Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
mre

Propane Bottles

Why do Class A motorhomes have permanently fixed propane bottles instead of removable ones like travel trailers and 5th wheels?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

Not positive , ground clearance from the underside of the floor may be part of it .
There are options for hooking up a bottle if your in one spot for an extended stay.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

Motorhomes usually have larger capacity. Ours is 38 gal. Lasting 2+ years? Some even larger.
We don't have a LP frig., use the convention and toaster ovens, water heater almost always on electric. Our better insulated rig uses less LP to heat.
And we drive to LP stations when we are out on the road. Cheaper than delivered. Our reserve is larger, have never run out.
There is a app for LP stations.
Enough said?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Motorhomes usually have larger capacity. Ours is 38 gal. Lasting 2+ years? Some even larger.
I once had to do significant driving in very cold temps ... As low as 0 F for much of it. A smaller removable tank would have left me .... Cold. Very much appreciated the larger capacity. My thinking the basic difference is in philosophy between a "camper"versus a "home" (that happens to be on wheels)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
We don't have a LP frig., use the convention and toaster ovens, water heater almost always on electric. Our better insulated rig uses less LP to heat.
And we drive to LP stations when we are out on the road. Cheaper than delivered. Our reserve is larger, have never run out.
There is a app for LP stations.
Enough said?
What's the app? Sounds like a great resource.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Propane Cylinders for transportation are built to Department of Transportation (DOT) specifications and their capacity is expressed in pounds of water. Typically used for BBQ grill or Travel Trailer.

Propane Tanks for permanent installation are built to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) boiler and pressure vessel standards and their capacity is expressed in US Gallons. An example of a ASME Tank is supply for a backup generator or a chassis mounted RV cylinder.

https://www.eaglepropanesales.com/cylinders-vs-tanks
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is mostly convenience for larger capacity, since portable DOT-spec bottles are tough to lug. Even a 40# bottle (about 80 lbw total) can be a struggle to get out from under a compartment and to the to the filling station, and back again. But smaller class C's usually have fixed (ASME-spec) tanks too, and they often aren't real big.

I've seen a very few motorhomes with horizontal-mount, portable bottles. Usually only 20# or 30#
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Propane Cylinders for transportation are built to Department of Transportation (DOT) specifications and their capacity is expressed in pounds of water. Typically used for BBQ grill or Travel Trailer.

Propane Tanks for permanent installation are built to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) boiler and pressure vessel standards and their capacity is expressed in US Gallons. An example of a ASME Tank is supply for a backup generator or a chassis mounted RV cylinder.

https://www.eaglepropanesales.com/cylinders-vs-tanks
I guess I am missing something from the link, but exactly why can't motorhomes use tanks?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

A matter of convenience I would guess. I love not having to trade cylinders all the time and a full up is much less expensive than bottle exchanges. I have run the cabin heat while moving because the cockpit heater would not keep us comfortable, it can't, and is not designed to heat a 30to40 ft. Motorhome. Since a TT or5 th you don't have occupants in full time you don't have same needs. Just my 2cents worth, 😂
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I guess I am missing something from the link, but exactly why can't motorhomes use tanks?
ed rzepka
They CAN.... (and maybe more would if motor home buyers didn't mind the inconvenience of removable tanks).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would hate dealing with small portable bottles. Nice to have the large tanks capacity. I use propane for heat, refer, hot water and stove. Smaller bottles would need to be swapped out far too often.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Motorhomes usually use permanently mounted tanks. The larger tanks are often needed for the generator as well as cooking and the fridge.

Cylinders (20# pair) are used with travel trailers since they may not have a generator. and a more portable.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Built-in tanks also do not have an expiration tank on them. Cylinders do. Since I have a propane generator I go through a lot of propane. Some days I wish I had both options -- built-in tank and cylinders.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Built-in tanks also do not have an expiration tank on them. Cylinders do. Since I have a propane generator I go through a lot of propane. Some days I wish I had both options -- built-in tank and cylinders.
I installed a T fitting and selector valve set up on my previous MH to allow me to use a gas bottle when desired.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane