Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
dp7

Progressive Industries surge protector remote display

I have been looking at the Progressive Industries model EMS-HW50C hardwired surge protector. This unit includes a remote display. Seems like routing the cable so the display is visible inside the coach could be problematic. I was wondering if most people just mount the display adjacent to the surge protector. For those that have mounted the display inside the coach, is the convenience of an inside display worth the work to route the cable?

TIA
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #2

dp7-

The display shows these things:

1) Voltage
2) Current
3) Frequency
4) Error code

There are two times when the information is useful inside the coach:

1) In summer, in a park when low voltages are common due to the number of air conditioners running
2) When an error cuts off 120 VAC in the middle of the night (especially if the weather outside is poor)

In contrast, the information is useful every time you plug the RV into 120 VAC for the first time at a site.

My opinion is that unless your RV sits a lot in one place, it's most helpful to have the display where you can see it after you plug in.

If this was a battery monitor, I'd say the display belongs inside the coach.

That all said, routing wires into an RV is not always as difficult as it seems.

I believe the PI unit you're considering can host two displays, with one active at a time. You could mount the display locally and add a remote later.

Note: The PI unit with the built-in display cannot have a remote display added to it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is in the compartment with the power cord so i can see it when i plug in.
If the unit cuts power to your RV, what are the chances you can fix the problem without going oitside?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have TWO displays, one in the service bay to view immediately after plugging in and one in the overhead cabinet in the bedroom to view when I am inside the coach.

I use the one inside to monitor amp draw per leg and any error codes.

Running the data cable should not be a problem if you are creative and handy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS Service Bay Display.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	149134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS Display-02.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	149135  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
WDW

2x on having it inside to watch your draw. This was especially true with our C and 30AMP services. However with our 50AMP A. I've still found it useful in monitoring generator loads, forced 30AMP sites,etc.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure you really need a repeater inside the coach. I got the model with the readout on the unit mounted in the electrical bay. Seems like it is few bucks cheaper. When I plug in at the park, I check the readout for the "0" code & forget about it. Let progressive do the checking

Like was said earlier, if you have a power issue, you'll likely have to go outside anyway.

Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought it I was hoping to mount the display inside the coach, however, I initially could not find a way to route the wire up to where I wanted it. Since the unit can have two displays, I thought I'd just mount it in the electrical bay where it's easier to see (than where the unit is mounted), and if I wanted to move it (or add a 2nd one inside) I could do that later.

Turns out the time I use it the most, is when I'm outside and just plugged in to make sure the voltages are okay.

When connected to 20 or 30 amps shorepower is when you really are concerned about current draw. What I did after installing is to do a test of each device, writing down their individual current consumption. So I know what can be on at the same time, and what has to be off. I haven't found that I need the display inside, although it would be nice to have. It hasn't risen to the level of need/want, that is greater than the amount of work to route the cable!
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Try this , I was told by a mobile tech that it works. Using a plug in telephone cord connect the surge protector to the telephone jack installed in your utility compartment. Then using another cord connect the repeater to the telephone jack inside the coach. I spent a day routing a cable for my repeater before learning this. Please post if this works for you.
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
Try this , I was told by a mobile tech that it works. Using a plug in telephone cord connect the surge protector to the telephone jack installed in your utility compartment. Then using another cord connect the repeater to the telephone jack inside the coach. I spent a day routing a cable for my repeater before learning this. Please post if this works for you.

I did exactly this and it works great, but the cable needs to be a "Data cable" not specifically a phone cable. The ends are reversed on a phone cable.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
Not sure you really need a repeater inside the coach. I got the model with the readout on the unit mounted in the electrical bay. Seems like it is few bucks cheaper. When I plug in at the park, I check the readout for the "0" code & forget about it. Let progressive do the checking

Like was said earlier, if you have a power issue, you'll likely have to go outside anyway.

+1
I mounted the unit where I can see the display on powering up, then forget about it.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is on the outside to be able to check right after hook up, someday I'll get the second display once I figure where to install it

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Regarding using your ems display to monitor current draw. I strongly recommend a bogart engineering trimetric battery monitor. You get much more information that you really needto manage your battery bank

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Regarding using your ems display to monitor current draw. I strongly recommend a Bogart engineering trimetric battery monitor. You get much more information that you really need to manage your battery bank
BIG difference between monitoring 12 VDC versus 120 VAC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
You are right of course