Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Problem with auto transfer switch

So sad, this is our third trip out in our brand new 2012 Itasca Sunstar. To date, we have had our share of troubles. De-laminating of almost all laminated surfaces, mirror that will not stay in position while driving, a few other minor bugs, we still can not get the satellite dish to work properly and now we arrived at our campsite on our third trip to find we have no electricity when we are plugged in. We changed sites thinking it was the campsite since the electricity worked fine at home, no dice. All good on generator power, turn off the generator and plug in the shore power, nothing! Called the dealer after we spent the evening troubleshooting, they confirmed our suspicions. Now we need to drive home and get it in to be fixed. Trouble is the dealer says they will not look at our darling for at least a week! Ee'gads! We have another trip planned in two weeks where we are to meet up with family. Someone please tell me how to get the dealer to work with us and get this fixed. We have talked to the service manager so much he now does not return our calls. I know I did not buy the most expensive RV out there but come on, it is brand new I should not be dealing with these issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Sounds like the transfer switch went bad. Mine went out in the first month. Hope your dealer has parts in stock, if not he will have to wait for Winney to send a warranty replacement part.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Your experiences sound like ours. We just purchased a 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 30A in February. Just got back from our first summer trip and need to leave for the next one next Friday. It's at Ford for the recall on the chassis and air conditioner problems, it was at the dealer to have every cabinet, laminated surface and non corian counter top replaced. The new parts came in bad, so they have been re-ordered. That will take another month. The house air is not working, it won't level properly and 2 of 3 TV's also need to be replaced. I won't bore you with the rest of the list, but it's extensive. Our dealer has no sense of urgency and we need to keep on them to get anything done.

Do you happen to have Vienna Maple cabinets? There is a post in the Winnebago owners forum form another Winnebago owner with the same cabinet problem, also Vienna Maple cabinets.

I recently saw a show on TV about how Winnebago builds their motorhomes in 4 days.... Maybe they should take 5.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

where is the transfer switch?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksgirl21
So sad, this is our third trip out in our brand new 2012 Itasca Sunstar. To date, we have had our share of troubles. De-laminating of almost all laminated surfaces, mirror that will not stay in position while driving, a few other minor bugs, we still can not get the satellite dish to work properly and now we arrived at our campsite on our third trip to find we have no electricity when we are plugged in. We changed sites thinking it was the campsite since the electricity worked fine at home, no dice. All good on generator power, turn off the generator and plug in the shore power, nothing! Called the dealer after we spent the evening troubleshooting, they confirmed our suspicions. Now we need to drive home and get it in to be fixed. Trouble is the dealer says they will not look at our darling for at least a week! Ee'gads! We have another trip planned in two weeks where we are to meet up with family. Someone please tell me how to get the dealer to work with us and get this fixed. We have talked to the service manager so much he now does not return our calls. I know I did not buy the most expensive RV out there but come on, it is brand new I should not be dealing with these issues.
That's really too bad. A new rig shouldn't have so many problems.

That's why I bought a pre-owned MH that was well taken care of. All those nagging issues have been solved by the previous owner........as well as the significant depreciation hit.

;-)
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksgirl21 View Post

About three years ago we had our coach at Camping World in Tallahassee trying to get the leveler fixed for a week ,they had been giving us the we're too busy treatment (we bought it there ,and were supposed to get special treatment),The DW drove over to see them . she asked where the nearest Home Depot was ...they said it was just up the road a bit. DW said if they didn't get going on it ,she was going to get a big piece of plywood and make a sign ....stating her opinion of their service

Things changed a little after that. the coach was ready the next morning.

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

The thing about brand new motorhomes is that for the first year there are alot of bugs that need to get ironed out. That first year is then followed by many more years of bugs. It never ends. Enjoy
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Sorry, that doesn't excuse cabinets delaminating. With all of the problems with this motor home, a call to Winnebago is in order. Do you have a lemon law in your state. You may qualify.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi macantic,
I do not know your brand of coach. The transfer switch is usually located in the same compartment that the shore power cord is in.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To O.P. :You have a lot planned for a "New-to-you" & brand new coach. Little time for break-in familiarity with the various systems. Go out an buy a surge protection device for shore power. This is a "first" item to have for an Rv'er. Learn the operation of the transfer switch & buy a plug-in circuit tester for the pedestal inspection before you plug-in for power. A Progressive Ind. surge protector is the best way to monitor incoming power, IMHO.

The transfer switchbox: I would rule-out the contacts before assuming the main circuit board to have failed. Might be sticking of the contacts, give it a sharp rap on the side of the housing (as it is hooked to shore power). You should hear a loud "Click" as the unit switches over to shore power.

If the only problem with the transfer switch is bad contacts, you can probably effect at least a temporary fix by cleaning/filing/burnishing the contact surfaces. Just be sure to kill ALL power to the coach (including the inverter) before working on the transfer switch. Any electrician can inspect the unit's interior and safely "clean" the contacts; and not necessarily an RV tech. If corrosion is evident, take a picture as proof of evidence. [Your mfgr will want the dealer to effect repairs for warranty coverage. If you had a Tiffin product, you would get an automatic transfer box replacement with no fuss whatsoever.]

Satellite mess might be a simple configuration setup. Direct vs Dish service provider; a "reset" of parameters or a "feed source" selection on the TV setup. If it worked at sale then it's likely an user error with the controls.

Sadly I have to report, Delamination of veneers usually means the coach's interior has been subjected to extreme heat build-up for an extended period to cause the adhesive bond to fail. The dealer's on-site storage prior to sale is the blame for this and not the manufacturer. I would worry about wallpaper and the remaining interior finishes as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a friend or relative that knows just a little about electricity? A coach this new should not have a bad transfer switch. Usually I found a loose wire, which only required tightening. A couple of times it was wood chips from the building process. This is not rocket science. anyone with just a little elec. exp. should be able to find the problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan
Satellite mess might be a simple configuration setup. Direct vs Dish service provider; a "reset" of parameters or a "feed source" selection on the TV setup. If it worked at sale then it's likely an user error with the controls.
I have a thought about the satellite issue. The satellite dish on my motorhome can be used with DirecTV or Dish but it comes from the factory set to receive DirectTV only. If I want to use it with Dish Network I have to climb up on the roof, take off the cover and change the setting.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

If heat build up in storage will cause delamination of surfaces, then they should come with a warning that they cannot be used, sold or stored in southwestern United States.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #14

Southwestern United States you say, we've had 105* days here on the east coast for the past few days.
Got up this morning & went outside, was 80* & the cool lite wind felt like the A/C was on.
Neil