Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Problems with buying MH not driven for years

I recently found a 35' Sportscoach Cross Country with 22,000 miles in immaculate condition. It has been garaged since new. The MH was owned by an older couple who both have passed away. Their grandson is the executor of their estate and has offered to sell the MH for a VERY reasonable price.

Now the problems. It's powered by a 300hp Cummins and I was surprised to find an Allison 5 speed; expecting a 6 speed. Initially the batteries were dead however after a charge the cummins fired right up and seemed to run great. No oil spots on the floor under the engine & trans. The grandson thinks the MH was started occasionally however it hasn't been driven for approx. 4 years. Still has the original tires and don't know about the storage batteries. I know the tires & batteries will likely need replaced. I am concerned about seals etc. in the engine/trans.

My question is, have any forum members bought a MH with these circumstances and what problems did you have?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
That rig sounds like a great find. I have not had such luck so no first hand experience.

But....tires, batteries and maybe hoses could be a concern. Each are relatively inexpensive. You do not indicate how old the rig is so tires are merely a queston mark.

Replace the engine and generator oil and filters and enjoy.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

i all so have a 37' Sportscoach Cross Country 2006 that set for along time 3 to 4 years this RV likes to run hot after driving it for 2 years what happens is it blows hot air out the back like most RVs do to get better MPG but it sucks up alot of trash and add some oil and sand and the fins in the air cooler and radiator get full and well pass air if it is a good price and you are a do it your self guy then i would get the RV pull the radiator and the air cooler and it that time you can see every thing on the motor and see what else it could need from there
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If the price is right and you like the layout, I'd say go for it. Allow for tires, batteries, hoses, oil and transmission fluid changes. Does it have an exhaust brake? That tells you the torque converter is a 'lock-up' type and can assist in slowing down. Kept in a garage is a huge plus in roof condition, leaks, rust, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the price is right and you like the layout, I'd say go for it. Allow for tires, batteries, hoses, oil and transmission fluid changes. Does it have an exhaust brake? That tells you the torque converter is a 'lock-up' type and can assist in slowing down. Kept in a garage is a huge plus in roof condition, leaks, rust, etc.
Sorry I failed to mention it is a 2004 model and does have exhaust brake.

One of my concerns is towing a dinghy with the 5 speed?

I am a DIYer so will change all filters, hoses, other servicing etc. before driving if I purchase the MH.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GigaWatt,
As to towing, it all depends on weight. My coach has a Cummins ISC 330 HP. My combined weight is a bit more than 37K. In the mountains, patience is required. Other than that, the Cummins will run all day without any problems or irritations.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Check your weights. I'm towing a car with a Allison AT542 which only a 4 speed.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

I have had my hoses & belt inspected a couple times with an eye on PV, but the techs tell me they're fine and should last 300,000.

Think you're just looking at oil changes (2X in the first 5K you drive it), tranni maintenance (maybe a flush), new filters and you should be good. Have the oils tested by Blackstone before you buy if you can.

Then batteries and tires.

Something I'd do, don't know if it's necessary, is to plan trips that are not to stressful and tend to stay close to repair places. No mountain driving for the first 5K you put on it. Limber it up first before heading up the Tetons.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

Be careful. Our first motorhome sat quite a while. We had all kinds of problems. Brakes, tires, generator relay switch, toilet, lots of electrical (12 v) problems, generator fuel lines. Trust me, the list goes on. We found the worst unit to buy is one that is never used. Except for the tires and brakes, the chassis was the least of the troubles.

We thought finding this low mileage, seldom used coach was a blessing. It turned out it was a curse.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
Be careful. Our first motorhome sat quite a while. We had all kinds of problems. Brakes, tires, generator relay switch, toilet, lots of electrical (12 v) problems, generator fuel lines. Trust me, the list goes on. We found the worst unit to buy is one that is never used. Except for the tires and brakes, the chassis was the least of the troubles.

We thought finding this low mileage, seldom used coach was a blessing. It turned out it was a curse.
This is the exact scenario I am worried will happen. Years ago I bought a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup that sat in a barn for several years after the owner died. I cleaned all of the fuel system, changed the oil and started driving. Ended up replacing about half the engine valves that had pitted while setting, the entire exhaust system all 4 tires and numerous other parts!!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
This is the exact scenario I am worried will happen. Years ago I bought a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup that sat in a barn for several years after the owner died. I cleaned all of the fuel system, changed the oil and started driving. Ended up replacing about half the engine valves that had pitted while setting, the entire exhaust system all 4 tires and numerous other parts!!
That was a gas vehicle. Have the oil changed and analysed and try each system. RV's sit a lot of their life, this one had the added advantage of being in a garage.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #12

We purchased a rig that was 5 years old with very little use. It had sat outside and had some fading. We have had it 3 years and no major problems yet. I changed the oil and filters as soon as I got it. I checked for recalls on all of the major parts (engine, trans, refrigerator, etc.... ) Buying a used unit is always a gamble, but if the price is right.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post

This would be the same issue I would worry about. Sitting for a long time and having corrosion on the wire connections and also depending on where it sat at mice or other rodents chewing on wiring. I would see if I could get a copy of the electrical schematics for the coach. Electrical troubleshooting is not hard merely time consuming. If nothing has chewed wires them most problems would be connectors and you can usually fix those relatively easy and cheaply. I might ask the owner if you can take it to an RV shop and have them evaluate it for you. Have someone with experience go over it and look for possible problems.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Also check your brakes, brake fluid and hoses. There was a thread a few days ago that I can't find but someone bought a used coach that also had not been used for a while and low mileage. On the first trip out the brakes failed due to bad and contaminated break fluid I think. So add this to the list of service items. Good luck and post some pictures, we like pictures and keep us updated on what you do.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen