Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Propane Leak

We recently purchased a 2008 Damon motorhome and it looks like the previous owners added an attachment for something off the main propane tank. The dealer we purchased it from filled the propane tank at purchase. We're out for our 2nd trip and had the propane tank filled. The 2nd day out out the blue the tank started spewing propane out of the hose that the previous owner had added. Once I got my chit together I turned off the main cut off. My question is can I just put a straight pipe in from the cut off to the pressure regulator to get ride of the crap the previous owner put in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane 1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	56478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	56479  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

You can straight pipe it; that is an Extend-A-Stay. Very popular, and not necessarily crap. I would just figure out what is leaking. A fitting is easy to fix. If a hose failed, then do like you're talking if you won't ever use it.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What you have is an Extend-A Stay. Its there to connect a portable tank to the coach, usally done if the permanent tank runs empty and you dont want to move to refill. Or it can feed a portable grill or other appliance. There is no need to replace it with a piece of copper, although that would be fine. You can just remove it and move the regulator back to its original location. It will screw back in, the flair fitting is exactly the same size, 3/8" flair
Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #4

Turn the propane back on, bubble soap everything down real good to see where the leak is. The best thing to do would be to disassemble everything, make sure all the "mating" surfaces are good and clean, then reassemble it all. DO NOT use any thread sealant or pipe dope. All the fittings on the extend-a-stay are brass and a "ground-joint", if you will, type fitting, and are not intended for any type of thread sealer. Thread sealers or pipe dope should never be used on flare fittings, compression, or ground joints. They're intended to meet metal on metal, and sealers will not allow the metals to seat against each other properly. Now it's good, and recommended, to use a sealer when joining/screwing pipe or fittings together (anything with the NPT pitch/angle), unless it has a washer of some sort seal, ie lavatory supply line, toilet supply, water heater supply, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

I have one and they are very handy. If it's just the hose leaking all you need to do is unscrew the hose right where that piece of plastic is hanging down attached to that piece of plastic is a plug screw it in tighten it and your in business.
Happy travels
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THat is an Extend-a-stay, it is not supposed to do that but the fix is super easy. Here is how.

First: (And I assume you already did this) Turn off main tank valve to stop flow of propane

Second: remove hose from adapter and store

Third: Just below the hose, hanging by a plastic strap, is a brass plug that screws in where the hose is now.. INSTALL it and properly tighten.

Finally: Open tank valve and check for leaks.

NOTE: you are supposed to remove the hose and install the plug if you are not using the hose to feed propane to the MH anyway..

The Extend-a-stay was made by Marshall Brass but today I do not see any related product on their web site nor do I see a support link.

I did, however, find a link you might find interesting: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...61725948,d.dmQ
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

I'm a little confused (nothing unusual there). If you are not using the extend-a-stay then where is that black hose going that is connected to it? That would be a high pressure tap to connect to an external tank. The other fitting would normally be used for a portable grill or such with it's own regulator. Normally both those fittings would be capped.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I removed the Extend a stay and put it back to normal and all is good. This is not good. We're lucky we didn't blow up. I would never use this product since it's an accident waiting to happen. Lucky we didn't have the camp fire going or boom. It wasn't just a minor leak. It was spewing gas out enough gas out the hose in the picture for my wife to hear it inside the coach with the TV on.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

No offense but you had a bad experience and now it's bad? There are MANY of those in use, with few issues reported. Was it maybe due to kinking the hose or a poor installation?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like the valve for the extend a stay was in the wrong position is all.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

Unless it's different than mine there is no external valve that you adjust there is a valve inside the hose fitting that prevents back flow that may be damaged or stuck. I've never had a problem with it but I wouldn't rely on it if I'm not using it I disconnect the hose and use the plug. It really is a pretty simple assembly. But if your not comfortable with it you made the right choice.
Keep safe
Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
I removed the Extend a stay and put it back to normal and all is good. This is not good. We're lucky we didn't blow up. I would never use this product since it's an accident waiting to happen. Lucky we didn't have the camp fire going or boom. It wasn't just a minor leak. It was spewing gas out enough gas out the hose in the picture for my wife to hear it inside the coach with the TV on.
That product is fool-proof if you know how to use it. The problem was the PO didn't remove the hose and use the pipe plug that came with the kit. It is also the dealers fault for not knowing this or dealing with it. The hose/"T" has a check valve, but it is NOT designed to be used that way for long periods and is NOT recommended for obvious safety reasons. When you remove the external tank, you remove the hose from the "T" and insert the supplied pipe plug.

I've had the ""Deluxe" model for years with the extra connection for a grill. No need for an extra tank for the grill and no need to pull up camp to go get propane for the RV tank. Much easier to take your 20-30lb bottle to get filled than the MH
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually going back and looking at the picture that is posted, it looks like the brass cap/plug is hanging down just behind the hose. It looks like a plastic strap of some sort with something on it?? But then again it could my eyes deceiving me?? Everything I've read on these hookups have all been very positive. I too would be pretty disturbed that the PO did not explain or take extra precaution about this! Yeah, very fortunate nothing seriously happened.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Unless it's different than mine there is no external valve that you adjust there is a valve inside the hose fitting that prevents back flow that may be damaged or stuck. I've never had a problem with it but I wouldn't rely on it if I'm not using it I disconnect the hose and use the plug. It really is a pretty simple assembly. But if your not comfortable with it you made the right choice. Keep safe
Just an FYI. I bought a Marshall version a couple of years ago that's identical to the one here. I noticed that when changing tanks, the check valve never completely shut off the gas. Naturally, I used the main shut off on the tank. Still I wanted clarification of what the valves were.

So I called Marshall a while back on the question of whether the check valve in the extend a stay hose was supposed to stop gas from leaking when you disconnected it from the supplemental tank. The boss there said its supposed to only be used as a check valve to momentarily be used to change from one external tank to another. The propane tank temperature and level seem to make a difference in how well the check valve sealed.

Your advice is good. Never trust just the check valve.

My motorhome sits in my barn with electric heaters and the extend a stay hooked up to several large external propane tanks. Works well for this purpose. I never drain my coach propane tank this way.

Tags
leak, propane