Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Problem with Radio and Lights

I have been getting my coach ready for sale and came up with a new problem after getting the tires replaced several days ago. When 120 vac external power or the generator is not providing 120 vac to the coach, the radio nor any of the overhead lights operate. In the past, as long as the ignition switch was turned on, the radio and overhead lights operated fine, without a 120 vac source. Now they only operate with 120 vac provided. I don't understand because these lights, as well as the radio, use 12 volts DC. I also have a bad vibration on the coach after I hit 60 miles an hour. The vibration was not there before the tire change. They used balancing beads, saying they were much preferred on an RV, better than weight balancing. Any ideas, especially on the radio/lighting problem, would be much appreciated. I believe the vibration is being caused by either a bad tire, or improper balancing. Thanks for your help on this. Have a great day.

jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

I've used balancing beads on only one set of tires but was very pleased with the results. I suspect you have a tire that is out of round or is not properly centered on the wheel. I would return to the tire vender for resolution.
On the lights/radio problem, I suspect dead coach batteries or loose/corroded battery connections. With the ignition on the radio is likely powered by the chassis battery and switches to coach battery when ignition is off.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I've used balancing beads on only one set of tires but was very pleased with the results. I suspect you have a tire that is out of round or is not properly centered on the wheel. I would return to the tire vender for resolution.
On the lights/radio problem, I suspect dead coach batteries or loose/corroded battery connections. With the ignition on the radio is likely powered by the chassis battery and switches to coach battery when ignition is off.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned starting the thread that the coach motor starts just fine. And that the coach engine start battery is almost brand new. Is there any kind of switch or sensor that decides where to draw power for these components (radio and overhead lights), whenever external 120 vac is applied? I thought that the overhead lights and radio are powered by the single 12 vac coach start battery and not the motor home parallel batteries, whenever external 120 vac is not applied.. Please correct me if I am wrong. Again, thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

I got to thinking. My wife was helping me clean up the coach when I discovered the problem and I had her turn off the engine battery at the overhead entrance panel. I am now wondering if she also got her hand on the coach power switch also and turned off coach battery power. The MH is in storage 50 miles away so I cannot check that out tonight. If that switch was turned off inadvertently, that would cause the problem, am I correct?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #5

Jim
The symptoms you write about are most likely caused by failure of the coach battery(s) or a bad battery connection. You get power to your coach lights and your radio when connected to 120 vac by way of your converter. It is intended to power your house loads plus charge the coach batteries.

I would start troubleshooting by disconnecting from 120 vac and checking voltage at the house battery. You should have a battery readout on your tank level indicator panel, or you can use a volt ohm meter (VOM) at the battery. If voltage is low do not jump immediately to replacement. Remove, clean and replace coach battery cable lugs. Then follow the cables to where they connect to a ground bolt on the chassis frame and the other to a 12v electric distribution panel. Make sure those connections are clean and tight. (This should be done periodically anyway.) Now with the coach reconnected to 120vac, check battery voltage again. If the voltage at the battery is rising you have fixed the problem. If not, remove the battery and take it to one of your local auto parts stores and ask them to do a load test. They'll tell you in short order if the battery is at fault.

Good luck and please let us know how this goes.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Jim
Our posts must have passed each other on the way to the forum. The answer to your latest question is yes, if the 12v side of the converter is connected to the downstream side of the coach battery disconnect it would act as you describe.

Tags
light, lights, radio