Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

We drove to Tampa this morning to pick up our MH and were enjoying the drive home when all of a sudden, POP! The truck in front of us either kicked up a rock or one came flying out of his truck, but it hit the windshield and left a chip.

The good news is that our insurance company (Progressive/Drive) took care of everything in about 10 minutes. I called them from my cell phone while we were driving, and they are sending a mobile glass repair company to our home tomorrow to repair the chip. Since it was the windshield, there was no deductible. If this chip should develop into a crack they will replace the windshield. It really pays to be insured by a good company, doesn't it?

PS The truck which either dropped the rock or kicked it up had a large sign on the back that read: <span class="ev_code_RED">"We are not responsible for cracked or broken windshields. Stay 200' behind."</span> You couldn't read the sign unless you were about 10' from the back of the truck.

So, if we don't want to be responsible for something, all we have to do is affix a sign? All-righty then.
Cookestwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

We drove to Tampa this morning to pick up our MH and were enjoying the drive home when all of a sudden, POP! The truck in front of us either kicked up a rock or one came flying out of his truck, but it hit the windshield and left a chip.

The good news is that our insurance company (Progressive/Drive) took care of everything in about 10 minutes. I called them from my cell phone while we were driving, and they are sending a mobile glass repair company to our home tomorrow to repair the chip. Since it was the windshield, there was no deductible. If this chip should develop into a crack they will replace the windshield. It really pays to be insured by a good company, doesn't it?

PS The truck which either dropped the rock or kicked it up had a large sign on the back that read: <span class="ev_code_RED">"We are not responsible for cracked or broken windshields. Stay 200' behind."</span> You couldn't read the sign unless you were about 10' from the back of the truck.

So, if we don't want to be responsible for something, all we have to do is affix a sign? All-righty then.
Cookestwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had a windshield taken care of on my 2004 Bus. Progressive was very responsive and I was very happy with the way they handled it. By the way, I had Drive insurance, which is Progressive, but sold through a local independant insurance agent. He actually bettered the online price that I got direct from Progressive. So, if you are thinking about Progressive I highly recommend them but get the online quote and then go to a local agent. You might save some money.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #4

Everyone can put a sign up but that does not mean you cannot be sued, thirty dollars and a pen or typwriter will allow you to sue. (some knowleadge required) Reminds me of the guy that had a sign in his front yard, beware of dangerous dog, someone climbed the fence was bitten by the dog, he was sued for having a dangerous dog.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

I just filed a claim with Progressive for some collision damage in a campsite...handled very well and fast...ZERO complaints with the claim or the repair using their "preferred" shop
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate to burst your bubble, but almost all of the insurance companies include "free windshield repair" as part of their insurance package. It is cheaper to repair than to wait for the crack to grow and then replace the whole windshield. I am an insurance agent in Chicago and all of the national companies use the same mobile windshied repair process. It works very well and is a permanent fix, also a less chance of water intrusion because the repair process doesn't require breaking the seal between the windshield and the fiberglass. Also, the truck company is responsible for anything falling off the back of their truck - regardless of what the sign says.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #7

Those big windshields are nice to look out of but,they sure do catch a lot of stuff.
I've had a few replaced.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #8

I had to have the driver's side windshield replaced in Portland this last summer. Got a big rock somewhere in Nevada. The insurance paid for the windshield, but wouldn't pay for a new "gasket/seal" needed for the installation. I ended up paying more than the insurance company did, including my deductable. They said it was not covered because of normal wear and tare! Oh well, just mark another one up for experiance.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wait until you are in an RV park or a campsite and you have someone get hurt in your camp or trip coming out of your rv and get hurt and see how fast progressive will help you. Twice they refused to help and I paid the price. I quit after the second accident. Also progressive raised our insurance because of the two accidents. I now have Allstate who has been great with us. We had windshield in truck replaced three years in a row as well as two car windshields in same year and not a wimper and not a raise in insurance. Also we got hit in dec a couple of years ago rear ended at a light and again the following summer rear ended at a light and they took care of us the same day in every case. By the way Allstate gave me lower insurance cost than Progressive by 300 dollars.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote