Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markhansen
Problem with Atwood Levelers

Need some expert opinions. When I extend the levelers the one located front
drivers side with not extend all the way. The others seem fine. I read in the owners manual they are self-lubricated at factory and require no lubrication. In the past I have cleaned the jacks.
Any advise would be much appreciated.... thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From the manual I looked at, rather than being hydraulic jacks from one pump and reservoir with hydraulic hoses, it seems that there's a motor at each jack, perhaps driving a screw jack?? I'm not sure, but I'd call the Atwood number 800-884-7012 and ask. Perhaps you have one bad motor on that jack, but I'm only guessing. The manual doesn't go into details, but it shows a place to apply a wrench at the bottom of each jack motor to manually extend or retract the jack.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.21.07.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
These are electrically driven screw jacks as Bob guessed. The motor drives the top section which has several reduction gears which then drive a screw which is contained in the leg. About the only lubrication you can do on these is right on the end of the motor where a hex nut that allows manual operation is. If your coach is exposed to salt (beach or winter camping) the shaft will rust and get hard to turn. I've used WD-40 to free it up. Extending the legs fully and cleaning them may help as well.

Unfortunately you may be experiencing failure signs that many owners of these jacks including myself have had. Eventually the shear pin will break and the jack will fail completely. I replaced shear pins numerous times on mine. Atwood redesigned the system and after the repeated failures I had mine replaced. In this post, some Tiffin owners report that Tiffin helped defray the cost of replacement, even on a 2007.

I had the system replaced in early 2014 and so far it is working fine. The ratcheting when the jacks are being retracted was causing the shear pins to wear and break, the new system does not allow the ratcheting to occur, so I expect the new system to last the life of the coach.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

I had one of my jacks behave the same way as the OP. The tech removed the jack and cleaned it up. There was actually too much grease in there. I don't know what model year that you have, but my 2005 Pace Arrow uses the Atwood Levellers that sense an increase in current draw to determine when to shut down the motor when retracting. So if the jack doesn't move freely it shuts power down to that jack.
I also had the shear pins break repeatedly and the tech finally welded the thing. If anything goes wrong, it'll strip the motor's gears, but until then it works. If has bought me some time. The newly designed jacks with their integrated limit switch cost over $1000 each so I appreciate the extra time the welding has / is giving me.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

My problem is not with the jacks but with the control panel. Now I am hearing that Atwood has discontinued the control box meaning the entire system including jacks must be replaced. I am hearing that some people are taking out the control box and installing 4 individual switches, making this a manual operation. Anyone have experience?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

The link below may get you to a source for the controller. There are ( or were a couple of years ago) places that would rebuild the controller. The problem parts are the electro-mechanical relays used on the board to control motor direction. You can't get them in the US any more. However, I was able to buy some directly from China in case my controller ever goes bad. If you want the part number for the relay, let me know. I'm pretty sure you can still get them from China. I paid about $8 each for them (there are four on the board).

66274 by ATWOOD MOBILE - Buy or Repair at PLCCenter - PLCCenter.com
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhansen View Post
Need some expert opinions. When I extend the levelers the one located front
drivers side with not extend all the way. The others seem fine. I read in the owners manual they are self-lubricated at factory and require no lubrication. In the past I have cleaned the jacks.
Any advise would be much appreciated.... thanks
Please fill out your Signature so that we may better you.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #8

navigator336 thanks for posting the link to PLCCenter.com. I see that they have new, but also list a repair service for $280 Cdn ( almost free American) and a big surprise for me is that are located in my home province; a bonus for sure. I've bookmarked the site for future reference and hopefully I'll never need it.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

One thing that I think is detrimental to the earlier generation of the Levelegs is over-extending them. They have typically 13 to 15" of travel and start maybe 5 or 6" off the ground. Therefore they can bring the coach to level if off by 8 to 10". With this much extension, the mounting brackets can bend on retraction (learned the hard way) which ultimately puts more load on that jack. When I put mine down, if the site is more than 5 or 6" out of level, I block under the jack/jacks that will travel the most.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #10

When I first bought the coach the auto levelling was not set correctly and it routinely extended the jacks to Max. This is when I had trouble with them as well. Since I reset the definition of level to the controller and having welded the two front jacks in lieu of shear pins, I've been operating correctly. So the full extension may have been a contributing factor in the failures.

Tags
atwood, levelers