Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerspike View Post
So I went by a propane company today (Pinnacle Propane) and was told that I would need to go to an RV dealer and have THEM check it out. Didn't even want to look at it. I'm pretty sure I'll get the run around when I go to an RV shop.
Try Suburban Propane at 10800 I-10, Baytown, TX 77523.

At least here if Florida they do all this tank & hose work.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Try Suburban Propane at 10800 I-10, Baytown, TX 77523.

At least here if Florida they do all this tank & hose work.
That's exactly where I went. They were taken over by Pinnacle. Said they don't touch RV's.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your problem is a leak in the large remote fill hose. Some motorhome builders install the LP tank in a hard to get to location. They install two hoses from a remote fill to the tank. The large hose is the fill hose. The smaller hose is the witness hose. That is the one the lp dealer loosens and watches for propane to come out when the tank is full. You can remove the large hose and take it to a fabricator to make a new one. The hose does NOT have lp gas in it. There is a one way valve on the tank that closes after filling. NAPA makes hoses as does other car parts dealers. If you can't find it at a car parts dealer look in the web for hose mfg stores. We were a Fleetwood dealer and the older Discovery motorhomes with LP generators used a second remote fill tank between the frame rails. I have repaired a few hoses on these motorhomes. It is not a big deal. You might be able to buy the hose from the motorhome mfg. but it will cost three times more from them.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #32

Those fittings look like 37 deg. JIC fittings, common on lower pressure hydraulic systems, but I don't know if LPG systems use a different but similar looking fitting. If you go to an hydraulics shop for a replacement hose, they should be able to test it for leaks with air. But do be aware that most hydraulic hose is NOT compatible with LPG. There are plenty of choices that are compatible, but the common EPDM and synthetic rubber types are not, or marginally so at best.

I believe Nitrile is the most common liner material, and o-ring and seal material for that matter, for fuel gas systems, and 350 psi pressure rating seems to be the standard for liquid LPG handling.

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/propane-hose-hpd

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/lp-gas-propane-hose

That's assuming it's the hose that's bad, of course.

Oh, and if you have a replacement hose made, be sure they clean it thoroughly. Most shops cut hose with an abrasive wheel, and that puts a lot of junk inside the hose which has to be cleaned before use.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Those fittings look like 37 deg. JIC fittings, common on lower pressure hydraulic systems, but I don't know if LPG systems use a different but similar looking fitting. If you go to an hydraulics shop for a replacement hose, they should be able to test it for leaks with air. But do be aware that most hydraulic hose is NOT compatible with LPG. There are plenty of choices that are compatible, but the common EPDM and synthetic rubber types are not, or marginally so at best.

I believe Nitrile is the most common liner material, and o-ring and seal material for that matter, for fuel gas systems, and 350 psi pressure rating seems to be the standard for liquid LPG handling.

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/propane-hose-hpd

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/lp-gas-propane-hose

That's assuming it's the hose that's bad, of course.

Oh, and if you have a replacement hose made, be sure they clean it thoroughly. Most shops cut hose with an abrasive wheel, and that puts a lot of junk inside the hose which has to be cleaned before use.

I got the large hose off, and the fitting as well just in case. I called NAPA, they said they don't do Propane hoses but directed me to a hydraulic company that does.

Getting closer.

I'm headed there now and hopefully will find out if the hose indeed has a leak, or the fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_105340.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	974.2 KB
ID:	223869  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #34

I would have suggested that you re-use the fittings but with the rust on them, you may as well get new ones.

You hold the outer shell, unscrew the inner core and the reverse unscrew the shell from the hose.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its a standard hydraulic hose. Take it anywhere that does hydraulic hoses and tell them its for your backhoe.

ParkerStores are in just about every town in the US..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #36

Alright guys,

Everything is all good now.

The hydraulic place told me no, they don't do Propane hoses but referred me to a specialty gas company that did.

"Green's Blueflame" in Northwest Houston.

I decided to take the RV there, as I figured if it wasn't the hose, maybe they could tell me what it was.

I arrived, they tested the hose, sure enough it had a leak at the bend. They built me a complete new same size replacement (350lb psi) for it, and I put it on in their lot.

We started filling up, no leaks! The auto shut off kicked in.

The hose itself didn't "look" like it had a leak but I guess it did.

Too bad to replace it, I kept getting runarounds and then finally had to make a near hour drive from where I was.

If anyone else ever has this problem in the Houston area, Green's Blueflame is the place I know you can go.

Thanks guys for all your help at pointing me in the right direction!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Its a standard hydraulic hose. Take it anywhere that does hydraulic hoses and tell them its for your backhoe.

ParkerStores are in just about every town in the US..
It had already been disclosed by KanzKran (Post #32) that a hose for propane is made of a different material than a straight hydraulic hose. Your suggestion to lie and say it's for a backhoe, unless propane powered, could have been dangerous, even deadly. I know advice on the internet is only worth what you paid for, but advice like this is not in the best interest of what I think iRV2 stands for.

Luckily the OP did get the hose replaced and checked at a proper propane provider, I'm sure he and his family will sleep better - and safer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent .. You might consider replacing the vent hose in the future. HOWEVER - I suspect this hose is under pressure so the tank would probably need to be empty with no pressure prior to removing it..

Glad to hear you got it fixed..
Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Your suggestion to lie and say it's for a backhoe, unless propane powered, could have been dangerous, even deadly.
Thank you for the reality check.

When addressing issues in this forum, I often make recommendations to a path that I might follow given a particular problem. Although these paths may be acceptable to me, they could be inappropriate and even dangerous to someone that doesn't have the same skill set, knowledge, or experience that I have.

I'll be more careful with my recommendations in the future. Again, Thank you for the reality check.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Excellent .. You might consider replacing the vent hose in the future. HOWEVER - I suspect this hose is under pressure so the tank would probably need to be empty with no pressure prior to removing it..

Glad to hear you got it fixed..
Replacing the smaller bleeder hose, which is holding tank pressure all of the time, would only entail closing the other bleeder valve on the tank itself. You can see it in the picture.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was looking at the vent valve. Mine looks similar, but I don't have the hose. When I fill my tank, I loosen that valve and it blows out the center hole.

I'm not sure if the fitting under the vent is part of the vent valve or just a "T".

One way to verify, close the valve and loosen the hose fitting a little and see what happens.

Obviously don't have any open flames or ignition sources that could catch fire while doing this.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Excellent .. You might consider replacing the vent hose in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Replacing the smaller bleeder hose, which is holding tank pressure all of the time, would only entail closing the other bleeder valve on the tank itself. You can see it in the picture.
There's another bleeder valve at the end of that small hose? I would definitely replace that hose right away, and close the bleeder valve at the tank until the hose is replaced, or the next fill, whichever comes first. But I wouldn't leave tank pressure on that hose, which looks as weathered as the fill hose looks. Whatever deterioration was at work on the big hose is also at work on the bleeder hose. A leak could be catastrophic.

Out of curiosity, who manufactured the new hose (Parker, Aeroquip, etc.), and what's the part or spec number? I'm personally also curious as to the make and spec number of the old hose, though it may be too weathered to get any into off of. All of that might be useful to others contemplating LPG hose replacement who come across this in the future.

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this problem and got it solved.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane