Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #141

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holy cow, that IS high! I just renewed with Progressive for 12 months at $1320.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #142

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Geico quoted just under 100 a month... I'll take it!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #143

Fleetwood Owners Club
AARP/The Hartford wants $647 a year for our coach. Nice to be an old fart.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #144

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
AARP/The Hartford wants $647 a year for our coach. Nice to be an old fart.
HA! Congrats!!! You made it
Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #145

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been with Nationwide for years.. Well last Easter we bought a new used Jeep, wife found a tree at 55 mph just 4 short days (2 business days) later and totaled the jeep.

That Nationwide did not cover the jeep I do not mind but both the state she crashed in and the state we list as our residence so it's where the policy was purchased have "Grace period" coverage of new or rental cars.. If you have an existing auto policy it covers a new purchase or a rental for a brief period of days... NATIONWIDE said the RV, a Class A MOTOR home, is not an automobile.

Sure suprised the heck out of me.

Looking for a new insurer I am.. My new towed is with E-Surance.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #146

I think you will find that to be the case on almost all insurance companies concerning motor homes.

GL Arnold
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Holy cow, that IS high! I just renewed with Progressive for 12 months at $1320.

Craig
Do you remember if this is with "Purchase Price" or "Actual Cash Value" in case of total destruction of the MH?

I had National Interstate for years on my 2004 36' Itasca with Purchase Price coverage but they continually increased premiums each year then last year jumped from $1,800 to $2,300 so I switched to Progressive after also checking GMAC through FMCA (quoted $1,650). Progressive dropped my premium to $1,147 but I had to give up the Purchase Price coverage, which I hated to do but couldn't see paying almost $1,200/year extra just to add that coverage with National Interstate.

Just received my Progressive premium notice for the next year and it increased almost 18%, which I figured would happen considering all I've read about Progressive.

Anyone have any recent experience with their insurance on motorhomes not increasing so much every year?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #148

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
After reading every single post in this thread I feel the need to post a few observations:

1. Most those posting what their rates are with different companies are doing so without qualifying their policy. There is a big BIG difference between insuring a RV for full time use vs. "recreational" use. One guy says he pays $xxxx.00 per year for his insurance from Progressive and the next post says he only pays $xx.00 for his insurance through State Farm????? So are both coming from the same root? I doubt it as State Farm DOES NOT cover FULL TIME RV use. So there is no comparison.

2. As far as USAA is concerned I've seen low quotes for a RV (most likely a towed RV) vs. higher quotes from USAA progressive. USAA doesn't insure motorized RV's but uses Progressive as a "partner." You deal with a slightly different section of the company. Once again, it seems the comparison is also comparing a FULL TIME insurance at full replacement value vs. part time RV use and current wholesale value of the insured vehicle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this very long thread is highly confusing to someone trying to research the cost of insurance for their particular requirements. Too many posts seem to compare apples to oranges. JMHO
USAA and Progressive have an agreement. They are not connected in any way other than that.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #149

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Do you remember if this is with "Purchase Price" or "Actual Cash Value" in case of total destruction of the MH?
My premium includes purchase price coverage. ACV would have been about $300 a year less. I too like the added coverage, so I don't mind paying extra. Progressive will offer me this as long as I stay with them. I looked at other insurance companies before renewing this year, and no one would even offer me purchase price coverage due to the age of my RV.

Craig

Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #150

Craig -- How long have you been with Progressive? This will be my second year and I'll be paying about the same as you on my 2004 but without the Purchase Price coverage.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
would it be totally uncouth to inquire how much your policies are per year?

USAA / Progressive just quoted me $4539 for the year and I just fell off my couch.
Where in the world could they have come up with that figure? Surely someone hit the wrong key on the quote. Was this a renewal or just a quote for a new policy?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #152

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Where in the world could they have come up with that figure? Surely someone hit the wrong key on the quote. Was this a renewal or just a quote for a new policy?
New quote! I don't know if she just made a mistake or was trying to pull the wool over my eye's real quick, regardless, I ran.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #153

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Craig -- How long have you been with Progressive? This will be my second year and I'll be paying about the same as you on my 2004 but without the Purchase Price coverage.
I've had them since I bought the coach in 2006.

Craig

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #154

Craig -- Always love your little line at the bottom of your Post, about holding the wheel. Whenever anyone asks if the wife drives our big DP I always just say "Oh yes, but I get to hold onto the wheel". It never fails to get a good laugh, that's after the blank stare for a short time.

Tags
insurance