Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

problem w/ TV

I would like to keep the origanal TV's that are in our MH at present time.2001 HR Endeavor. Can't get any stations with the ant. that is on the roof at this time. Where should I start to look for a solution??? Any help in this task will be appreciated. Thank you.
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Since all off air TV channels have gone digital, I'm hoping you are using a digital off air tuner box in the mix some where? Your post sound as you are trying to pick up analog TV stations that don't exist any longer.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Do have a digital antena added to your original antena, get it at Radio Shake it fixed mine. Check your 12V antena booster. Bob
Bob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like was said, you need the new tuner tech to pick-up digital over-the-air signals
See: The Digital TV Transition: What You Need to Know About DTV

If you still have a problem, you can add this to the standard Winegard "bat wing"
See: SENSAR RV VHF/UHF Television Antenna - #1 Antenna in the RV Industry!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 99 HR Vacationer came with a digital tuner, looks like from HR. It was in front of the coach, where the VCR was located.

I've pulled and given away the original TVs.... You'll need two tuners (one for each TV) or you'll need one tuner that will then control both TVs... If you're kinda handy, just get some reasonable size flat-screens with built in tuners...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the help. Is a converter box the same as the digital tuner??? Bob where should I look for the 12v booster and then how would I run a test on it??? Steve thanks for the web info sites, a lot of info, why did they do this change???Thanks again to everyone. Daffy Duck
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1: Is converter same as "Digital Converter" answer YES/2.. Digital tuner means one or both of 2 things, "Digital converter" is one of them. Example both of my TV's have digital tuners, but neither of them is ATSC digital (What the converters do). They do a different (Digital cable standard) digital.

Where is the 12 volt booster: If a winegard it is in the antenna itself. Many people think it is in the RV but it's not, it's in the antenna itself.

What is in the RV is the power supply/RV-selector switch. This may be a wall plate, usually this wall plate has a 12 volt outlet, a switch, a light, and an antenna connection, USUALLY it is near the front TV, note the word usually. Sometimes they do strange things. (IE the switch is no where near the wall plate)

The other option is a box of many buttons, all clearly labeled.

There are two tests. ONE requires you be watching a TV station, the other does not.

The one you can do now is done like this:

Turn off switch (light off) remove cable from roof top antenna (Disconnect at antenna) CAREFULLY hook a voltmeter, Red lead (Positive) to the center wire, black to the shell or nut. Make sure you do not short th wires,, Turn on switch should show battery voltage (12-14 volts). Turn off switch, remove meter from wire, re-connect.

The other one is to tune in a station, Note signal strength (Most converter boxes have signal meters you can access) and operate switch,, OFF station may well dissappear, ON good signal means Good booster.

The diagram for hookup.. NOTE: this may bother you if you are in a park with cable so more on that in a bit.

Current hookup

Ant----Switch====Televisons (note the two lines to TV's)

New hook up

Ant---Switch=====converters====Televisons

Note one converter per tv.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY DEVICE BETWEEN THE SWITCH AND THE ANTENNA.

Now, the problem is if you ever want to use park cable, you will need to bypass the converters

If you want to know how my system is set up.... Well I ran a whole lot of coax over and above what the factory installed so it's complex. but it's nice.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy Duck View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. Is a converter box the same as the digital tuner??? Bob where should I look for the 12v booster and then how would I run a test on it??? Steve thanks for the web info sites, a lot of info, why did they do this change???Thanks again to everyone. Daffy Duck
Daffy,

Ditto on all above for the name of the digital tuner, booster, and test.

You are welcome for the websites
They did this change to the TV channels after the 9/11 attacks.
Because Digital TV is so "compressed", they Free-up frequency space on the broadcast spectrum for Fire/Police/OES folks to share talk radio and data systems...those folks are talking on channels that used to be TV channels

There was some talk about migrating all existing AM/FM radios to digital also, but the Gov't just decided to leave it alone ($$$). They did approve/add digital broadcasting to the radio industry...so FYI, there are hundreds of add'l radio stations broadcasting on the FM band right now. But you have to get a new radio to receive the digital broadcasts
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Now, the problem is if you ever want to use park cable, you will need to bypass the converters
You can do this with a -3db splitter. Like this: Antenna to splitter, one splitter output to digital converter, other output to switch box (for the VCR and rear TV). Output of switch box via cable to signal input of TV, just like normal. A/V output of digital converter to TV (most converters have A/V outputs, some don't tho, while most TVs of that era have A/V inputs). Use 'Source' or 'Video Mode' button on TVs remote to switch between the two sources. No wires to switch. I can connect both off-the-air and park cable and switch between them easily...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote