Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Problem with coach batteries going dead

Anyone have any suggestions, I hane a 2003 Itasca motorhome and just took it out of storage. I had the batteries on a trickle charge all winter, when I brought the coach in for service the batteries were fine. When I picked up the coach one week later the batteries were dead. I did notice this on my last trip in late November when I went to a fair and had to use the coach batteries, when I got up in the morning they were dead. If I run the generator or start the engine for about half an hour it charges them back up to 13.2 + volts but only for a short time then they loose their charge again. This happens with everything off inside the coach. I checked the batteries with a voltage meter and they were 12.5 volts but that was shortly after I had charger them with the coach running. I will check them after 24 hrs to see how low they go, the batteries ate 4 years old, could it be the batteries or the converter charger? Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Pull the batteries and have them load tested, volt meter is not a good test, 1 or more are bad , replace all batteries if any are bad.
If the convertor charger is bringing them up to 13.2 volts , that sounds like it's doing it's job.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Thanks, that was the next thing I was going to try tomorrow. Can I bring them to an auto parts store to have them checked?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

^^^
Yes, and be sure to get the right size replacement. Newer batteries are the same size but have more CCA capacitiy.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

What does CCA stand for?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Cold Cranking Amperage.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

Thanks to all, getting it ready for Myrtle Beach in one week.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #8

How's the water level?
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleycruise View Post
Thanks to all, getting it ready for Myrtle Beach in one week.
Don't expect to ride your Bike without being hassled. Google it!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Also check your Alternator, went not running your alternator could be drawing a charge, I seen that happen a few time.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

I takes a lot longer than a half hour to charge low batteries. More like 6-8 hours. You just read the surface charge on them. Charge a long time and check with a hydrometer, then check voltage again in the morning for a true charge.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Your converter should be a three stage charger. The first stage will be the Bulk Charge State normally used when the batteries are very low followed by the Absorption Charge State and finally the Float Charge State.

If the batteries are really low, the Bulk Charge rate will be about 14.6 - 14.7 VDC. The Absorption Charge rate will be about 13.8 - 14.0 VDC and the final Float Charge rate should be around 13.6 - 13.7 VDC.

If when charging you are only seeing 12. something then there is a problem.

Need more information to followup with more help.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Your converter should be a three stage charger. The first stage will be the Bulk Charge State normally used when the batteries are very low followed by the Absorption Charge State and finally the Float Charge State.

If the batteries are really low, the Bulk Charge rate will be about 14.6 - 14.7 VDC. The Absorption Charge rate will be about 13.8 - 14.0 VDC and the final Float Charge rate should be around 13.6 - 13.7 VDC.

If when charging you are only seeing 12. something then there is a problem.

Need more information to followup with more help.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I had the batteries on the trickle charger over the winter so they should have been fine. I have a big charger that I can put on for a few hours. I will check thins out today and let you know how I make out.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Good info so far however, DO NOT replace your batteries with "Starting" batteries, which are rate in CCA. You want true DEEP CYCLE rated in AH (Amp Hours). If your present batteries are starting batteries, then that is most likely your problem. They will only take about 5-7 times being totally discharged before they become useless. You also don't want "Marine" batteries as they are a hybrid between those 2, but still a bit better than starting batteries. The optimal would be two 6V Trojan T-105s. The Interstate U2200s are also good. The ones at Costco or Sam's club will also do well at a good price. Assuming you have two 12v now and time constraints (changing cables from 12v -Parallel to 6v -Series), at least get only 12v true deep cycle rated in AH.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote