Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #99

Brand and political preferences aside, hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes, hail, and all other nasty stuff has really affected my insurance rates. House insurance jumped 72% and vehicle insurance up 14% over last year. My agent shops rates every year and I still believe I'm getting the best value I can get. He has moved me from State Farm to Hartford to Liberty Mutual back to Hartford to Travelers as quotes warranted. Progressive has never been the best value in my case on a comparison basis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go
Brand and political preferences aside, hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes, hail, and all other nasty stuff has really affected my insurance rates. House insurance jumped 72% and vehicle insurance up 14% over last year. My agent shops rates every year and I still believe I'm getting the best value I can get. He has moved me from State Farm to Hartford to Liberty Mutual back to Hartford to Travelers as quotes warranted. Progressive has never been the best value in my case on a comparison basis.
Are you able to get RV insurance from State Farm or the others you mentioned? I thought there was only a few that would cover RVs.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with AARP / Hartford, $435 for full year. They also have a decent Road Service written into their MH policies. My coach is older so the actual value of the coach will increase the premium.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know there is a big difference shopping for insurance when you get into extra length and DP. My ins with progressive, limited use, is $924 a year. I will try AARP to see if I can do better. We are going to Full time next year, and I'm sure my rates will double.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #103

We're also with Progressive through USAA, and nobody could come close to the price. I've been in insurance/risk management/claims for over 20 years, and claim handling all comes down to the individual handling the claim and their immediate supervisors. If you know what you're entitled to, it's MUCH easier to work with the claim adjuster. I can't tell you how many people I've come across in my career who have never actually read their policies, but know that 'a friend' told them that they should get "x" if they're involved in an accident. I read through the whole thread - yes, if you drop your bike, that's a collision claim, it doesn't matter who the insurance company is. Yes, if your vehicle needs to be repaired, your policy (or state statute) may allow for the use of LKQ (like, kind & quality) parts, and not OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) and if you want new parts and not refurbished or after market parts, you pay the difference.

I get the frustration, but you can't take those sorts of things out on the claim adjusters, they're giving you what your policy allows. When a carrier acts in bad faith you should definitely call the insurance department in the state where your policy is written and find out what you have to do to file a formal complaint, but before you complain, make sure you know what your policy provides for.

It's a legal contract. You should read and understand every word of it before you agree to it.

Insurance is one of THE most regulated industries (next to banking) in the country. If your insurance company wants to raise premiums, they have to apply to the department of insurance to do so, and they have to justify why. If they want to change policy language, they have to submit the language to the department for approval. Are there bad carriers? Of course. But they don't usually last long. Large, national carriers are not inherently 'bad' - but their customer service is only as good as your luck of the draw on who answers the phone. Your best defense is to be the most educated consumer you can be /before/ you have to make that call. Know not only your rights, but their responsibilities, and you'll have a much easier time of it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #104

I had a $5,000 comprehensive claim on My 2005 Tiffin Bus the first year it was insured with Progressive due to a lightning strike. They covered no questions asked, and allowed me to take it anywhere I wanted -- local Freightliner dealer.

I have been continuously insured with Progressive ever since, and annual rates -- I prepayment in full every January -- has risen less than $200. ( from $1,100 to $1,300 in 6 years. However, from personal experience, all insurance companies differentiate between Collision and Comprehensive (moving) claims, as well as taking your claims history, driving record and credit scores into account.

Dave
Dassman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #105

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser
google "peter lewis" he owns progrssive ins. many years ago he bragged on 60 minuets how he like to stay stoned all day,now he hangs around with george soros and funds the destruction of America
I WOULD NEVER PURCHASE PROGRESSIVE INS
altho i would date flo if my wife would allow it
brianj
You said it brother
X2
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #106

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassman55 View Post
credit scores into account.
That should be illegal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jobeth 66 .. That is sound advice .
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #108

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Gypsy
Hi Everyone -

Thanks to all who offered constructive feedback. I wanted to let you all know how this turned out.

You'll recall that my coach was vandalized and burglarized under coverage with Progressive Insurance. After which, I filed a claim that was denied and had an unbelievably poor experience with their claims personnel.

Following months of legal action, Progressive Insurance was shown to have acted in bad faith and were required to not only pay my original claim, but all attorney and filing fees as well.

It was sad that it had to come to that, but all was made right in the end. And now I am with State Farm.

Happy RV'ing out there!
We have been with State Farm for over 40 years. We have filed several claims for crashes, broken pipes,etc. While none of these claims have involved our motor home, we have never had any problems having our claims quickly paid. You couldn't get me to change.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired-old View Post
We have been with State Farm for over 40 years. We have filed several claims for crashes, broken pipes,etc. While none of these claims have involved our motor home, we have never had any problems having our claims quickly paid. You couldn't get me to change.
Whereas I had State Farm for 20 years and found their claim handing to be mediocre, at best. One of my sons was involved in a multi-car accident while he was in college. His car was totaled from being hit in the rear, but he also hit the 2 cars in front of him. They had minimal damage - 1 had $500 and one had $200 (the first car). State Farm paid the driver of the first car over $75k for "injuries", which caused my premiums to go up. My husband and I were in a serious accident a few years ago and the person who hit us was underinsured. My husband had to have significant surgery and is still in pain, and State Farm decided that his injury was worth $25k. I'm still fighting them on that one. I had to hire a lawyer to sue my own insurance company - and I do this for a /living/.

I'll never use State Farm again.

Which is why I said what I said above. Everyone's experience is going to be dependent on the individual they get on the phone. At least I know USAA prides itself on service.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #110

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66

Whereas I had State Farm for 20 years and found their claim handing to be mediocre, at best. One of my sons was involved in a multi-car accident while he was in college. His car was totaled from being hit in the rear, but he also hit the 2 cars in front of him. They had minimal damage - 1 had $500 and one had $200 (the first car). State Farm paid the driver of the first car over $75k for "injuries", which caused my premiums to go up. My husband and I were in a serious accident a few years ago and the person who hit us was underinsured. My husband had to have significant surgery and is still in pain, and State Farm decided that his injury was worth $25k. I'm still fighting them on that one. I had to hire a lawyer to sue my own insurance company - and I do this for a /living/.

I'll never use State Farm again.

Which is why I said what I said above. Everyone's experience is going to be dependent on the individual they get on the phone. At least I know USAA prides itself on service.
I also think a lot depends on the claims person you talk to. The agent that you have can have a major effect on your outcome. Gotta be as many good and bad stories out there as there are crashes and claims. Sorry your issues have been so crappy and hope your husband does well.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #111

Have not been on this site for a long time, but came across it due to research about insurance.

Current MH is a 2005 DP, and has been insured with Progressive since then without any claims.

Just received our bill for next year, and it increased by $600.00! Solid driving record and again, no claims.

Have been a member of USAA for 40 years and did not realize they were linked with Progressive. Will call Progressive this week to inquire about the rate increase, and see if there are any discounts for USAA.

I may have to shop around for another carrier however.
Buckeye Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #112

I'm also insured with Progressive through USAA which has my insurance for my home and vehicles; Progressive also insures my boat through USAA.
My motor home is old but I do have full coverage on it at a cost of $268 per year with Progressive. I just got an electronic quote from Good Sam GMAC insurance for $398 per year for the same coverage; I will stay with Progressive for the time being but I am a bit wary of their service. Hopefully USAA will be helpful if I do have trouble with a claim with Progressive.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance