Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
KC

Another vote for Progressive Industry hard wire unit. Ours not only protects us from CG power issues but we had wired so it will protect us from our own generator issues as well.

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Jim, did you mean Surge Guard? I'm not familiar with Sure Guard.

I would go with the Progressive Industries EMS series. They protect you against everything and have a lifetime warranty! You definitely get your money's worth!
And the Progressive is made in the U.S.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #17

The Surge Guard and the Progressive EMS are two completely different things and perform two completely different tasks. It’s not a matter of “which one is best” because you’re talking about two different things. Apples and oranges.

The Surge Guard protects against power surges...that’s it. It “absorbs” the surge and protects the devices connected beyond it. It does not confirm voltage, high or low, nor does it help with an open neutral or other wiring problems.

The EMS protects against power surges, detects and protects from high and low voltages, open neutrals, open grounds, pedestals wired backwards, etc. It is a much more sophisticated device than a simple surge protector.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

No, that is incorrect and confusing information.

"Surge Guard" is a brand name for a full-featured EMS unit comparable to (and competing against) the Progressive Industries EMS unit.

Surge Guard EMS units are sold at Camping World and many other online and S&B retail stores.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #19

Progressive or Sure Guard EMS

FatChance, you are absolutely correct. The information in my post about the Surge Guard is all wrong. When I was describing the Surge Guard, I was thinking of another product that is only a surge protector. I’m glad you caught this, FatChance.

If I could delete or edit my post, I would. But the forum software does not permit that.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
And the Progressive is made in the U.S.
I thought this as well but when I was installing a hard wire progressive yesterday I could have sworn I seen somewhere on there that it is made in China. On another note it works fine so far but it was an absolute pain in the a$$ to finagle those stiff wires in such a small space. Also the wire hold downs on the end of the box cover the two bottom mounting holes. Just not a great design overall. With all this said I do like what it can do and hope it works. Just my experience and nothing more.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Progressive Industries 30 Amp portable unit and love it. It appears to be well built and seems to work well, but I guess you never really know until disaster strikes.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No experience with the Surge Guard units, but have owned a Progressive for close to 10 yrs, and would highly recommend them.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #23

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I thought this as well but when I was installing a hard wire progressive yesterday I could have sworn I seen somewhere on there that it is made in China. On another note it works fine so far but it was an absolute pain in the a$$ to finagle those stiff wires in such a small space. Also the wire hold downs on the end of the box cover the two bottom mounting holes. Just not a great design overall. With all this said I do like what it can do and hope it works. Just my experience and nothing more.
I don't have the hardwired version because I didn't want to deal with those heavy gauge wires in a small area and I had to leave it on the coach when sold. I use the EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector. When I bought it, several years ago, it was marked "Made in the USA." I'm not sure if all their line was or not but mine was, at that time.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
+1, Just installed mine last week. A little more room in the box would have been nice. Everything is kind of shoe horned in. If they would of installed the knockouts a little more centered,I could have prewired it on the bench,then install. The contactor,the main heart of it, has a label on it as made in China.
Mine was shipped without the display card and had to call Progressive to ship one to the house. They were prompt and had it in two days.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
They are a PITA to get your fingers in there especially with the collar that goes around the wire.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #26

I use the Huges 50A Autoformer. Boost voltage and surge guard all in one.
rcg270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
They are a PITA to get your fingers in there especially with the collar that goes around the wire.
Now I don't feel it was just me....lol.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I had some power issues while in the U.P. recently maybe blame it on the power grid up there not sure. My Progressive Ind. 50a hardwired unit shut things down on numerous occasions. I had a low voltage, a high voltage, and a frequency shutdown. Without looking again but I think the high frequency shutdown occurs at 69 hertz? In either case it recorded it as the cause. I asked two of my neighbors one of which had a 30a PI portable unit and the other had a Surge Guard portable unit and neither of them recorded a problem with theirs. We were all on 30a service I was using a 30-50 adapter. I practiced load management. I switch my 50/30a service switch to 30 for the ac. I had noticed some high readings on a volt meter plugged into a receptacle so it was doing its job. I think at 132v it shuts down. The high low voltage shutdowns are no biggy but the frequency shutdown seems odd especially with my neighbor not having an issue. The Surge Guard unit I know does not monitor that if I’m correct. Do you think it’s possible the frequency would be that high at times? Wow the power company would have to know that too?

Tags
ems, surge guard