Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Problem with onboard air quick connector - '02 Phaeton

The quick connector on my air access valve seems to be some kind of strange, non-standard fitting. I would like to be able to connect a standard air fitting for adding air to my tires, but cannot because of this strange fitting. I have tried to remove it so that I can install a standard air fitting, but it seems siezed on, a steel male thread in a brass female fitting with some black goop in the threads. Don't know if heat would loosen it or not.

Just bought my coach in February, so I don't know where this strange fitting came from. I can't believe it is stock Tiffin hardware. Any ideas on removing this thing?

2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Some coaches have a male and a female connector. They are there in case your vehicle needs to be towed. The towing vehicle can apply air pressure to release the brakes.
If you must change something, change the fitting on your air hose to match the fitting on your coach.

Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are quite a few air fittings (for some unknown reason) so you would be better off trying to locate the proper male fitting for your quick connect. Look on the quick connect for any numbers, those should help in securing the right fitting.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
The idiot manufactors only made a jillion different air chucks that will not interchange. If you can get where you can see the side of the coupler there should be a number on it. You may be able to find matching parts that way.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Suggest you call Tiffin & they should be able to tell you the "type" of connector....then go to a specialized hardware/equipment store....they will have the correct connector.....no big deal.
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think what you are referring to is a type C automotive fitting. It looks strange as most of have always used type D fittings.

Both are available in 1/4" NPT.

Typically you will have one male and female fitting. THe male is used for filling the system from an external source, such as would be needed for towing. The female fitting will allow you to use the onboard compressor to air your tires etc.. (see post 26 in this thread What Have You Done To Your Motorhome?)

On my coach I changed out the coaches fittings for Type D, rather than have two different style wire hoses laying around the shop. If you can't remove the female fitting on your coach you could simply change the male fitting on your air hose to match the Type C female fitting.

Both fittings are common and can be found at Lowes, NAPA, etc.. or ordered on-line. Probably easiest to pull up to Lowes or NAPA and take a couple fittings out to see what fits. Be sure to test with female fittings placed on to the coaches male fitting. If you do it the other way around you will feel a strong blast of air.

I've included a couple pics. the one on the left is the Type D, leaving the one on the right to be the Automotive Type C.
Attached Images
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
I was finally able to make out the words Style A on the sleeve of the female connector, so I think I am looking for a male style A fitting. Thanks for your help.
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Napa has both types available.

Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote