Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Watch out for anything sold by or endorsed by AARP! I've investigated their dial-up internet service in the past and found all kinds of complaints online of slow speeds, poor service, etc. and that AARP would ignore member complaints. I checked out their cellular phone plan a year or two ago and it was more expensive than the prepaid Virgin Mobile plan I'm using (and the Virgoin Mobile plan is every bit as convenient since it tops up automatically every three months or when the balance drops below $5.00). Their Medicare supplement plans are underwritten by United Health Care, one of the worst medical insurance companies around.

I would very carefully investigate anything endorsed by AARP before pulling the trigger.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #30

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
...Hartford then sent us a letter stating our insurance would go up $400 a year for 4 years to "cover the accident"...
If I got a letter like that from an insurance company, especially after ten years of paying premiums without a claim, I would hire a lawyer and sue for the non-liability part of the premiums, plus interest, I had paid! What's the point of having insurance if you are going to have to pay for the claim anyway?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #31

iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know if they insure RVs, but stay away from American Summit. The "jerks" (Mama told me not to use the more appropriate words) sent me documentation every year that said wind damage to awnings was covered by full replacement value. When, after 15 years of paying premiums with no claims, the carport on my mobile home awning was half ripped off by a storm, they depreciated the replacement value by 40%! When I challenged them on that, they claimed that my documentation did state that they would depreciate the value for age. I then demanded that they send me a copy with that highlighted since i couldn't find it. They sent me a thick document that I had never received with it highlighted. The only reason I didn't sue or file a complaint with the State is I have no way of proving they never gave me that document when I first got my insurance.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had a couple of auto claims with Progressive in the past and was very happy with their claims department. However my MH insurance kept going up substantially each each without claims so I eventually switched everything to GMAC and saved close to $2000 the first year.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I have Progressive insurance coverage (including comprehensive) on my 2007 BMW K1200GT motorcycle. Last year the motorcycle fell over while on the centerstand. I immediately notified Progressive and proceeded to get an estimate to get the bodywork repaired.

A couple of days later, Progressive called to say that they would indeed cover the claim, but it would go on my record as a chargeable collision. When I inquired why, the only response they could give was, "Well, the motorcycle collided with the pavement, didn't it?"
And I'll bet they have the claim on your records as a "$0-$1000 claim" like they did to me. Call them and ask.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And I'll bet they have the claim on your records as a "$0-$1000 claim" like they did to me. Call them and ask.
Even though I cancelled the claim and paid for the repairs out of my pocket, it wouldn't surprise me, although my premium actually went down this year.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #35

I've had State Farm for years - have everything through them. Never had a claim problem - in fact the opposite. Checked their price on our coach and found it was much cheaper than the Good Sam rate. I'd never use Progressive since they are owned by such a liberal. Allstate has always had a bad name among people I know. I don't want insured by a lizard. So I'm staying with State Farm. Lowest premiums are not the best indicator of a good insurance co.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
I have USAA for everything also, with Progressive for the MH and boat. However, I wrote a letter to USAA and will cancel both policies at renewal. My reasons are the actions of their chairman, Peter Lewis. Bing or Google him for an explanation.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I have USAA for everything also, with Progressive for the MH and boat. However, I wrote a letter to USAA and will cancel both policies at renewal. My reasons are the actions of their chairman, Peter Lewis. Bing or Google him for an explanation.
I had no idea, however after searching found this snopes.com: Progressive Insurance - Peter Lewis Donations
and will dropping Progressive next year at renewal time.
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
......it wouldn't surprise me, although my premium actually went down this year.

Rusty
Rusty: Happy for you and Sandy, but that is not the case for me. Just got my Progressive renewal and the total premium has increased by almost 13% since last year rate. No change in coverage, although I did get down to $0.00 deductible because of being claim free for 4 years.

I decided I would look around for comparable coverage at a better price, but I learned that Geico does not offer the "total replacement cost" coverage I have with Progressive, so It looks like I'll swallow hard and renew.

All my other ins is with State Farm, and they have always been terrific to work with. They will only write ACV coverage, like Geico, and that is how I got with Progressive in the first place. Because a MH depreciates much faster than the loan principle goes down, I don't want to be responsible for the "GAP" that surely exists on my RV loan, and so I will keep the coverage I have in case of a total loss.

Like somebody posted upthread, "ins. is for peace of mind" and I like not worrying about the GAP. For others that may not be a concern....Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Ed,

Bear in mind my Progressive premium that decreased is for MOTORCYCLE insurance.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #40

The simple fact that George Soros, 'The Great Destroyer', plays a major role with Progressive is enough for me to not even consider them; regardless of how much they claim they'll save me in premuims. Added to that determination is the influence and contributions of Peter Lewis, which were matched by Soros.

There's more at stake here than selfish single-mindedness.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #41

I really do not care what employees do with their money after I pay my bill. You do not know what other execs at other companies are doing with "your" money. Not trying to be hateful or snotty, just really not an issue for me. NOW to the important part. My coach was in a BAD hail storm while at a dealers getting some minor things fixed. The shop estimated $16,000 damage and got the OK from progressive to start repairs. A couple of days later the Progressive adjuster came by to check on it and upped the estimate to over $21,000, stayed on top of the repairs, kept me informed by phone and made follow-up calls after I got it back. Just one example. I had a stone break a windshield. They replaced it with my deductible. The windshield popped out on a corner, i took it back, the glass man put it back in and said he did not think it would stay as the windshield would not fit the hole. Took a long trip, got 1300 miles from home, it popped out again, called Progressive and told them the history. They found a shop that said they would fix it so we got it mostly back in, taped it up and headed the 300 more miles up the road. When we got there is was out on the corner again. The glass man said it had been installed imporoperly and it would take him a day to fix it. He would take both windshields out, reset them and then silicone them but they would need to sit overnight. He got it done as promised. It is now about 3,000 miles later {on the same trip} and the windshield looks as good as new. Progressive paid him over $400 direct for fixing it again, have called me 3 times checking on it and gave me a direct number to call if it gives me any more problems. I have also had several rock chips fixed at no cost and Progressive has always called me later to make sure the repairs were done to my satisfaction. In short, they have always bent over backward to service my claim, my rates have not gone up and I am way more than satisfied with Progressive. All of this is just my experience and opinions and obviously yours may vary but I will stick with them like glue for the foreseeable future no matter what they do with the money after I pay my bill.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
He would take both windshields out, reset them and then silicone them but they would need to sit overnight.
I hope you meant to say "reset them and the used urethane on them but they would need to sit overnight"
No shop that's worth anything would use silicone on a windshield. They use black urethane instead.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance