Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Problems at 60K miles?

What kinds of issues could I expect on a 20 year old rig with 60K miles? I'm considering making a two hour trip to look at this rig and who knows, maybe I'll buy it. I have not seen it yet nor spoken to anyone about it. All I know at this point is what is in this link - 1993 Winnebago Adventurer 34ra, Clyde OH - 108636948 - RVTrader.com

My two questions I have right now are -

1) With 60K miles on a 20 yr old rig, what things could I expect to need repaired or replaced, if anything at all? I'm talking mechanical things like brakes, hoses, belts, wheel bearings, exhaust, etc. I don't own one yet so I don't know how durable things are made on a MH. This is a Winnie so I would expect it's pretty well made.

2) Those big numbers on the back exterior wall - does that means this was a rental?
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
For sure the belts and hoses should be changed if original. I always told my customers to change all five of the rubber hoses in the brake system.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't know what those rear numbers are. I have never seen them before.
Ask to see the title. It will tell you if it was owned by a rental company. If a private owner ask if you can call them.
Check where outside walls meet the ceiling and corners. If any staining, it is, or was, a water leak. Climb on the roof and see if it has been re-coated or is original.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Be sure to check the age of the tires. If you purchase, it may be that you will need new tires before driving home. A blowout on the way home could be a disaster.

The big black number may be a membership number in the WIT (Winnebago owners club). You should be able to Google this organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
What kinds of issues could I expect on a 20 year old rig with 60K miles? I'm considering making a two hour trip to look at this rig and who knows, maybe I'll buy it. I have not seen it yet nor spoken to anyone about it. All I know at this point is what is in this link - 1993 Winnebago Adventurer 34ra, Clyde OH - 108636948 - RVTrader.com

My two questions I have right now are -

1) With 60K miles on a 20 yr old rig, what things could I expect to need repaired or replaced, if anything at all? I'm talking mechanical things like brakes, hoses, belts, wheel bearings, exhaust, etc. I don't own one yet so I don't know how durable things are made on a MH. This is a Winnie so I would expect it's pretty well made.

2) Those big numbers on the back exterior wall - does that means this was a rental?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
JCarlson,
While you are checking the hoses, brakes and belts, don't forget to check the tires. It is entirely possible they are old enough to need replacing whether they look good or not. Tires can be a major expense.

CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
basically you need to check everything from the front bumper all of the way to the back bumper. You do not have a clue as to how the previous owner maintained or used the unit.

The big numbers on the back could be FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) or WIT (Winnebago-Itasca Travelers).

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanPilot View Post
JCarlson,
While you are checking the hoses, brakes and belts, don't forget to check the tires. It is entirely possible they are old enough to need replacing whether they look good or not. Tires can be a major expense.

OH, I agree about tires google getting the dates off the tires and then check prices for those tires you're in for an education I tell Ya

Still it could be a good rig and last for years just will need to be maintained and watched over. Lots of rigs on the road way past 100K.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks to be in very good condition for a 1993 model. It looks as though it has been well maintained. Does it have a maintenance log? I would flush the radiator, transmission and brakes and have the differential oil changed. Check the number of hours on the generator. Change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter on the generator. Check the generator by running the two air conditioners off the generator. As stated above make sure the tires are in good shape and inflated to proper pressure. Check out the water heater for leaks and make sure it works. Check the refrigerator on propane and 120 VAC.

If it checks out, it should be good for many miles and years.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Mine is 20 years old 85K miles. I met with the PO and he showed me his records. I thought I was anal but this way overkill down to the model# of 12 volt bulbs. If you can't do this, pay someone who knows, (not the dealer!) to do an inspection. A couple of hundred bucks may save you a lot of grief. In any case, be prepared to spend some $$$. These things become very personal and there is always something you would like to do to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Lack of use not abuse is the main death of a motor coach. This coach may qualify for the lack of use. In addition to the items already posted:
1. bugs and critters (fecal mess and nests)
2. dry rot (walk on the roof)
3. physically get in the storage compartments, look and smell
4. test drive will be really important
5. anything with a seal may work when you buy it however it will most likely leak or just quit working (ex, HVAC, all automotive, propane system) in the first year or two.

Unless you are really lucky, there will be several thousand $s in repairs the first year or two of ownership.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
  • anything rubber - belts, hoses, tires, etc.
  • anything liquid needs changed - radiator, oil, transmission, diff, brake fluid, etc.
  • if it's on a chevrolet P30 series chassis -
    • steering bellcranks wear out in ~15k miles, best fix is to replace with aftermarket units from Henderson with roller bearings instead of the OEM bushing. When worn they introduce slop in the steering and make ite coach require constant correct to keep it going straight and in the lane.
    • front springs if stock will have airbags, and are an important part of the suspension. They are rubber - see the first bullet
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #12

HOLY SMOKES!! Wow am I in for a treat. 20 yr old, 60k miles, that's an average of 3k miles/yr so it's not like it hasn't been used, which is why I ask what could I look to be replacing soon. I ride that many miles on my MC and I ride that a lot.

The price tag on this is on par with NADA so I'm wondering if it's "too good to be true" or if it's "the one that got away". I need to keep in mind it's a trade in (or an auction possibly) so I know it's marked way up from the purchase price.

I look at it like a car. After xxx miles things wear out - that's just how it is. I just didn't want to make a two hour drive only to find it's junk, or make a rookie purchase only to be slapped with things I should have known about or atleast known to look for.

I know how to buy a car but I don't know how to buy a MH.

Jim
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #13

Does your state require a road certification. In Ontario, all vehicles sold have to pass a safety certification with the ministry ( DOT). Is the seller selling it certified. If not it may need steering components, brakes, tires ect. Another thing is some insurance companies want the propane to be certified on older vehicles before they will insure them. Be wary of any dealer who wont certify a vehicle. Beware of YOU CERTIFY, YOU SAVE. Usually means they know whats wrong with it, and it is too expensive for it to be worth their while to fix.Good luck
Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #14

Winniman - good tip! Thanks for that. I'm in Ohio and I'll check.