Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #1

Progressive Insurance Glass Coverage in New York

Hi All, I have had my Motor Home Insured with Progressive since early 2004. Glass Coverage under my Comprehensive has always been Zero Deductible here in NY. When I renewed I was just told that I would have to pay a deductible (this was from a Phone Agent located in Ohio). I checked back on my past policies and It always stated my deductible with a Zero for glass after that. Has something changed? My deductible is $200 (required for full glass, I have always had this amount) I was under the impression that this was a NY State insurance rule.
Anyone have any Knowledge of this.
thanks
Barrier2
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #2

Mine is $100 here is Ga. I could have gotten it down to $50 but the DW used her calculator and said the $100 actually would come out better for us. My windshield cost $3500 for replacement, I suppose the 100 sounds ok comparatively speaking... Good Luck with yours!!!!!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #3

Wow. I just had my windshield replaced by Progressive here in South Carolina, and it didn't cost me a thing. I had it done right here in the RV park where we're staying.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking at my just renewed (12/5/15) Progressive policy in NY, it states Comprehensive deductible $200/full glass $0 deductible. I never heard of a glass deductible in NY, but I could be wrong.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Everyone pays different premium's. This is where it may get a bit tricky and the calculator comes in handy to weigh out the best options for your particular coverage.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

New York, as well as Kentucky, and I think several other states, but those two for sure do not allow insurance companies to charge a deductible for glass. I've lived in both. Most recently replaced my two front windshields.

Funny thing though, when I had progressive insurance here (briefly) they asked me if I wanted to pay the extra to get $0.00 deductible on glass. I told them that I was pretty sure that Kentucky is BY LAW already a zero glass deductible state. She said, oh, Kentucky, okay, that's correct. But I bet if I had agreed to pay more, they would have cheerfully charged me for it!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I believe if you check NYS Insurance laws you will find that glass deductibles are allowed, i.e. are at the discretion of the insurer who offers the coverage.

Several states mandate a zero deductible for windshields, and a few for all vehicle glass, but most leave the amount of the deductible, if an, to the insurer.

I think this article from the NY DFS covers it:
Deductibles for automobile physical damage insurance policies
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

I live in NY State. I have full glass coverage on every vehicle I own with no deductible. I never asked for it so I can't tell you whether it is state law.
I have a local agent who writes all my insurance except for Life Insurance.
If I have a question about anything I just pick the phone up and call my agent.
No waiting or pushing buttons to hear a recorded message.
My agent looked at several companies before recommending Progressive. So Progressive it is. $200 deductible on my collision and far above the minimum for liability coverage. That was my choice. If I were at fault and hit someone with my MH several people might be involved along with massive physical damage. I don't intend to pay out of pocket for damages.
I leave full coverage on my MH throughout the winter months. It is stored in a storage facility with several other RV's and vehicles. The batteries are out and no power is hooked to the MH to minimize the chance of my unit catching fire and damaging hundreds of thousands of dollar's worth of other's property.
Lynn
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Community Administrator

This link states an insurer in NY may offer glass coverage without a deductible. I never had one in the 27 years I was a NY insured.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/ogco2010/rg100608.htm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #10

Thanks for all the responses!
I have had "0" deductible with Full Glass on all my vehicles for the past 30 + years here in New York. When I noticed this change last week I thought it was just a mistake. It is not. The Insurance companies have you at their mercy. You must look at each line of the new policy and compare to the prior one. Then the fight begins with the Agents and/or Company.
I am awaiting a new Policy description from Progressive in writing. I have so far received three on line summaries while giving the same info with three different prices varying by $400. Amazing!!!
The Progressive Agent I spoke with telling me she "never heard" of "0" deductible. Then telling me "full glass coverage" only come with the $200 deductible Comprehensive at a yearly cost of $120 additional. I could not even get Full Glass Coverage with the $500 deductible.
My whole Insurance Purchase life I followed the Axiom of never reporting small claims for fear of my Rates Rising. I never claimed the minor loss or water leak in my home or "keying" of my cars choosing to pay it myself.
NO MORE! it does not matter. The Companies will Raise the Rates and Reduce the Coverage no matter what.
I have to laugh when I call and am told that I have been a Wonderful Customer for the past 20 or 30 years they then tell me to bend over.
Barrier2
By the way New York seems to be a Maybe "0" deductible depending on the hour, day, Phase of the Moon or what they can slip by without notice.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We just had our windshield replaced last Friday here in Florida. No deductible
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
We just had our windshield replaced last Friday here in Florida. No deductible
I must be dealing with the wrong insurance company. I have National general through Good Sam I think. I recalled them on this windshield deductible issue and come to find out I have a $1000 deductible. To get it down to $500 I would be paying about $900 every 6 mos. Where am I going wrong with this deal? Am I not pay a high enough premium to get the lower ( I mean maybe $100 ) on the windshield. Lower deductible means higher premiums, Right?? You can see my signature as to what I am insuring.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot conceive that so many people seem to have bought insurance but have no idea what coverages they bought, what deductibles might apply, and what they would receive in the event of a loss. I know it's not simple, but we are paying big bucks for something that is extremely important. It's like buying a house but not asking how many bedrooms or how much the taxes will be.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I cannot conceive that so many people seem to have bought insurance but have no idea what coverages they bought, what deductibles might apply, and what they would receive in the event of a loss. I know it's not simple, but we are paying big bucks for something that is extremely important. It's like buying a house but not asking how many bedrooms or how much the taxes will be.
I can understand where you are coming from on this insurance business. In my case, my DW takes care of all our insurance coverages on house, cars, RV, life, etc. Coming across this thread I thought I would dig into it a bit and find out just what coverage I did have. Well, she purchased what she thought was the best for us, but maybe didn't read or understand it completely. I for one, trust my wife's decisions and rarely ever pay any attention to any of our coverages. So maybe, this thread has helped us to go over our coverage more thoroughly. Do remember not all folks are the same, all have different educational levels, incomes, resources, etc. Sure wish I was more like Gary, seems he knows so much more than we do. Thanks Gary!!

Tags
insurance