Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Propane Gas Smell

I am relatively new to the RV'ing world, purchasing my 2010 Thor Hurricane 33T this past August. I live in the Pensacola, Florida area, and like the rest of the country, we have had some exceptionally cold weather. I winterized the unit in December, with the pink anti-freeze solution. This past Monday, I turned on the furnace, because it was supposed to go down to 15 degrees F that night. I was somewhat afraid to do this because I only had 1/3 a tank of propane left, but elected to do so. I went to shut off the furnace today, and noticed a strong propane gas smell when I entered the unit. I turned off the furnace, and then checked the propane level, which was shown as empty. There was not a gas leak before the freeze. Can cold weather do this? Is it a possibility that the pilot light stopped working because the propane ran out, and then there was some residual that came into the coach after the pilot was no longer functioning? Is there a pilot on this type of furnace? My owners manual makes no mention of a pilot, and I do not have a manual for the furnace. I had the propane tank refilled today, but shut off the gas valve until I can have this checked out. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smart to turn off the gas. If you are smelling gas there must be a leak. My furnace has an electronic ignition. So there is no pilot as such. You can check the line by making a soapy water an check for bubbles at the connections. I would get it to a service center as soon as possible.

Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
KIX

I am not saying that you do not have a leak but, as the liquid propane is near empty in the tank the odorant (ethyl mercaptan) becomes more concentrated.

To be safe you should have a pressure drop test performed.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

I also agree as the tank gets empty the smell gets stronger happens to us all the time. But if your not sure run it with the windows open to see if you get any smells.

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll third the comment on the odor getting stronger and 2nd the recommendation on having a pro check it.

HOWEVER, that said.... The furnace.. any area of the furnace which can possibly have propane in it is OUTSIDE the motor home, Thus smelling it INSIDE, Is not a good thing.

Second. There may be other issues you have yet to discover.

Third.. NO, cold should not do that .. There is one product that expands when it freezes and thus damages pipes and fittings, Of all the substances on the planet only this one does that. ALL other substances contract when they turn solid and thus will NOT damage pipes or fittings.

That substance is water.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

If you smelled propane how come your alarm didn't work ? I would check that out too......Also 1/3 on the inside meter might be mis leading , the gauge at the tank is always better.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesc View Post
run it with the windows open to see if you get any smells.
RUN NOTHING, (don't even flip a switch), until the leak is found and fixed!
(If you do you could end up with nothing).
Think BOOM!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Having lived in old time trailer parks, we'd know when the tanks were getting low by the smell. A quick check with hot water poured on the tank would confirm.

Now with propane smell inside, I would be concerned. Take it to a pro!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Every time we fill our Propane tank I can smell it (faintly) only outside for a couple hours then I don't smell it until we get it refilled again. Could it be the guy is putting to much in and it has a overflow or something like that. We have it filled at the same place same guy almost all ways, if we need to refill on the road its the same thing. I presumed it was normal. I have used the stove and oven and the furnace and never have smelt it inside of the coach plus the gauge on the dash always says Full.

tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
You're probably smelling your grey tank.

It has that same kind of rotten eggish smell as LPG. If you LPG detector isn't singing, it's not LPG unless the detector is dead.

The might notice the smell more concentrated around the shower area? And you might smell it stronger while driving, especially if you grey is pretty full.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Nope its propane, smells the strongest at the front of the MH by the tank area. My tanks (gray/blk) are probable the cleanest around, emptied and cleaned out after every trip with dawn. I drain tanks every night at a CG. I can't stand that smell.
Thank you
tb
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Nope its propane, smells the strongest at the front of the MH by the tank area. My tanks (gray/blk) are probable the cleanest around, emptied and cleaned out after every trip with dawn. I drain tanks every night at a CG. I can't stand that smell. Thank you tb
Why didn't the detector go off?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Our regulator went bad and when I went to open the door of the coach I smelled propane. I went inside and still smelled it (or so I thought). I was so attuned to the smell I really thought it was all inside the coach but no alarms were going off. I had just replaced the LP alarm a month prior to this. Finally figured out that it was the regulator outside and with our tank being right there to the left of the entrance door, the smell was really strong and I just carried it inside with me. When I replaced the regulator all was well.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why didn't the detector go off?
Because I am outside and the detector is on the inside of MH? I stated that I have never smelt it inside.
I guess I am not sure what you mean?
tb

Tags
gas, propane, smell