Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #239

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
Been with USAA since 1971. When we bought our MH USAA shuffled me off to Progressive. So far so good....I send them money and they send me my proof of insurance card. If & when we do have a claim that turns into a horror story, I too hope there is a USAA big stick!
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #240

Monaco Owners Club
I've also had USAA, since 1973. USAA has insured my Monaco Windsor for over 15 years. When we bought our new motorhome we were passed off to Progressive. Very sad day. I was surprised the rate tripled. I also did not like the amount of time (over an hour on the phone) it took to secure a policy with Progressive.
I guess I need to do some insurance shopping.
What company does everyone recommend?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #241

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I guess I need to do some insurance shopping.
What company does everyone recommend?
I've had USAA since 1977. As a Florida resident, they priced themselves out of the housing insurance market between 2008 and 2010 (for me)...went with a local agent and cut my premium from $6600 (USAA) to $2400 (local agent), and that was for better coverage (and no, I do not live on the water). Similarly, when we bought our Outlaw (and sold our Hobbi pull-behind), I compared USAA Progressive (the Hobbi was with USAA; grandfathered) to others. USAA/Progressive wanted $1100 for the Outlaw; AARP's Hartford came in at $685 and included roadside assistance. I considered Good Sam's version, yet they wanted all my vehicles to be on the same policy and I'm not about to drop my three motorcycles off of USAA (prime; grandfathered rates). I just bought a Travel Supreme ME toy hauler, and am selling the Outlaw. Hence, I have two RVs; that is the only downside to AARP/Hartford--will only insure one RV per household. I've switched the Outlaw to USAA/Progressive (and the rates went up, of course); the ME is twice the value of the Outlaw, yet the annual rate was only $43 more.

Each state is different, though, with different rules. My friends in N.C. got a far different quote from AARP/Hartford and opted for USAA/Progressive.

BL: shop around...remember each state has different rules...ensure you compare apples-to-apples by writing down what each policy quote offers
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #242

We insure our vehicles with The Hartford which offers an annual auto policy versus 6 months. The MH premium is $1,000. We had 1 claim a couple of years ago and their service was excellent. I chose The Hartford because when I was employed with a major auto, home, and life Insurance company their fleet of company cars were insured with The Hartford. After 30-years in the insurance business I can say with experience you should always check the premium pricing and the carrier's A. M. Best financial strength rating. Beyond the carrier's price competitiveness and its financial strength rating the rest is all sales fluff. SHOP for insurance as you would a car, a motor home, or most any expensive item. The best does not necessarily have the highest price.
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #243

It does pay to do some shopping. I have been with USAA since the mid sixties. They used to insure my motorhome but they got out of that business as far as high-end motor home sales are concerned a few years back. They encouraged a switch to Progressive, but they increased my premiums by over 100% after a year. I switched to Gieco and they have treated us well. Had a claim in April after I damaged the toad and we were treated better than we deserved. The USAA home owner's insurance is probably over priced, and I probably need to shop that around.

I recommend that everyone who tows insure both the RV and auto with the same company.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #244
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I recommend that everyone who tows insure both the RV and auto with the same company.
My car is covered by USAA and my motorhome is covered by National Interstate (NI). Shop around for the best prices. There is no need to insure both vehicles with the same company because it's one of the 1st questions I have when dealing with a broker.

A broker will usually research the least expensive policies that meet your coverage needs. I wrote with Explorer RV Insurance who previously held a position with us as a sponsor.

In regard to the USAA insurance, I purchased that directly. When I asked about an RV policy they referred me to Progressive. I didn't like the rate that I was offered over NI. NI also provides me with a Coach-Net Gold policy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #245

I have read a few of these pages... Here is what I would say as the previous owner of a Property Restoration company and years of dealing with insurance companies on a daily basis...

USAA is probably one of the best examples of claim duality. Here in GA USAA has one of the best track records of paying claims. It is one of the companies here in GA that Resto Companies try hard to get jobs from (as opposed to Allstate). Now talking to many companies from the mid and upper mid-west it is quite opposite, they have the same issues with USAA that they have with the low end insurers. ** Note this was a few years ago

My point being is that a "claim experience" matters much more the district, general management, adjuster, and claim handler then it does the company itself. Even though Allstate has one of the WORST claim management records in the business, I often had positive experiences with them. However if you get stuck with a claim where the district supervisor, senior claims adjuster, or even the field adjuster is trying to "make a name" then you can have a really bad experience no matter the company.

Remember their job is the mitigate the claim cost, that is why they are called "adjusters" and not "representatives". Their jobs and positions rotate like socks so if they are head strong limiting claim cost is how they get ahead.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #246

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coachnet also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
My car is covered by USAA and my motorhome is covered by National Interstate (NI). Shop around for the best prices. There is no need to insure both vehicles with the same company because it's one of the 1st questions I have when dealing with a broker.

A broker will usually research the least expensive policies that meet your coverage needs. I wrote with Explorer RV Insurance who previously held a position with us as a sponsor.

In regard to the USAA insurance, I purchased that directly. When I asked about an RV policy they referred me to Progressive. I didn't like the rate that I was offered over NI. NI also provides me with a Coach-Net Gold policy.

DriVer,

Did I read that right? National Interstate included a Coach Net roadside program with your policy? I'd like to hear about the details if any- I think that is a great selling point.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #247

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
me too! ..I'm going to look them up..
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
DriVer,

Did I read that right? National Interstate included a Coach Net roadside program with your policy? I'd like to hear about the details if any- I think that is a great selling point.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Mine is covered with Explorer RV insurance and Coach Net was included as well. When I researched the difference between a main brand insurance carrier and a specialty RV carrier that and other special coverage's like vacation loss, personal effects, and fully covered windshield replacement were the difference. They also have special coverage for first owner and 2nd owner within 5 years to pay totaled claim at purchase price not blue book. Did not apply to me but that is why my neighbor next door used them.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
After being a USAA member for over 50 years, I've dumped them. Their rates are now uncompetitive for homeowner and auto. They refused to insure my home in Florida because it was built before 2001 despite the fact that it passed the wind mitigation inspection. The top management of Progressive is a George Soros type of supporter as well.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
DriVer,

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Beware of Coach Net. They've changed as well. My friend had a coolant leak in his diesel pusher and pulled into a rest area. He called Coach Net and their first question was if he was in a safe place. He said "sure, I'm in a rest area". Bad answer. Coach Net refused to provide service.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #251

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both Michigan and South Carolina have laws that if you buy a new car, or rent a car, your existing auto insurance is extended for a period of days (not sure how long but it was longer than I thought by quite a bit).

Well my RV is insured in MI.. When Wife and I bought a new JEEP I assumed the policy would be extended as per Michigan and SC law to cover the "new" used car... 4 days later wife crashed, single car fatal accident (Jeep and RV both were in her name so the policy should have covered it) Nationwide, who insures my RV at least for then and current year (i'm planing on a switch) refused to sign the Financial Responsibility form... Now understand there was never a claim, nor was there going to be, So it would have cost them one stamp plus envelope about 50 cents, Thankfully the Jeep was purchased in Wife's name so I did not get fined for no insurance, and she can't be.. But still.... One might say I'm pissed.

They told me "it is not an automobile policy" but you know,, the policy says it is. A motor home is very clearly an automobile. I don't tow it,, If it was a trailer (Towed) Then I'd not need to have auto insurance for it. (State law again). Just theft and other disaster. (Auto insurance is the responsibility of the TOW vehicle).

I do now have a claim against Nationwide for a problem with the motor home, THis will be resolved come Jan, Next renewal I'm calling my other car insurance company (Liberty Mutual) and chatting with them again... Due to driving history they would have cost more in 2013/4 but of course my history may have aged off now since I've had no accidents of violations in the last.. Several.. Years (had a few issues back when the MH was new and I was not yet used to driving it). One driver I accidently rubbed fenders with very angurally ask if I was just learning to drive.. I said, well, actually yes, it's only the 2nd Time I've driven this house and it does take some getting used to.. What could have been a bad situtation suddenly became almost friendly.. I wrote him a check for the statutory amount and we parted on good terms).
Old 12-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #252

OK folks here is the top ten deal here in NY (have to be careful here):

1. It is almost always better to insure ALL your things with ONE insurance company for a better overall rate.

2. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. READ your policy not the ticklers.

3. There is a difference between FULL time and less than full time and what that means. For example, the fine print can say and define "full time" however it wants to. It can be more then 90 days, six months etc. READ IT!

4. The first thing ALL insurance companies do is figure a way out from under the coverage. This is usually done when you FIRST CALL OR CONTACT them about the claim. READ IT!

5. Make sure you get under/uninsured coverage so that if the other person caused an accident and has poor insurance coverage, after collecting from them what they have you can get additional coverage ($$) from your own insurance company UP TO THE LIMIT OF YOUR UNDER/UNINSURED COVERAGE. Can't tell you all the times there was a $100,000 liability policy with under/uninsured limits of far less. STUPID!

6. It is almost always SMART to get FULL REPLACEMENT coverage versus actual cash value (ACV).

7. Most times the TOAD is NOT covered under the RV policy. READ IT!

8. Writing a letter to the NEW York State Insurance Department is nice but a summons and complaint often works better

9. Are you "working" out of your rig? There is a potential "non-coverage" issue. RV insurance, like boat insurance, is hardly ever covered under your homeowners policy. READ your homeowner's policy under EXCLUSIONS".

10. Most lawyers can't understand the language used in most policies and that often includes the Courts as well.

Just saying....
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance