Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #43

To each their own I say. Myself, I prefer charcoal (weber). I've never noticed the lighter fluid probs. I do like to add mesquite, pecan or hickory though in big pieces. I use it as indirect heat and never could get the knack with pas grills. Reminder to self: buy more oven gloves. Mine are now worn out. I do have to be mindful of my neighbors with the smoke. The weber is an easy clean up. Plus I love adding large onions to the fire base which I use first to clean the grill off with.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I connected to a port on pass. side behind water heater - a couple fittings and good to go.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #45

I was all set to order the Traeger pellet feed for our home, but yesterday my kids surprised me with a Primo Ceramic lined Smoker/Grill complete with the table and most accessories. It's a completely automatic charcoal grill with temp control and things I haven't figured out yet. My son has one and did a brisket. It cooked for 14 hours, didn't even use up all the charcoal, and was a perfect "cut it with the side of the fork" tender. Looking forward to some great meals. We'll both probably gain 30#'s by the time we're done.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
I carry a Volcano combination grill with me in the coach, uses charcoal, wood or propane in bottles. I use lump charcoal probably 80 percent of the time and propane only when in a real hurry. It also make a nice little fire pit for a small cozy fire. Also with the kevlar cover I can make it act like a smoker, additionally when I finish grilling I can just cover the Volcano and not have to wait for it to go out.

I have not used charcoal lighter in years and consider the self-lighting charcoal to be even worse than the fluid as for as imparting terrible taste in food. Two twisted paper towels lightly soaked with plain cooking oil will start any charcoal efficiently and without any odor or taste. I usually use my chimney starter and the paper towels do not create the ash that newspaper does.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #47

With the drought in the West I find that charcoal grilling is not possible at least until the typical NW rains start again. I need to find a propane grill that is compact and lightweight. In looking into propane I may opt to install a second propane outlet ahead of the coach regulator the drivers side in the propane tank access compartment and get a longer hose to be able to use a grill and or other propane appliances on the passenger side . If I get a gas grill I may just use the 2 1/2 gallon propane tank that I carry in a vented compartment.

For smoke I have recently acquired a smoke generator made by Smoke House who now also make and market Little Chief smokers (used to be made Luhr Jenson) in Hood River Oregon. It is awesome but a little spending.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a Weber gas grill fueled by a spare 20lb tank. Also use a propane Coleman stove for the extras. We'd much rather cook everything outside
eprman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane