Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #71

My auto,health,Rv,home, insurance all went up a little with no claims and I use progressive for the MH. As others have stated many companies give you a low rate to hook you then go up at renewal. Do we really know where every dollar end up that we spend?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Ok all... we're getting a valuable exchange of information here but we're going to have to insist we keep it focused on RV Insurance issues.

While the peripheral topic of what business execs do with their money may be interesting to some, this forum is not the place for it so please confine your posts to the topic at hand and keep political discussions on other, more appropriate forums on the web.

Thanks for you help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #73
jor

We had a hail strom here in Oklahoma and on first inspection did not think we had any damage on our Vectra but called Progressive anyway. The adjustor came out and said we had some minor crackes in the roof. Told me to take it to Lee's in OKC to have it repaired, $18.5K latter we are good to go. They could not have been better.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
I would say that decision was more specific to the adjuster than to the insurance company.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Gypsy View Post
Fellow RV Enthusiasts,

I know that many of you have posted asking about advice or feedback on insurance carriers for your RV. My wife and I currently have a class 'A' Pace Arrow and are insured with Progressive due to their competitive rates.

Recently, our coach was broken in to and my tool kit was stolen from the bay below the coach. Also, the full body paint on the side of the coach was vandalized by keying for about 20' on the passenger side. Being that I take meticulous care of the RV as many people do, this was absolutely gutting to see. I immediately filed a police report and an insurance claim for the damages and loss.

Since that time, I have been subjected to a most unprofessional and unreasonable experience care of Progressive. They required me to take the RV to a local dealer for evaluation, following which they determined they didn't like the review the dealer had done and sent out their "forensics examiner" who proceeded to damage the coach further because he took apart pieces of equipment that he had no working knowledge of and then couldn't figure out how to reassemble them again. Adding insult to injury, Progressive then said they would not pay for the items that their examiner had broken because the examiner stated they were already broken when he got there...except they weren't. They also sent their claims investigator to watch the examiner while he was doing his work on my coach, except he was too busy chatting on the phone in a vehicle 70' from where the work was being performed to care. Later, he stated to his superiors that the work was done fine and proceeded to deny coverage on the items his examiner damaged that weren't even a part of the original claim. Currently, they haven't paid me a penny for the $2000 worth of stolen tools or $500 in repairs that the keying caused -- let alone the damage they caused.

Relative to the timeframe and investigative work, all I can say is that we are two and half months in to this claim and it has a total of $2500 in value excluding the damage that was done by their examiner. I called my State Farm insurance agent who insures my home and in 10 minutes of evaluating the facts and photos, said he would issue a check the same afternoon if I wanted to file it as a home owner's claim. That told me all I needed to know about Progressive. It took me over a month simply to get them to look at surveillance video from the facility where the coach was broken into. They had denied the claim before they had even done any investigation work whatsoever.

It saddens me that there are insurers in business who unreasonably deny claims even when coverage is confirmed and your loss falls squarely within that coverage zone. Needless to say, I am filing a lawsuit against them and expect to win given that I have written statements supporting my claims from several RV mechanical experts, video footage, and an email trail with their own claims adjuster showing that it took forever just to get a simple response or investigation moving forward.

Their service was great until I filed a claim. Needless to say, I will be migrating my RV insurance to State Farm or other carrier whom I trust. Insurance companies don't sell insurance, they sell peace of mind. Once that's gone, you don't have a product worth anything...

Good luck out there -- I hope nobody else has this experience. It's been painful and sad.

With that lawsuit, be sure to get those written statements notorized.... I had a judge tell me that if I had noticed my statements I would have won my case against a ripoff company. Good Luck
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take lots of pictures... Just after the incedent, during inspection, etc.

Photos are proof and very difficult to argue against. Also, have a non-friend or non-relative witness if you can.

The insurance company is not your friend. They are a business you have a contract with. Their first move is to see if they can get out of the claim. Their second move is to dimish the claim. Their third move is to complete the claim with a little as possible.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have GIECO on my 4 cars (2 in Ohio and 2 in Alaska) GEICO requires separate policies for each state. Had GEICO for 3 months when my BIL totaled my pickup. The adjuster was there within 3 days and wrote me a check on the spot. My premium has not increased with them since the claim and that was 2 years ago.
Have AMIG on my 09 class C. No claims so can speak to service.
Bought my 09 class went to GEICO and AMIG for a quote. AMIG said they don't insure class As, GEICO was close to $2000.00 yr. Tried GMAC through Good Sam $1046.00 yr. With $500,000., $250,000.00, $100,000.00 Full replacement value for 5 years, $1,000.00 Deductible.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #78

R V Insurance

Depending on the coverage you want on your RV, you have to be careful how it is insured. Companies who specialize in writing a policy specific to RV's can be your best bet, but you have to be aware of the additional coverages available to you for an additional premium. Some people just add the rv to their personal auto policy. If you do that, you need to be aware that normally coverage on your personal property in your rv would be covered under your homeowners policy, subject to your homeowners policy deductible. My experience with Progressive (as an agent) as a whole has been good. Usually, I will advise a client to contact the insurance commissioners office if they have problems trying to get a claim settled. Most insurance companies do not want their name to appear in front of the State Commissioner roster too many times!!! It sounds like you may have had a lousy adjustor and examiner!!
JanineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #79

We have USAA for the RV. One small claim, went smoothly beyond compare. Have Progressive for the motorcycles and totalled one. My experience there was exemplary as well (except for the wreck, of course). Sounds to me like the adjuster/agent is more of an issue than the company itself.
DrScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #80

We just had an issue with GMAC. got ins. on our 5th wheel. A month later we got a letter asking for my wife to explain the last 2 accidents she had this year. She didn't have any accidents. She called and gave them her lic. # and other info and told them she has had no accidents. They then wanted our ex ins. co to fax them our records for the last 2 years. They did with no accidents on it. GMAC called and said "they would wave the accidents". My wife said "you can't wave what didn't happen" They said the 2 accidents would not be taken off their records but would be waved.... Did you ever hear of anything so absurd? So even though she never had any accidents according to GMAC she did.....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
google "peter lewis" he owns progrssive ins. many years ago he bragged on 60 minuets how he like to stay stoned all day,now he hangs around with george soros and funds the destruction of America
I WOULD NEVER PURCHASE PROGRESSIVE INS
altho i would date flo if my wife would allow it
brianj
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
google "peter lewis" he owns progrssive ins. many years ago he bragged on 60 minuets how he like to stay stoned all day,now he hangs around with george soros and funds the destruction of America
I WOULD NEVER PURCHASE PROGRESSIVE INS
altho i would date flo if my wife would allow it
brianj
Acooring to snopes.com :
"Lewis stepped down as from his rols as Progressive Insurance's CEO in 2000, so he now is neither an excutive of that company nor involved in it day to day managment"
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #83

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Acooring to snopes.com :
"Lewis stepped down as from his rols as Progressive Insurance's CEO in 2000, so he now is neither an excutive of that company nor involved in it day to day managment"
good to know thanks,however he is still chairman of the board and chief strategig planner for the company [moderator edit]
once again i repeat i would not spend my dollars there
now about flo and me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brianj
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ok all... we're getting a valuable exchange of information here but we're going to have to insist we keep it focused on RV Insurance issues.

While the peripheral topic of what business execs do with their money may be interesting to some, this forum is not the place for it so please confine your posts to the topic at hand and keep political discussions on other, more appropriate forums on the web.

Thanks for you help.

Rick
APPARENTLY, there are STILL those who don't pay much attention to Admin / moderator "intervention"
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance