Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #183

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBeadles View Post
Switching a lot leaves you little leverage with ins. Commission if you get in a bind. :-Dave
Dave I don't doubt you but why does switching change anything. If I buy a policy I have a contract for the term of the policy. How are my contract rights effected by last years contract or a contract 5 years ago, interested to know.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

Do you remember if this is with "Purchase Price" or "Actual Cash Value" in case of total destruction of the MH?

I had National Interstate for years on my 2004 36' Itasca with Purchase Price coverage but they continually increased premiums each year then last year jumped from $1,800 to $2,300 so I switched to Progressive after also checking GMAC through FMCA (quoted $1,650). Progressive dropped my premium to $1,147 but I had to give up the Purchase Price coverage, which I hated to do but couldn't see paying almost $1,200/year extra just to add that coverage with National Interstate.

Just received my Progressive premium notice for the next year and it increased almost 18%, which I figured would happen considering all I've read about Progressive.

Anyone have any recent experience with their insurance on motorhomes not increasing so much every year?
FYI, I bought a new dp in 2005 and insured it with Progressive. For the first several years, the premium increased about $100 per year after the first year which was about $950.
Then subsequent years to $1500....$1700...1950....& $2050 this past year. Keep in mind, if you will, that I had no violations, no accidents or claims....paid in full and have an excellent credit score. This year Progressive wanted $2200!!! I have had enough, so I insured with All State for $1300. Nine years and all they did was abuse us...I remain somewhat miffed with them...I now see them as a company not to be trusted...Good luck in your insurance quest!! JJ
Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Dave I don't doubt you but why does switching change anything. If I buy a policy I have a contract for the term of the policy. How are my contract rights effected by last years contract or a contract 5 years ago, interested to know.
This is down the important list, but, I've seen companies dump people more readily if they've been with it a shorter time. Leaves you to starting over at a higher rate tier. There's so much that goes into insurance now. Most important; look at insurance commission complaint ratios, Collision Week ratings as well as JD powers, University of Mich.,, consumer mags... If every company paid claims the same rates would be too. It's a jungle out there! Start with ratings, then coverage, then price-that way you are not playing into company's hands! Dave ;-) 30 years & still in this industry.
DaveBeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy 316 View Post
FYI, I bought a new dp in 2005 and insured it with Progressive. For the first several years, the premium increased about $100 per year after the first year which was about $950. Then subsequent years to $1500....$1700...1950....& $2050 this past year. Keep in mind, if you will, that I had no violations, no accidents or claims....paid in full and have an excellent credit score. This year Progressive wanted $2200!!! I have had enough, so I insured with All State for $1300. Nine years and all they did was abuse us...I remain somewhat miffed with them...I now see them as a company not to be trusted...Good luck in your insurance quest!! JJ
I would never have replacement cost on a vehicle; instead of getting paid for what's left of the vehicle's use, on a $30k car for instance, 20k, they could fix it up to 29,999 & I wouldn't want to drive that car! I know great body shops but it would scare me to drive it! Dave :-)x
Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have been with Nationwide for years.. Well last Easter we bought a new used Jeep, wife found a tree at 55 mph just 4 short days (2 business days) later and totaled the jeep. That Nationwide did not cover the jeep I do not mind but both the state she crashed in and the state we list as our residence so it's where the policy was purchased have "Grace period" coverage of new or rental cars.. If you have an existing auto policy it covers a new purchase or a rental for a brief period of days... NATIONWIDE said the RV, a Class A MOTOR home, is not an automobile. Sure suprised the heck out of me. Looking for a new insurer I am.. My new towed is with E-Surance.
That is correct for almost all companies. This is yet another reason to have a good agent. You're at company's mercy when you don't. Dave :-)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
Whereas I had State Farm for 20 years and found their claim handing to be mediocre, at best. One of my sons was involved in a multi-car accident while he was in college. His car was totaled from being hit in the rear, but he also hit the 2 cars in front of him. They had minimal damage - 1 had $500 and one had $200 (the first car). State Farm paid the driver of the first car over $75k for "injuries", which caused my premiums to go up. My husband and I were in a serious accident a few years ago and the person who hit us was underinsured. My husband had to have significant surgery and is still in pain, and State Farm decided that his injury was worth $25k. I'm still fighting them on that one. I had to hire a lawyer to sue my own insurance company - and I do this for a /living/. I'll never use State Farm again. Which is why I said what I said above. Everyone's experience is going to be dependent on the individual they get on the phone. At least I know USAA prides itself on service.
Check insurance commission complaints in our state & SF is heads & shoulders above them. ??? Dave :-)x
Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
I'm also insured with Progressive through USAA which has my insurance for my home and vehicles; Progressive also insures my boat through USAA. My motor home is old but I do have full coverage on it at a cost of $268 per year with Progressive. I just got an electronic quote from Good Sam GMAC insurance for $398 per year for the same coverage; I will stay with Progressive for the time being but I am a bit wary of their service. Hopefully USAA will be helpful if I do have trouble with a claim with Progressive. Mike
Separate companies. Usaa will have little to say about other company's claims. Dave ;-)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #190

Progressive - Beware

Several posts ago, in early December, I report that I had just initiated a claim with Progressive, who I am with because of their association with USAA. The claim was for wind damage incurred when the wind/rain/sleet storm in the Apple Valley, CA area on Dec 7 tore my awning loose and beat the c__p out of the right side of my Overland. The Progressive representative was courteous, knowledgeable, and efficient. She told me exactly what would happen, put the adjuster in touch with me, and gave me confidence in Progressive. The adjuster was very professional, came to my house for the estimate, processed it, and I had a check a week later. I have confidence in Flo because of this experience.

I disagree with the previous poster. Although USAA and Progressive are separate companies, I believe that USAA only associates itself with companies that operate similarly, and therefore does have a hammer. Through 48 years of USAA association, I have never been dissatisfied with their performance, and so far I can say the same of Progressive.

Grzly 03, Dick and Heather Nester, Apple Valley, CA
Overland 4141.
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #191

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
usaa / progressive quoted me 4800 per year. I had to change my pants.

Geico gave me the same coverage for under 1200 per year.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #192

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
But in other news, the USAA was great to deal with on my RV loan, BUT they took the chance to hit me just hard enough on the interest rate to make me go ouch, but I was on a deadline, so they get away with it ... for now... but they were a pleasure to deal with. Courteous, nice, responsive, and quick! No complaints, and it's my own fault as to why they justified the slightly high interest rate, BUT they still took the advantage. And i'm ok with it, the money still fits our budget just fine.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #193

Progressive - Beware

Plasma800, I am curious what interest rate USAA gave you. On my 1998 Overland, they gave me 5.5% in Nov 2012.

Grzly03, Dick and Heather Nester, Apple Valley, CA
1998 Overland 4141
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #194

I too started with Progressive because USAA said they did not have their own program However, two years later USAA reversed their policy. You may want to revisit this again. However, the issue may be where you reside.
Frankus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
usaa / progressive quoted me 4800 per year. I had to change my pants.

Geico gave me the same coverage for under 1200 per year.
You need more than change your pants you need a doctor. I'm with progressive for a $500,000 policy $1,500 a year.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #196

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBeadles View Post
I would never have replacement cost on a vehicle; instead of getting paid for what's left of the vehicle's use, on a $30k car for instance, 20k, they could fix it up to 29,999 & I wouldn't want to drive that car! I know great body shops but it would scare me to drive it! Dave :-)x
Other than if it is totaled you get $30k for your vehicle worth only $20k in your example if you had replacement cost or agreed value.

I had a 1999 American Eagle that I had $160k of insurance on it when it was totaled by fire in March of 2012 (which I just had put over $10k in upgrades, new wood flooring on 45, new refrigerator,new slim LED TV's, valances, curtains, commode, etc. 10 days prior to the fire), may have been worth at best $85-90k, by having purchase price limit instead of ACV allowed me much more flexibility in replacing my unit. Besides, if it is repaired you could always trade it in if you felt it was unsafe.

Another example is if you purchased a unit used for $80k and put $25k in updates, as one of my customers just did, would you only want ACV or agreed value for your unit that you now have $105k in (2001 American Eagle in excellent condition)? I personally would prefer to get back my $105k.

My premium was less than $1,200 per year with Progressive with $0 Deductible since I had diminishing deductible and Progressive had my insurance for 11 years.

Just my opinion, but replacement cost or agreed value should be considered for certain situations.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance