Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #15

Be sure and get the model with the remote control/display. Its nice to be able to see the voltage, freqs, amp load, and error codes, without having to access the unit itself.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
I am still a newbie to the RV world having owned my Class A motorhome for one year and I am getting over whelmed with making the right decisions on buying items such as the best: Roadside service; TPMS, insurance, whether to get an extended warranty, and now which is the best surge protector. I have decided to go with the Progressive brand (because of the lifetime warranty) and I understand that different systems provide different levels of protection, that you will pay for. My question to those of you that have much more knowledge and experience than I do is: Would I be adequately covered for electrical protection by going with the Progressive SSP-XL 50 amp unit at a cost of $ 119.00 or do I need to spend the extra dollars to get the more expensive EMS-PTC 50C unit at $ 325.00? It sounds like the SSP-XL provides more than just surge protection and maybe would give me the basic protection I need, without having to break the bank? I would greatly appreciate any input or advice from those with more experience than I.
Thanks,
Dave
Been there and doing that...trying to read and buy what is best for our rig but also trying to spend our money once for something we know we need to do. I hate it when I buy something only later find out I should of spent a little more and gotten XYZ. This decision was very important to us to protect all types of power situations. When we had our trailer we used a portable unit but now with our 50amp service MH, we decided to go with a hard wired unit, mainly (but not limited to) because you install it once and forget it and it's inside your locked storage bay. With a portable dog bone type unit—while you're gone— someone can just unplug it from the CC power pole and steal it plus it doesn't offer the features a hard wired unit does. I just installed this EMS-HW50C unit on our newly acquired MH last week.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

The EMS-HW50C box itself is a little tight to get those heavy wires mounted in there. I wish they would of made it about an 1" bigger all the way around inside which would of made installing those big, thick 50 amp wires a lot easier to fish through and install. But I got it done. One last thing, I wish I had also (while I was at it) put the entire power cord on a reel. I'm going to go back and do that at some point. It'll make that storage bay have a lot more room when we pull up and leave camp.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #17

I just purchased the Progressive EMSHC--50a. Where do most users install the remote monitor. My install is below the bedroom and hot water heater maybe run the cable up and into the bedroom area? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mounted my remote display in the bay. I bought that unit because I wanted the bypass switch and at some point I will install a second display in the coach.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You definitely want the $300 + Progressive Industries EMS! It protects you against everything! Cheapest insurance you will ever buy!
2x above. I have the more expensive Progressive Industries EMS and would never connect to a power source without it. When we had a TT, I forgot to unplug from our shed and the cord was hit by lightning. Several thousand $ later, . . . . Yes, the less expensive model would probably have protected against that, but not the more common CG power pole problems mentioned in other posts. Spend the extra $ and go on to worry about other things.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #20

I have the HW50C and as stated before it monitors several important parameters. On the monitor I have mine in my hall way near the rest of the gauges, I want to go by and read the parameters and see how everything is working. I had a friend mount the monitor in his bedroom and the blinking monitor keep his wife up at night so he had to make a cover for it to block the light.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #21

I had the HW50C in a 5th wheel and it even tripped out when I tried several time to power up the RV with the electric hot water heater turned on with no water in it. So quick there was no damage to the heater. When we bought our DP the HW50C came with us.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #22

When we bought our coach it had the hard wired Surge Guard 50 amp unit. Is there a compelling argument to upgrade to the Progressive Industries unit?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
EMS-PC-50T

Our external unit has been damaged by surge (it has a protection circuit which "blows" with a really big surge) requiring factory replacement and once by water and in both cases was speedily replaced by Progressive. We even got a nice letter from Progessives president on the last blow out explaining the circumstances. They paid the shipping too.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I just purchased the Progressive EMSHC--50a. Where do most users install the remote monitor. My install is below the bedroom and hot water heater maybe run the cable up and into the bedroom area? Any other suggestions?
The remote display is most useful when you are plugging in the coach and flipping the breaker. I would mount it where you can see it from the campground electric pedestal.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I will use the analogy of the LifeLock commercial seen on TV of the bank robbery - "Oh, I am not a security guard, I am just a security monitor. Why monitor a problem if you can't fix it?"

One device just monitors electrical problems - SSP-50XL - and does NOTHING to fix it.

The second device, EMS-PT50C, monitors electrical problems AND fixes the situation by disconnecting your coach from ANY problem that could harm your RV electrical system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Just like playing the lottery- every great once in a while someone wins (or looses in the case of a damaging surge). I use a tester ($35) that instantly tests all the wiring and displays the voltages of both phases. It is better to test the power pedistal before plugging in. Here is a link to an inexpensive Digital meter nightlight you can just keep plugged in your RV to monitor line voltage ($10):

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Voltmet...voltage+tester

Low or sagging voltage is hard on motors, air conditioners/heatpumps and residential refrigerators as it makes them run much hotter, but rarely does it hurt anything else as other electronic equipment power supplies are generally designed to handle 90-140 volts anymore. Surges generally are limited to damaging your microwave, or possibly your older power converter as all new TVs and equipment have switching power supplies. My Tiffin RV has a surge suppressor built in- but really they are becoming less and less necessary. That's why you don't see them installed on sticks and bricks homes.

That's what my 37 years as an Electrical Enginner and Electronics Tech has shown. However - there is a definite benefit to feeling safe and secure and for many people these well designed surge suppressors/ voltage monitors provide a that extra level of security.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tester.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	142096  
ScottHelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHelmann View Post
Just like playing the lottery- every great once in a while someone wins (or looses in the case of a damaging surge). I use a tester ($35) that instantly tests all the wiring and displays the voltages of both phases. It is better to test the power pedistal before plugging in. Here is a link to an inexpensive Digital meter nightlight you can just keep plugged in your RV to monitor line voltage ($10):

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Voltmet...voltage+tester

Low or sagging voltage is hard on motors, air conditioners/heatpumps and residential refrigerators as it makes them run much hotter, but rarely does it hurt anything else as other electronic equipment power supplies are generally designed to handle 90-140 volts anymore. Surges generally are limited to damaging your microwave, or possibly your older power converter as all new TVs and equipment have switching power supplies. My Tiffin RV has a surge suppressor built in- but really they are becoming less and less necessary. That's why you don't see them installed on sticks and bricks homes.

That's what my 37 years as an Electrical Enginner and Electronics Tech has shown. However - there is a definite benefit to feeling safe and secure and for many people these well designed surge suppressors/ voltage monitors provide a that extra level of security.

The biggest issue that I Always feared in a 50 amp RV is an open or floating neutral. I figure that if I can spend a few hundred buck to save my 3 a/c units, microwave, frig and assorted other appliances then it's worthwhile. Not to mention the time and energy expended in getting everything fixed.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #28
RVM1

Progressive EMS and Surge Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The biggest issue that I Always feared in a 50 amp RV is an open or floating neutral. I figure that if I can spend a few hundred buck to save my 3 a/c units, microwave, frig and assorted other appliances then it's worthwhile. Not to mention the time and energy expended in getting everything fixed.

True that!
I have had 4 open neutral issues detected by the PI unit, all quickly repaired by the park techs. Also, 1 power transformer explosion, 2 low voltage issues, and 2 high frequency issues.
This stuff saves time and $

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems