Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for all the information.........decided on weber q2200..........will give it a try on next trip............................happy trails

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
I installed a T after the regulator on the RV. I then installed a gas valve to the T with a quick disconnect to run to the BBQ. The gas valve is used to shut off the propane to the disconnect. On the BBQ I removed the regulator and installed another quick disconnect. Purchased a gas hose and installed quick disconnects to the ends. The grill I purchased was a Weber Q. No problem with heat.
Bill
Good info to have and that the regulator at the grill was removable.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I installed a T after the regulator on the RV. I then installed a gas valve to the T with a quick disconnect to run to the BBQ. The gas valve is used to shut off the propane to the disconnect. On the BBQ I removed the regulator and installed another quick disconnect. Purchased a gas hose and installed quick disconnects to the ends. The grill I purchased was a Weber Q. No problem with heat.
Bill
I was thinking about doing something similar only before the regulator. I have a Weber Q 1200.
There is an Extend a Stay that 2 ports. One for an appliance and one for another tank connection.
Because it is before the regulator I can leave the regulator on my Weber. I an not sure what patrs I need to do quick disconnects for the hookup to the Weber on the grill and the line on the extend a stay. Any help from more savvy propane/plumbing folks out there?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #32
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I was thinking about doing something similar only before the regulator. I have a Weber Q 1200.
There is an Extend a Stay that 2 ports. One for an appliance and one for another tank connection.
Because it is before the regulator I can leave the regulator on my Weber. I an not sure what patrs I need to do quick disconnects for the hookup to the Weber on the grill and the line on the extend a stay. Any help from more savvy propane/plumbing folks out there?
I think it's safer installing after the regulator. Here's a video of the basic install,
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TR4,
Help me understand why it would be safer after the RV regulator.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
Weber Q, 1200. Small, convenient and cooks steaks, burgers, whatever you want....great!
Another vote for the Weber Q-1200 - I love that thing!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #35
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
TR4,
Help me understand why it would be safer after the RV regulator.
Thanks
Some people will install before the regulator. I read the high pressure side can have over 100 psi and felt it was safer to install on the regulated side in case of a major failure.
Bill
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Some people will install before the regulator. I read the high pressure side can have over 100 psi and felt it was safer to install on the regulated side in case of a major failure.
Bill
The pressure in any propane tank is only a function of the temperature, not size of tank. That means protecting the Weber Grill regulator from coach side propane tank pressure is no more necessary than with the small tank you normally use. Also the propane regulator on the grill is expecting full propane tank pressure (no matter what size the tank is), so won't work properly if getting low pressure regulated gas.

I use a 1 gallon propane tank with the adapter hose Weber sells for the Q grills.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
The pressure in any propane tank is only a function of the temperature, not size of tank. That means protecting the Weber Grill regulator from coach side propane tank pressure is no more necessary than with the small tank you normally use. Also the propane regulator on the grill is expecting full propane tank pressure (no matter what size the tank is), so won't work properly if getting low pressure regulated gas.

I use a 1 gallon propane tank with the adapter hose Weber sells for the Q grills.
Thanks WYRon
This was my thought also.
As I see it there are 2 options for ther Weber Q hooking up to the RV tank.
1) Leave the regulator on the Q and then place a T (or an Extend A Stay option) on the RV before the RV regulator. Then utilize the included hose from the Extend a Stay to hook up to the port on the Extend a stay and directly into the regulator on the Q. I would like to utilize quick connects on both ends of that hose (not sure what adapters would be needed or are called). This option would allow me to use the grill elsewhere using the small propane cans if I wanted without needed to put the regulator back on.
2) remove the regulator from the Q. Connect a quick disconnect where the regulator was on the Q. Place a T after the RV regulator. Utilize a quick disconnect on that T and use a hose with quick disconnects on both ends.

My preference is option 1. I am just not sure what adapters I need to convert the threaded pipe fittings to be quick disconnects. If anyone can assist with that I think I have my solution.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #38

I've used the Road Trip grill for years--a bit large to set-up at every stop and clean up isn't as easy as I would like. But with the inter-changeable grills/plates, it is a breeze for large-group meals, especially breakfast. As far as I could tell, the regulator is not removable, and we also use the "camp fire in a can" so needed hi-pressure propane port from MH. It was a bit hard to procure the parts but its doable--don't like the idea of "quick-connects" when dealing with hi-pressure propane. Prefer Acme Nut connections with internal failure protection and manual shut-off valves.....just me....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #39

Rexhall Owners Group
We have the baby Weber, Q-100 I think. It and the folding aluminum cart fit well into one of the bays. My only complaint is that it is difficult to accurately regulate the heat. My better half likes her "cow" well done. And I have a hard time turning it down enough so that there is absolutely no trace of red inside, while not burning the outside. I have learned to prop open the lid to let some of the heat out while, being better able to keep an eye on the contents. Also, I was going to work on one of those extend-a-stay hookups, but have found that I prefer the grill well away from the coach, and several of those disposable bottles lasts us the entire snowbird season if I unhook the bottle after each grilling session.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #40

Also use the Weber Q1200. I was going to plumb in a quick-connect line from the driver's side propane tank but decided against it because I didn't want to be tripping over the long hose. I tote around a 20# tank that runs the grill and fire pit.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Weber Q2000! It's a great grill. We have the folding stand too. Both fit nicely in our bay.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #42
TR4

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post

I don't remember saying anything about tank size. I was asked why I felt it was safer to install after the regulator. Both ways will work, I prefer to use the low pressure side.
Bill

Tags
class a, propane