Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I have never used a product like this, is the primary need to protect during a lightning strike only? I am not a FTer, not even close to it, and live in CA which has a very low incidence of lightning. Have 8 years of TT and now in year 1 of DP and never recall even 1 camping trip with lightning.

Chris
Lightening protection is not why I installed the EMC-HW50C. It is to protect from potential shore power problems as covered in the product description.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Lightening protection is not why I installed the EMC-HW50C. It is to protect from potential shore power problems as covered in the product description.
That's the reason I use it as well. I've been shut down when voltage went below 104 numerous times. Hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #31

I had one on my Monaco,removed it when we sold it and then installed it on met tiffin bus. It has worked great,shut power off many times due to low voltage
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
This is one of those things that everyone should use everywhere you go. Whether it's the portable or hardwired one, it offers great electrical protection.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
This is one of those things that everyone should use everywhere you go. Whether it's the portable or hardwired one, it offers great electrical protection.
That was my my thought exactly. But any comments on the install/service issues that I covered in my post # 26 earlier today. Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

After receiving my EMC-HW50C EMS-HW50C I decided to have my local RV service shop install this since I was going to have the coach in for service. After the unit was initially installed the remote display would not work. So they called the Progressive service department and a new data line and display was sent next day delivery. After plugging in the new data line and remote display the display did seem to power on but the data displayed was not readable. So they plugged in the old remote display to the new data line and everything worked according to the manual. Power to the coach worked from the beginning without a problem. Now another problem has come up where we still have power but the display is off again and Progressive service department says it appears to be a circuit board problem and they have seen a replacement.

In looking over the testimonial page Testimonials it looks like this has happened a before. I must say Progressive is very prompt in providing service and replacement parts, but I am concerned about the issues with the unit. Are others that have the EMC-HW50C having any similar issues. Thanks
Most of the Monaco, HR, Beaver and Safari owners that belong to the Monacoers Yahoo group have never had an installation issue right from the get go.

Mine was an easy install and worked correctly right out of the gate. I use it mainly for dropped neutral or ground and high voltage. I use a VC-50 Power Master Voltage Booster that ensures that I will never be shut down for low voltage.

I think there may have been one or two members out of thousands that had a minor problem with the board, display or cable but it is definitely the minority. The additional benefit about owning this device is the fact the they offer a lifetime warranty regardless of who owns the unit and the respond to customer problems quickly even on the weekends.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Have the hard wired in our coach. Saved us a few times from the pedestal monster!!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
the pedestal monster

The pedestal monster is ALIVE and dwells mostly on the EAST Coast. We encountered a few on our most recent trip along the Atlantic. "But the trailer that was here before you didn't have a problem"
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the same one myself along with a transfer switch few months ago. Worked fine from the start, have used it three time since.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #38

Quote:
After receiving my EMC-HW50C EMS-HW50C I decided to have my local RV service shop install this since I was going to have the coach in for service. After the unit was initially installed the remote display would not work. So they called the Progressive service department and a new data line and display was sent next day delivery. After plugging in the new data line and remote display the display did seem to power on but the data displayed was not readable. So they plugged in the old remote display to the new data line and everything worked according to the manual. Power to the coach worked from the beginning without a problem. Now another problem has come up where we still have power but the display is off again and Progressive service department says it appears to be a circuit board problem and they have seen a replacement.

In looking over the testimonial page Testimonials it looks like this has happened a before. I must say Progressive is very prompt in providing service and replacement parts, but I am concerned about the issues with the unit. Are others that have the EMC-HW50C having any similar issues. Thanks

Progressive send a replacement circuit board and a new cord and the EMC-HW50C is working as it should now. Picking up the coach tomorrow morning.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I have never used a product like this, is the primary need to protect during a lightning strike only? I am not a FTer, not even close to it, and live in CA which has a very low incidence of lightning. Have 8 years of TT and now in year 1 of DP and never recall even 1 camping trip with lightning.

Chris
The biggest problems are over/under voltage, like occurs when everyone is using their air conditioning. The additional issue under high load conditions is surge. Air conditioning units starting and stopping send peaks and valleys of voltage, as I understand it.

We have been RVing for over 20 years with nary a problem, until this year. Pedestal fried its neutral. Almost seamless for us and we have just the surge protector rather than the EMS.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
I have the progressive hardwired 50 amp unit and I'd never plug my coach into a CG without it.... It's already saved me major hurt on multiple occasions... Older CG's and SP's are the ones you need to watch out for...

Just got back from a month out and over two-dozen differ CG's and never worried a single moment...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #41

OK. If I buy a 50 amp portable model will it protect my rig if he CG only has 30 amp service.

Bill
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Absolutely....

Tags
electrical