Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't find one that was focused on the buying process...

We're looking at buying a high-end DP Class A within about 6 months. We're looking at something on the order of a Essex or King Aire, or possibly a Select or Select limited. But there's some very specific customizations we're going to want in furniture layout in the living/dining areas. Specifically:

1. Removing a seating area and replacing it with computer desks.
2. Changing the other seating area to recliners/theatre seating.
3. Depending on floor plan, moving dining area to other side of coach.
4. Installation of larger flat panel HDTV than is normally installed. Or at least changing location.

Best case, we get what we want from the manufacturer. Middle case, we get the customer to not include any of the built-in furniture (seats, dining table, etc), and we get it done by a custom show. Worst case, the custom shop has to rip out what the factory put in.

What's the best way to discuss the feasibility of these changes with a manufacturer or dealer? We haven't decided on a dealer yet. I'd hate to tie up a lot of time discussing these problems with a dealer that's not going to get the deal.

On a similar note, how do people pick a dealer to purchase from? We're talking a $500k purchase, potentially. There's no dealers near us now, and we're not going to be living where are are now when we purchase. We're going full time, so we're not going to have a "home location" where we want a local dealer.

joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

JOE

Why limit yourself to just these units. I think I would go down to the owners corner and get the web sites from all these major brands and check each one for their floor plans. It would probably be a lot easier to get one if they have a plan your want. Also, there is more to a coach than just the floor plan. Engine, frams, included equipment and so forth. Also your bargining power would be more favorable if you ordered a coach they have in production. Remember, just about every coach needs to go back to the warranty department for repairs, so picking a coach and dealer is important. You have to bring the coach to them for repairs. So going many miles for repairs is not good. This needs to be considered.

For example, The brand I am familar with, Monaco, makes 4 major brands, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, Monaco and Safari. Go to each of their web sites and look for the floor plan you think you might like. ( More important, visit as many dealers as possible and see first hand what kind of workmanship they have and etc. Make sure you check out the coaches extra weight they can carry if you are going fulltime. This is referred to as the CCC.

As far as warranty repairs, Monaco offers repairs at each of their many dealers as well as the factory in Indiana and their repair facility in Wildwood Florida (really nice here with their set-up and campground.)

If possible, go to the FMCA rally (go to their web site and see when they will have one near you) and you will get to see just about all the major brands together. Also, a good place to get deals.

If you plan on buying an existing model coach, you should expect to get at least 23 to 28 percent off the MSRP. I would think if you buy a custom made coach, there would be no deals.
Good luck and come back to this board if you have any more questions. Lot of nice folks here s/Toby

Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Toby:
JOE

Why limit yourself to just these units. I think I would go down to the owners corner and get the web sites from all these major brands and check each one for their floor plans. It would probably be a lot easier to get one if they have a plan your want. Also, there is more to a coach than just the floor plan. Engine, frams, included equipment and so forth. Also your bargining power would be more favorable if you ordered a coach they have in production. Remember, just about every coach needs to go back to the warranty department for repairs, so picking a coach and dealer is important. You have to bring the coach to them for repairs. So going many miles for repairs is not good. This needs to be considered.

For example, The brand I am familar with, Monaco, makes 4 major brands, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, Monaco and Safari. Go to each of their web sites and look for the floor plan you think you might like. ( More important, visit as many dealers as possible and see first hand what kind of workmanship they have and etc. Make sure you check out the coaches extra weight they can carry if you are going fulltime. This is referred to as the CCC.

As far as warranty repairs, Monaco offers repairs at each of their many dealers as well as the factory in Indiana and their repair facility in Wildwood Florida (really nice here with their set-up and campground.)

If possible, go to the FMCA rally (go to their web site and see when they will have one near you) and you will get to see just about all the major brands together. Also, a good place to get deals.

If you plan on buying an existing model coach, you should expect to get at least 23 to 28 percent off the MSRP. I would think if you buy a custom made coach, there would be no deals.
Good luck and come back to this board if you have any more questions. Lot of nice folks here s/Toby
We've already spent a lot of time researching brands and models. I don't think going over all that territory again is going to gain us much. No manufacturer makes a standard floor plan that has the specific features we want, so we're going to need it customized somehow no matter what.

joe
Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #4

Joe,

What you need to do is travel to the factories of the makes you have chosen. You can talk directly to them and tour the factories.

Also, the 2008 coach floorplans are starting to go into production and maybe there have been some changes to your liking.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by GStream40:
Joe,

What you need to do is travel to the factories of the makes you have chosen. You can talk directly to them and tour the factories.
Yeah, that's what we're thinking. Looking at when to go to Indiana now. Any thoughts on dealers?

joe
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Flying Driver

At the level you are talking about there are probably 5 dealers in the entire country that are anywhere near competent in the service area. Getting support is much better at factory service centers.

The only dealers I am familiar with are Buddy Gregg in Knoxville and Lewisville, Autohaus in New York (I think), Lazy Days in FL and some latitude for someone else to come up with one more if possible.

I am not in that range, but the only dealer I will allow to work on my coach is Buddy Gregg. I go to the factory service centers for work. Monaco has them in IN, FL and OR.

Make your deal at the factory and take delivery at the factory. That way you do not have to mess with the games dealers play.

Dave O
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave O:

Make your deal at the factory and take delivery at the factory. That way you do not have to mess with the games dealers play.

Dave O
Hmm. Can you buy direct from factory without a dealer? With similar discounts? I've heard 20-25% off is not uncommon. If so, that's probably what we'll do. We're going full-time with this coach, don't have a "home base", and really have no desire to deal with any local dealer or service shop.

joe
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe

Quote:
Hmm. Can you buy direct from factory without a dealer? With similar discounts?
The direct answer to your question is no. The realistic answer is almost. You make the deal with the factory, a dealer you both agree upon prepares the paperwork as directed by the factory, you sign and that is the end of any dealings with dealer.

From that point on everything is with the factory and thier folks.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The direct answer to your question is no. The realistic answer is almost. You make the deal with the factory, a dealer you both agree upon prepares the paperwork as directed by the factory, you sign and that is the end of any dealings with dealer.

From that point on everything is with the factory and their folks.
You're referring to Monaco?

Never heard of Newmar doing this.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dirk

Yes I was referring to Monaco and specifically to the higher end coachs from Oregon. I have friends that have done this.

Dave O
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
OK, I see.

At Newmar, you can go to the factory and meet with a factory rep, review options, and see what special changes Newmar may be willing to do, and Newmar will do a lot of specials that other manufacturers will not do.

All price negotiating and ordering must be done through a dealer.

However, you can take factory delivery, for an additional cost.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dirk

With no personal experience with this, I am not sure the process is all that different. I do know I have heard of Monaco stepping in during negotiations and taking part. Not sure exactly to what extent though.

If someone wants to do this I would definitely get in contact with the Monaco senior sales force in Coburg and work with them to arrive at a satisfactory coach and solution to all concerned. It is my plan when I can afford it. C'mon lotto.

Dave O
Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #13

Check out this web site: www.RVPricebusters.com I was blown away by their pricing. The quote I got was 11,000 less than my local dealer's "sale price." I'm going to study long and hard about buying out of state.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #14

Northtrails RV was happy to work with me on specials. I think it is common to agree on a discount of something like 25% and then have the specials passed along at invoiced cost. At the last minute I ended up going with a Foretravel from their dealer Parliament Coach in Clearwater specifically because both Foretravel and Parliament do custom design work on virtually evry coach they sell.

good luck

2007 Foretravel Nimbus
joppa is offline   Reply With Quote