Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Procedure for changing out house batteries

I'm putting my noobishness on full display here.

I'm going to be replacing the four house batteries in my coach. I keep it plugged in to shore power. Do I simply toggle the battery disconnect and change them out, or is there more involved?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

It's that simple!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
First, get a picture of the current battery set up and all of the cables. I know you think you will remember what goes to what, but trust me, take the picture so you are sure when you finish that everything is connected the way it was before.

Then, we take the inverter off of charge setting - not sure if you have a converter or inverter/charger, throw the disconnect switch and start working. This is also the time to really clean out the tray, so have water, baking soda, gloves, wire brush to clean the cable ends, etc., and wear old clothes.

Make sure everything is tight when you reconnect. Look at the picture you took before and manual retrace each cable to make sure it is connected right, throw the switch back, set the inverter to charge and your good to go.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #4

I believe on Newmar coaches, if you have a large inverter/charger (which I suspect your 39ft rig has) the inverter is connected directly to the coach battery via something like a 300 amp fuse (not isolated by the battery disconnect switch). This means the inverter/charger would be attempting to charge the battery or maintain float voltage. I think you would be best to disconnect from shore power while replacing the batteries otherwise you will have inverter/chahrging voltage present on a positive battery cable. I would not run generator during this evolution either as they typically have a DC charging circuit output also.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
And when you think you have all the wires hooked backup, look one more time. Some of the smaller wires have a way of sneaking off when you are not looking.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
paz

I also recommend turning off the fridge using the power switch on the fridge itself, especially if you have a Norcold. I replaced our house batteries last year and only turned off the 12V disconnect switch. Somehow, it accidentally got turned back on, and when I connected up the batteries, the voltage surge caused the Norcold recall box to trip. Norcold replaced the switch at no cost, but I had to pay for the mobile service call myself ($75).
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I second the recommendations to take a photo and to disconnect shore power and turn off fridge, etc. It is a pretty straight forward operation with the biggest hassle (at least for me) is getting the batteries out of their holder/s and out from behind the steps. Oh for a slideout tray!!

Semper Fi ! Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a photo, I did and was glad. I unplugged from the shore power and disconnecte the positive terminals, then the negative. Replaced them and reconnected in opposite order (negative then positive). Working fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

When I removed my three 8D batteries, I used my lable maker to identify all the Pos. & Neg. cables. Makes hooking back up easy. I didn't need a photo because all Pos, & Neg cables go to their respevtive posts on my unit.
alfalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do both

Turn everything off. Label every wire. Take pictures. Draw pictures. Test the voltage before you turn anything back on.

Oh, and get help. Those things are freakin' heavy.

I learned these things the hard way.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All mine were color coded too so that along with the pictures helped, even so I missed a charge line from the alternator. It fell back behind the tray, didn't take long to figure out it was missing and to find it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Like all have said, cut shore power, hit the battery disconnect switch, take a picture and tag each wire. I also draw a picture showing where the pos & neg posts are on my 4 batteries and which wires go to them ie; pos post marked #1 on paper and a tag is placed on the wire or wires marked as #1. To make sure I don't forget a wire, if there are two or more wires connected to a post I use a plastic wire tie to keep them together. I prefer to disconnect negatives first and when reinstalling negatives last. Just my thing.

BTW, I also installed the pro fill battery system, a lot easier to maintain the batteries. And since using it I have not had a problem with battery corrosion.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was told to disconnect neg first, then pos. Also, to disconnect the neg on the chassis battery as there can be power coming from there as well.

Remember to lift with your legs, NOT your back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Before installing the new batteries, as stated earlier clean the area good, so it is free of any battery acid. Let dry completely and coat the entire area with the black "under coating" you can get this from Wal Mart or the auto parts house. This will help protect the metal from further rust.

Tags
batteries