Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Propane Coach Furnace

I noticed that our coach propane fired furnaces run fine when on shore power or when the engine is off. However, when rolling down the road they do not work properly. Does the generator need to run for them to work? It is a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. Service Advisor was not sure but thought the generator was needed when traveling. Others experiences?
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

It may be wind or you may try turning on your inverter same as if you had the genset running because your alternator will charge your batteries.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They should work the same parked on battery power, On Shore power driving down the road on engine alternator power.

HOWEVER there are two possible issues.

First: DO they work normaly on battery power (not plugged in, generator not running, on pure battery power) if the answer is yes, then it's not the first:

THe engine alternator on MOST motorhomes (if not all) is suspposed to charge the house bateries in addition to the chassis.. now if you have "Big loads" (REsidential Fridge on an inverter for example) it may not be able to keep up.

OR.. If there is something wrong with teh isolator, alternator, or wiring,

THe second suspect, this applies IF it works fine on pure batttery power.. Someimes if the burner needs a bit of attention the wind of movement can blow it out. Preventive Maintenace procedures outlined in the furnace owner's manual may fix this.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The furnaces work fine on battery power. As we roll down the road I hear them fire but just don't light for long. Will look in the manual for preventative maintenance. Hopefully just an adjustment and all will be good. Otherwise back to the dealer when I need to have something else looked at.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
Thanks for the replies. The furnaces work fine on battery power. As we roll down the road I hear them fire but just don't light for long. Will look in the manual for preventative maintenance. Hopefully just an adjustment and all will be good. Otherwise back to the dealer when I need to have something else looked at.
and have the service advisor brush up on the RV,s he,s suppose to be having repaired.
The fact that Both of them act up and in the same fashion is weird.
One I can see as sidewinds etc. can adversely effect LPG furnaces when driving down the highway
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

McRvnut - I agree with you. The response I received from the service advisor did not sound correct, hence my post here. I can see running the generator for the A/C or the heat strips in the A/C but not fan furnaces. Will take it in and have them look at it since it is still under warranty.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do they run ok when you run the generator running down the road. If they do then it would sound like your coach batteries not keeping up either through not being charged by alternator or too big an inverter load.

If they do not run ok with the generator running then probably going to be a wind problem as suggested.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Dumb assumption. I thought the gen had to be on to run furnace down the road. Soooo the furnace fan just draws off the coach batteries which are recharged by the alternator? I am still learning, thought I knew everything, dam it.
rhlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the furnace is a 12 volt device (Battery powered)

The one limit I see is this. That blower sucks major amps (not sure how many but I'll bet it's double digits) and it may be the path from the alternator to the house system for re-charge is a bit...er.. long and thus the alternator can't push enough amps to the batteries to keep things running.

But.. That said.. I seriously doubt that is the problem. I'm basically shotgunning here and that's the only pellet not already on target.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes the furnace is a 12 volt device (Battery powered)

The one limit I see is this. That blower sucks major amps (not sure how many but I'll bet it's double digits) and it may be the path from the alternator to the house system for re-charge is a bit...er.. long and thus the alternator can't push enough amps to the batteries to keep things running.

But.. That said.. I seriously doubt that is the problem. I'm basically shotgunning here and that's the only pellet not already on target.
I would be surprised if that was the case. I have a residential refrigerator and I run it off of the inverter going down the road. The alternator keeps the batteries charged enough to do that and I would not imagine the fan on the furnace is a bigger draw than a refrigerator compressor.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlvr1 View Post
Dumb assumption. I thought the gen had to be on to run furnace down the road. Soooo the furnace fan just draws off the coach batteries which are recharged by the alternator? I am still learning, thought I knew everything, dam it.
I did too.

Barry Boyette
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
If it does not stay lit, try cleaning the thermocouple with something like a scotch brite pad. Sometimes that will help.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote