Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Progressive EMS and Surge Protectors

I am still a newbie to the RV world having owned my Class A motorhome for one year and I am getting over whelmed with making the right decisions on buying items such as the best: Roadside service; TPMS, insurance, whether to get an extended warranty, and now which is the best surge protector. I have decided to go with the Progressive brand (because of the lifetime warranty) and I understand that different systems provide different levels of protection, that you will pay for. My question to those of you that have much more knowledge and experience than I do is: Would I be adequately covered for electrical protection by going with the Progressive SSP-XL 50 amp unit at a cost of $ 119.00 or do I need to spend the extra dollars to get the more expensive EMS-PTC 50C unit at $ 325.00? It sounds like the SSP-XL provides more than just surge protection and maybe would give me the basic protection I need, without having to break the bank? I would greatly appreciate any input or advice from those with more experience than I.
Thanks,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

If the difference between the two would 'break the bank' perhaps you should rethink rving. Just sayin.....
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

EMS-PTC 50C
Has saved my RV equipment many times where the lesser unit would not. Paid for itself many times.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's when us newbies don't worry about being frugal that we start breaking the bank trying to get all the stuff we need to be safe.

I have the same questions as the OP - that's why we come here for help. Not everyone has unlimited funds but shouldn't be discouraged from RV'n right?

Remember back to when you started out and all the stuff you needed to buy. Tpms, fire extinguishers, ems, surge protectors, water pressure regulators, water hoses, adapters, sewage hoses, it all adds up. Will it break us? Probably not but why spend more than you have to?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
I am still a newbie to the RV world having owned my Class A motorhome for one year and I am getting over whelmed with making the right decisions on buying items such as the best: Roadside service; TPMS, insurance, whether to get an extended warranty, and now which is the best surge protector. I have decided to go with the Progressive brand (because of the lifetime warranty) and I understand that different systems provide different levels of protection, that you will pay for. My question to those of you that have much more knowledge and experience than I do is: Would I be adequately covered for electrical protection by going with the Progressive SSP-XL 50 amp unit at a cost of $ 119.00 or do I need to spend the extra dollars to get the more expensive EMS-PTC 50C unit at $ 325.00? It sounds like the SSP-XL provides more than just surge protection and maybe would give me the basic protection I need, without having to break the bank? I would greatly appreciate any input or advice from those with more experience than I.

Thanks,

Dave

The SSP-XL 50 only "protects" against surge. It monitors and reports other conditions but doesn't cut power to protect. The EMS units cut power for a wide range of somewhat common and destructive electric issues.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
EMS-PTC 50C
Has saved my RV equipment many times where the lesser unit would not. Paid for itself many times.
not trying to hijack orig posters thread - but thanks for answering Dave (or is that Nola?) my soon to be rig (I hope) has 50 amp connector. So I need to get a 30 to 50 converter (not a 50 to 30) right?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a well known fact that sometimes the written word does not convey the true meaning that is trying to be conveyed.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Let me ask it this way - if my plug on the RV is 50, do I need the 50 to 30 converter to convert my 50 to mate with parks 30 amp plug or do I need the 30 to 50 converter (see what I mean? Do you figure it from the park perspective or the RV perspective?)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
not trying to hijack orig posters thread - but thanks for answering Dave (or is that Nola?) my soon to be rig (I hope) has 50 amp connector. So I need to get a 30 to 50 converter (not a 50 to 30) right?

If you are asking about connecting to shore power when only 30 available is available for a 50 amp RV then yes, what you need is a 30 amp male/50 amp female adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...FU09gQodvA8Aeg
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Dlduck......
X2 on Steve Ownby's comment.
You've already made the first decision correctly by choosing Progressive Industries. Whether you choose a portable or hard wired unit is up to you. But for functionality I also recommend the EMS over the SSP.
It's worth noting that while folks toss around the term "surge protector" quite freely, in fact a true voltage surge is probably the *least* likely electrical problem you'll encounter in your travels. And yet that is the only event for which the SSP will instantly disconnect you from the problem. In my experience the more likely events you may encounter are low voltage and poor ground or neutral.
The ESM will not only detect all the failures scanned by the SSP, but will also detect high/low voltage, high/low frequency, accidental 220V, faulty pedestal wiring, and will automatically protect your coach in all cases by disconnecting you from the problem.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

I have the built in Progressive industries EMS-HW50C and am quite happy with the unit. If you can handle the relatively simple install the unit can be had for a shade over $300 I believe shipping included.

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C | RV Energy Management Systems
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I opted for the more expensive Progressive Industries 50amp unit which I hard-wired in the power bay, and I am sooooo glad I did... I can't tell you how many times it's protected my coach by shutting off access of power from the CG pedestal into my rig...

Had a buddy with a high-end coach and no protection - after a massive surge and $8K damage to numerous things in his rig - he now has one.... My rig received zero damage....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You definitely want the $300 + Progressive Industries EMS! It protects you against everything! Cheapest insurance you will ever buy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #14

You can buy the Progressive LCWH50 on ebay for $239. It is a top of the line unit and great protection for your coach
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems