Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I have the remote mounted in the kitchen right next to my battery monitor and I find it kind of irritating as it goes through it sequence of checks L!, 120v, Xamps, L2, etc. I kinda wish it would dim a bit or only come on when there is an error, but hey, it's good the protection is there.
You are right, I didn't notice that at first. Sorry about that.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

I have the remote mounted in the kitchen right next to my battery monitor and I find it kind of irritating as it goes through it sequence of checks L!, 120v, Xamps, L2, etc. I kinda wish it would dim a bit or only come on when there is an error, but hey, it's good the protection is there.
You can make it as dim as you need by going to a photo shop and purchase Neutral Density Filters of a chosen high density. Then cut and tape the top section to the display. It will hang over the red LED's to dim them. If needed, at any time you can lift up the filter to see it at full brightness.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #17

Steve, I just got done installing one without the remote display. Very easy to do. I did have to make a small change once my unit was installed. I needed to wire in a bypass switch. With the unit bypassed, it still provides surge protection however, it can't monitor for over/under voltages, open neutrals and grounds, etc. I discovered when I hooked my little Honda EU2000 generator up to the motor home, it sensed an open ground and would not allow current to pass. Therefore, I could run anything off of the Honda generator. Once the bypass switch was installed, I was back up and working. It was easy to do. All I did was purchase a rocker switch from Radio Shack and wired up as per the manufactures instructions that I attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EMS-LCHW50 Bypass Instructions.pdf (272.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

I would definitely wire after the xfer switch to protect shore and genny inputs. My last onan failure output 160v to the rv.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My remote display has a switch to turn it off.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I don't agree that generators don't have voltage problems. In fact, one of the things that fails most often on generators is the voltage regulator. There are several postings on this and other forums where generator failure has put very high voltage into the coach with substantial damage to electronics.

The transfer switch is a fairly inexpensive item to replace compared to damaged electronics in the coach. I always install my Progressive after the transfer switch in order to provide protection for both power sources. If the Progressive unit should ever fail, it has a bypass that only requires flipping a switch; so, there is no reason the generator cannot be used.

The biggest problem with installing after the transfer switch is that the transfer switch is not easily accessed in many MH. If you are going to the expense and work to make this installation, why not get all the protection available?
I agree with you. A transfer sw is sacrificable. The electronics in the Quiet Site gensets of modern coaches has many checks to qualify the power before it connects. But failures do happen. Loosing everything in the coach because of a missing neutral or high power serge does not make for happy camping.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here it is for $100 dollars cheaper than Amazon. But you do have to pay for shipping.

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C

First of all, if you switch it off on the remote display, it turns off the display but it also bypasses some of the protection.

Second, you can make a data cable longer than the 14 foot display cable they supply, mine is 25 feet long and works. I like my display inside. Mine has has provided protection from "over voltage", "undervoltage", and "surge" numerous times. It is nice to know why it cut power without going outside to look in the utility compartment.

Third, why not install it after your transfer switch to provide protection for both shore power and generator. Just buy a short piece of 4 conductor wire, (the proper AWG) and connect it to the output of the transfer switch and the surge protector, then connect the disconnected power wire going to the circuit breaker panel, to the surge protector output.

It has paid for itself over the last few years. I think they should be standard equipment on all Motor homes.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

First of all, if you switch it off on the remote display, it turns off the display but it also bypasses some of the protection.

It has paid for itself over the last few years. I think they should be standard equipment on all Motor homes.
On my remote display, when the switch has been put in Bypass mode, the display remains lit with the word OFF.

Again, there are safety devices which when working will prevent generator power from damaging the RV. However, anything built by humans can fail, even the HW-50C EMS system that protects the RV from errant power conditions or for that matter any of the LPG, CO and Fire/Smoke alarm detectors I guess could fail too and no one would know the difference.

Where you choose to mount the PI EMS system is up to each individual. For those that have chosen to purchase potable models it would be difficult to be protected from errant generator voltage unless plugged directly into the generator first.

I think if you took a survey looking for how often generators were to fail with errant power and actually damaged devices inside the RV, you would find that it was very minimal versus encountering RV Parks and campgrounds with errant power problems.

JMHO.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

Does it say that in the manual? I did not read that in my manual when I installed it. I don't turn off the display, because it is mounted in the same compartment. Maybe some day I will add a second display inside. For now I like it in the same compartment so I can see it when I first plug into the CG power.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Does it say that in the manual? I did not read that in my manual when I installed it. Chuck
It's my understanding that when the switch on the remote is turned to OFF then unit just passes power through and there is no protection.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It's my understanding that when the switch on the remote is turned to OFF then unit just passes power through and there is no protection.
I'll check with Progressive on Monday.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wired mine before the transfer s/w and did not go for the remote. I don't feel the remote can do any more for me than my inexpensive plug-in volt meter plugged into a dining room socket. It keeps pretty good tabs on inside coach voltage.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe it also turns off the protection and by-passes the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
My remote display has a switch to turn it off.

Chuck

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I believe it also turns off the protection and by-passes the unit.
Yep, says that right in the manual. switch the monitor off and it cuts off the protetion circuit.