Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
Onan generators have built into the generator over/under frequency and voltage protection. No need to have the surge protector protecting the generator IMO.

John & Berenda
2014 Palazzo 33.2
KarKaddy SS / Chevy Cruze
Indy1951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #16
I sell large generators in my business and I have seen them surge to 360 volts when a regulator goes bad. Maybe the little 7.5 to 12 kw have some kind of protection but I would think they would suge before shutting down.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #17
Ronrad, wondering if you also service gens since you sell them? I have had my 10,000 unit to 3 different shops and none have got it back to where it needs to be. Cummins changed the the voltage regulator. that helped for a few hours and then went back to surging and spiking to 136 volts on both legs. Thank goodness for the surge protector!!!
Marinerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #18
I take my small units to Engine Generator Specialities in Madison Wisconsin. All they do is small generators and roof airs. They are the best.

Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Ronrad View Post
Mounted it today right next to the panel. Works great with the shore line and the genset.

I did the same on my last coach. There is nothing wrong with mounting it here. The only negative is the transfer switch's logic boards are protected. There is one nuisance. You have to wait for both the protection device's timer and transfer switch's timer before generator power is made available.
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We had our Progressive installed before the transfer switch because that's where Progressive says it should be placed.
Actually, the Installation Guide gives you instructions for both options without a preference for either.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #21
Look at the FAQ section on their website under "Should a hardwired EMS system be installed before or after the Transfer Switch" and I think you will see their clear preference. Also, I have read of discussions with Tommy Fannelli in which he also suggests placement before the transfer switch. While I am leaning toward moving my Progressive in order to protect my coach from more devastating, if rare, cases of problems with the gen set, I won't do so until after I contact Progressive personally. Since they so clearly do prefer protecting the transfer switch, I want to ensure I haven't missed something before moving the Progressive. It's on my list. Others may want to call and report back sooner than I will get around to it.

Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote