Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Progressive RV Insurance - Beware

Fellow RV Enthusiasts,

I know that many of you have posted asking about advice or feedback on insurance carriers for your RV. My wife and I currently have a class 'A' Pace Arrow and are insured with Progressive due to their competitive rates.

Recently, our coach was broken in to and my tool kit was stolen from the bay below the coach. Also, the full body paint on the side of the coach was vandalized by keying for about 20' on the passenger side. Being that I take meticulous care of the RV as many people do, this was absolutely gutting to see. I immediately filed a police report and an insurance claim for the damages and loss.

Since that time, I have been subjected to a most unprofessional and unreasonable experience care of Progressive. They required me to take the RV to a local dealer for evaluation, following which they determined they didn't like the review the dealer had done and sent out their "forensics examiner" who proceeded to damage the coach further because he took apart pieces of equipment that he had no working knowledge of and then couldn't figure out how to reassemble them again. Adding insult to injury, Progressive then said they would not pay for the items that their examiner had broken because the examiner stated they were already broken when he got there...except they weren't. They also sent their claims investigator to watch the examiner while he was doing his work on my coach, except he was too busy chatting on the phone in a vehicle 70' from where the work was being performed to care. Later, he stated to his superiors that the work was done fine and proceeded to deny coverage on the items his examiner damaged that weren't even a part of the original claim. Currently, they haven't paid me a penny for the $2000 worth of stolen tools or $500 in repairs that the keying caused -- let alone the damage they caused.

Relative to the timeframe and investigative work, all I can say is that we are two and half months in to this claim and it has a total of $2500 in value excluding the damage that was done by their examiner. I called my State Farm insurance agent who insures my home and in 10 minutes of evaluating the facts and photos, said he would issue a check the same afternoon if I wanted to file it as a home owner's claim. That told me all I needed to know about Progressive. It took me over a month simply to get them to look at surveillance video from the facility where the coach was broken into. They had denied the claim before they had even done any investigation work whatsoever.

It saddens me that there are insurers in business who unreasonably deny claims even when coverage is confirmed and your loss falls squarely within that coverage zone. Needless to say, I am filing a lawsuit against them and expect to win given that I have written statements supporting my claims from several RV mechanical experts, video footage, and an email trail with their own claims adjuster showing that it took forever just to get a simple response or investigation moving forward.

Their service was great until I filed a claim. Needless to say, I will be migrating my RV insurance to State Farm or other carrier whom I trust. Insurance companies don't sell insurance, they sell peace of mind. Once that's gone, you don't have a product worth anything...

Good luck out there -- I hope nobody else has this experience. It's been painful and sad.
AZ Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "that I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up. When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told other companies that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was 0. When I found out I contacted the Ins Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.

We now have GMAC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Reading all of this, I am seriously considering changing my coverage from Progressive to GEICO, who insures everything else I own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well there are two sides to every story and if this side is accurate, this is not good for Progressive. The Lizard is looking better now and we have our cars insured with them but not the coach.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our last motorhome a 2004 Intruder had a rock hit the lower right conner of the windshield cracking it while in Branson. I called Progressive and told them what had happened, they sent me to a glass shop to look at it and the guy there said they would replace both sides of the windshield that way it would match and looked good. I got a first class job and the rates never went up. I pay $968.00 a year on our 09 Bounder and Good Sam's & GMAC both wanted over $2,000 for the same.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AZ Gypsy... I would contact the State Insurance Department and file a complaint against Progressive and also send the information to Good Sam's Club if you are a member asking them to intervene.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dropped Progressive after three years, my rates went up every year until it was more thar the State Farm I had previously. No claims was filed during that period.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said that State Farm would write you a check for it why? It wasn't sitting at your home.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
It pays to shop. I had progressive, never has a claim, but when I checked Good Sam's GMAC they saved me a lot of money so I switched. Now they have all my vehicles and house policy, I have had one claim and they paid for the repair within two weeks. I had the check before the paint/body shop was finished. I am a Good Sam/GMAC fan!
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had Progressive on my Cars, then when i bought my MH i shopped around found AARP had the best price saved lots. Have not had to file a claim yet so we will see.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We have USAA for everything. At purchase of the MH they advised "we do not insure MH's but Progressive has a program for our people". Even a special phone number which is answered "USAA Progressive. As long as Progressive is competitive we will rely on USAA's big stick should a problem occur....
I'm also 35 year USAA member. When I was referred to Progessive I was quoted ~$1500/year. GMAC quoted ~$500/year, who I went with. I got a Hartford quote that was in the $1000/year range. This is all for comparable coverage. I spoke to USAA and told them Progressive was out of line.

I know that the quality of an insurance company is determined by how it pays claims rather than how low its rates are, so we shall see about GMAC.

I talked to a body shop manager that said Progressive often requires non OEM body parts when repairing cars, too. I am not surprised by this report on Progressive.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I have Progressive insurance coverage (including comprehensive) on my 2007 BMW K1200GT motorcycle. Last year the motorcycle fell over while on the centerstand. I immediately notified Progressive and proceeded to get an estimate to get the bodywork repaired.

A couple of days later, Progressive called to say that they would indeed cover the claim, but it would go on my record as a chargeable collision. When I inquired why, the only response they could give was, "Well, the motorcycle collided with the pavement, didn't it?"

I told them to forget it - drop the claim and I'll pay for it myself. Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed and will be shopping around for alternate insurers. The rest of our vehicles are with GEICO - guess I'll get a quote from the lizard.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
In regard to the RV, I called www.Poliseek.com and wrote with, American Modern Insurance Group. Poliseek is a recreational vehicle insurance broker and they only write with good companies that have a good track record and offer clients good rates. Give them a call and see if you can get a good rate with them.

My auto insurance is with USAA, just about the best rate I could get anywhere. When I asked about RV insurance, I was forwarded to Progressive whose rates were a considerable amount more than AMIG.

Our house is insured by a separate company and the reason for this is not a lot of companies want to write property on the South Carolina coast even though there has not been a mandatory evacuation from this location, nor are we in a flood zone. We're about 16 miles as the crow flies, on the other side of the Intracoastal waterway and west of the Waccamaw River.

In regard to glass, in this state it is a non-chargeable claim. A broken window is not going to jack up my rates. SC is a full glass state.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance