Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane generator

Looking at a 34' 96 Monaco, has just about all my wants, except it has a propane generator. It has a Kohler Confident 7.
Probably won't use generator much, except to run A/C when traveling in hot weather. Should this be a deal breaker?
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My brother has a 1994 34 foot Monaco with a propane genset and it has always worked fine for him. It originally had one that used liquid and but the one he has now uses vapour from the regulator.
The good thing about propane is that they won't get gummed up from lack of use, so it's probably the best choice for you if you are only rarely using it.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

I've no idea but you might go to SmokStak.com and search there.

It is now roughly 22-23 years old so my first thoughts are: How many hours on it? Are there any Maintainence records? Does it start up and run well? Is it producing reliable power (like an hour running a good size load)? Any evidence that the unit has been torn apart at some time in its life? Do you have manuals? (They maybe on line!!!!) Hours since last oil change?

In all likelihood, it will be fine. They have used large LP gensets in industrial and home standby applications for decades without major worries. LP is clean burning and will require a lot less 'high maintainence" than a typical gas or diesel. No fuel pump, fuel filters, injectors or injector pumps to wood about. No crapped up fuel, fuel lines, carb, injectors, injector pump or fouled plugs.

For safety, I'd have the entire LP system inspected and leak checked considering the RV is over 20 years old to be sure you don't have any leaks.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you don't use it much and don't mind the high amount of propane it uses then you'll probably be OK.
But I will never have another propane powered generator. We had a 6.5 and went through two 10 gallon aux tanks and most of our 40 (32 usable) onboard tank in 5 days in mid 90° weather. Being air cooled it was noisy and shut down twice due to overheating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

Hot Dog! You can generate propane!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

I have one on mine and it works great it does seem I use more fuel than say a regular gas unit but as others have said the carb want gum up on it. And we only use while traveling to run ac so we have a 40 gal tank and we can make a couple of trips to Florida and back to Georgia before we have to fill. The only other problem is the price of propane on the road and at campgrounds it’s a lot cheaper to get the gas man that fills my tank at home to fill it while he is there.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Back when we were shopping for our 97 Windsor, a diesel generator was a "must have".

You have 100 gallons of diesel and can only use 70-80% of the propane in your tank (this is because of the required safety cutoff). You also need the propane to cook and run the refrigerator.
Additionally, generators are de-rated when run on propane. The optional Onan diesel generator is 7500 watts and the propane was rated at 5500.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Vito, I wish I could have bought your 97.
I would not still be looking.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dave, it seems that they put the propane generators in the shorter Monaco's! I have a 96 Monaco Windsor 38', it has a 7K Power Tech diesel generator, and when i bought the MH it had 3000 hours and ran great. It has over 3300 hours now, and is still running like a top!
The propane/diesel generator thing was a deal breaker for me, and i passed on quite a few MH's that had the propane generators, just because of the high propane usage and having to look for propane.
I have a 100 gallon fuel tank, and love the fact that i do not have to worry about running out of propane!
I do know that sone of the Monaco's have a huge propane tank, mine included! So if this 34'r has the really big tank, it might work for you?
Only you can make that decision!
Rail!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had propane generator in previous coach. Worked fine. But between the generator and furnace when dry camping the propane tank needed to be fed often. I would not want another one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Gen same fuel as main motor. Will never have a Gen with other fuel.
We get it propane Gen, Gas Gen, diesel Gen, very helpful!

LEN
Old 01-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #12

I found this to be true with a lot of Monaco's around that era. I passed on many coaches because they had propane generators. The coach I have now has a Powertech and I couldn't be happier
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a propane generator a couple coaches ago. It worked fine but wouldn't buy another coach with a propane generator.
gas or diesel is much easier to find/fill than propane.
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
I have propane fueled generator. It works fine. I have had 3 previous motor homes with Onan gas generators and this one works as good or better than any of those. Drawbacks are tank capacity, LP availability (ease of access), and price while on the road.
I wouldn't walk away from a coach simply because of propane generator but if there were other concerns or negatives about the coach the generator would be added to the list.

Tags
generator, propane