Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Propane auxiliary quick connect

I want to add the "T" to my tank then run a hose or pipe to the passenger side and put a quick connect on that end. Then have a hose that would fit my Coleman stove or a portable gas grill that with a quick connect that I can easily plug in. I have seen the quick connects on some trailers and pop ups but not on the larger RV's. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get the parts? I have looked for a few years in various camp stores and camping world as well as plumbing/propane suppliers. Is there a reason these are not more available or not just built into the motor homes?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

Check with propane dealers
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I added an Extenda Stay kit to my propane tank. It comes with a 12 foot hose to hook up to my Weber Q grill. You can buy additional hoses in 12 foot lengths if needed. I got it at camping world. You can also use it to add a portable tank to your MH if your onboard tank runs low and you can't get it filled.
doubleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacearow View Post
I want to add the "T" to my tank then run a hose or pipe to the passenger side and put a quick connect on that end. Then have a hose that would fit my Coleman stove or a portable gas grill that with a quick connect that I can easily plug in. I have seen the quick connects on some trailers and pop ups but not on the larger RV's. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get the parts? I have looked for a few years in various camp stores and camping world as well as plumbing/propane suppliers. Is there a reason these are not more available or not just built into the motor homes?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey

I did just what you want to do ! First I put a T in the gas line AFTER the regulator on your main propane tank. Next came a ball valve after the the T . Then came a brass quick connect from an air hose. I then used a length of air hose to my grill. I then used a small valve to control the propane flow into the jet.
I did remove the regulator and control valve from my grill .
It might not meet code , but it works great !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dan,

Last year I did exactly what you are interested in doing so I can run my Camp Chef stove off the coach propane tank. I bought the parts from BBQ Pits by Tejas | Barbecue Pit Smoker | Barbecue Grill | Houston Texas tradition of wood smokers and had a gas plumber that had previously done work for me come out and run the hard line from the regulator over to the curb side of the coach add a shut-off valve and a quick disconnect. You can do it your self but you need to be sure you know what you are doing and get all of the pipe connections properly sealed and pipes supported. For me it was worth the peace of mind spending about $100 to have a certified gas plumber do it.

Glenn
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

BBQ hookup

Easily done. Parts available at most hardware stores and Home Depot.
Turn off main tank, install black iron tee(usually 1/2"x 1/2"x 1/2" after the main regulator(Low pressure side), 1/2" nipple to desired length, 1/2" ball valve, natural gas bbq install kit which includes quick connect and 10' hose, brass adapters to fit bbq. regulator from Weber will have to be removed. As for coleman stove it may run at higher pressure and it will not work. Total cost around 50-60$.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, looks like this is pretty common. I am reasonably handy.... First there is the tank, then the regulator after that I put the "T". At this point I think I will run black pipe, CAREFULLY and SAFELY under the coach to an end with a quick connect with a shut-off on the curb side. My coach has the tank tucked up underneath in the middle with an auxiliary fill valve in a box in the back. I really like the setup because I don't loose a big storage box to a propane tank. At any rate... Since it is reasonably low pressure there should be no reason I can't cut off one end of the hose I have (the one with a pin in it, when screwing in opens the valve) securely clamp the male quick connect to the hose and still be able to use my Coleman stove with the pin end and other similar grills. Correct? Lastly I assume the air hoses, valves and quick connects used for air compressors and sold at home stores are the same as the propane valves and hoses and therefore I should be able to use them.

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

No they are not the same but folks use them.

Do it correct and visit a propane servicing store.

Here they can make or modify your hoses and supply the correct parts and help you with your project via good advice and instruction.

Let them show you the correct way to install and test it as well as providing the correct parts as here a dollar pinched on incorrect materials is not a wise choice.

Be sure the qd fitting is rated fot lpg and you have a shut off valve as secondary control.

Add an item to your check list for that valve.

Ours has factory installed qd fitting for a grill but po used the hose and fitting to connect a heater in the cabin.

Fitting is on low side of regulator via tee fitting.

It is one of the mat type that has no moving parts and works very well.

We use charcoal anyway...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
TQ60.Some campgrounds don't allow charcoal.;o)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
TQ60.Some campgrounds don't allow charcoal.;o)

True.
Good reason for me to have a Q-gas with 4lb tanks on a hose (so it goes anywhere in camp) and a hibachi coaler using pure mesquite.
Those two and cooking over wood a bit make it all delicious.
The Coleman stove on the same hose completes the go-anywhere cooking circle.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Here's a previous thread discussing the same question. See my post, #8, for what I had made up.
Hope this helps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153133

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went to the RV store the other day and was ready to purchase the "T". The guy there said that the quick connect will not work off the T. If you put the T on between tank and regulator the quick is not made for high pressure. If you put the T on after the regulator you will not get enough gas to run the stove. He says the quick connects I see on trailers an pop ups are made for the low pressure stove that is inside the trailer to be brought outside. I want to put the T on between tank and regulator, run a gas line to the curb side of the coach and terminate the line with a female, quick connector. Then take the male end and install it on one end of the gas hose that feeds Noy Coleman stove and portable gas grill that traditionally use the small bottle tanks with a pin in the connection. Makes sense?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can get QC for high pressure as well as flexible hose rated for high pressure.

I had a hydraulics shop make a 12' extension for me. Not cheap...the QC (Female end) was $25 just by itself. So I opted to for a valve instead.

I have a black iron pipe ran curbside with a valve and a flexible line curbside with a valve and 1/20 connector. So I have two extension lines. One-High Pressure with 1/20 fittings on each end (the green 1lb fittings). They run my Master Forge grill or table-sized patio heater. One-Low pressure with QC for my Camp Chef

This prevents me from being able to accidently connect a High Pressure line to a Low Pressure appliance.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane