Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Progressive EMS

First time EMS user. Question, my storage facility has a GFI on the regular power outlet. I'm using a 30 to 15amp converter to just run refer. Running this thru the portable progressive EMS I cannot get AC to my refer. It is going to LP. Is the GFI creating an issue with the EMS? I HAVE A E0 code, 60amps, 123 volts scrolling on the display. There is no power to microwave etc. If I remove the EMS everything works on AC.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Silly question, but did you wait awhile? My portable, Progressive, EMS takes about 2-3 minutes minimum before it ever lets power flow. Even when the display is cycling with OK readings.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwilde View Post
First time EMS user. Question, my storage facility has a GFI on the regular power outlet. I'm using a 30 to 15amp converter to just run refer. Running this thru the portable progressive EMS I cannot get AC to my refer. It is going to LP. Is the GFI creating an issue with the EMS? I HAVE A E0 code, 60amps, 123 volts scrolling on the display. There is no power to microwave etc. If I remove the EMS everything works on AC.
GFIs notoriously don't play well with motor home systems, but if you are still seeing a voltage the power is still on and the GFI has not tripped. If the PI has not passed power to the transfer switch yet, then it may kick the GFI once it does. The default on the PI systems is two minutes and fifteen second delay to protect AC compressors. If your thermostat or AC system has a built in time delay, then you can change the delay on the PI to fifteen seconds.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

Error Codes
http://media.wix.com/ugd/439d5a_3e12...901d7b6f43.pdf

Manual.....read pg 8
http://media.wix.com/ugd/439d5a_2618...5d8e3cacbb.pdf

EO code is Normal

Time delay factory setting is 15 seconds------alternate setting is the 136 seconds (2:16)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the quick replies. It appears the GFCI is tripping after the built-in delay of the EMS. When I read the manual I mistook that delay to be if something happened after it was plugged in not for the initial plugin as well. I was not giving it time to cycle. I was checking all the breakers and unplugging and replugging before the delay was up.

Disappointed because I wanted to leave my refer plugged in but don't want to not have the EMS to monitor power supply. Plugging straight into the GFCI doesn't seem to be a good idea.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive can provide you with a simple bypass switch that will let you eliminate the monitoring function of the EMS temporarily.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
At home I have my coach plugged into a 20 amp GFCI outlet. I installed a hardwired Progressive surge protector.

I do not have a problem with the power kicking until I try to run the refrigerator, the GFCI breaker will kick every time. From what I've read it may have to do with the defrost heaters in the refrigerator, when this kicks in the GFCI thinks there is a ground.

My work around is to just run a separate extension cord to the refrigerator that is not GFCI protected. I do this if the coach is parked for an extended period of time. If we are getting ready to leave on a trip I just run the propane, this allows me to check the operation of the refrigerator prior to the trip.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm assuming that the GFCI you are referring to is on the post you are plugged into. Electrical codes in most areas of the country require that all outdoor and outlets in bathrooms and kitchens be protected by GFCI circuits. Bad news if you have an RV that you want to plug into that circuit. EMS or not, your RV will trip the GFCI circuit leaving you with dead batteries, warm refrigerators, etc.

Talk to your storage facility and see if you can get them to replace the GFCI with a 30 amp service panel. Service panels are not required by code to have GFCI protection (your campground hookups are technically service panels) and your problems will disappear. You might want to consider a different storage facility.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem with a 2003 Chieftain. After talking to the Tech on the WGO help line I checked to make sure the neutral and ground wire from the refer were connected to the same power panel as the hot lead. Sure enough the breaker was in one box and either the neutral or the ground were run to the other box. As you know when we have an inverter/charger the outlets connected to the inverter have their own panel. Once that was corrected no more GFI problems.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems