Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

propane question

I am getting ready to take my rv on my first "weekend" trial trip before we head out west later in the summer. My 1999 winnebago adventurere owners manual gives me instructions on how to start my furnace. Do I have to turn off the gas valve every time we leave somewhere and get on the road? If so, then I assume I have to go through that routine each time I need heat? so will the regular engine heater be the only way to warm the rv going down the road? Also, says the engine will heat the water going down the road, will it heat the 6 gallons in the hot water heater or more or less? thanks you so much

ps what does sticky mean before some of the posts?
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If your refrigerator runs on propane you will need to leave the gas on. You should not need to turn off the gas unless you are fueling, on a ferry boat, or refilling the propane tank as far as I know. Have fun.

"Sticky" threads are "stuck" to the top of the list.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't have to turn the LP tank off when you travel. If you leave it on and you have a LP/electric refrigerator, it will operate on propane if set to do so. You can also use the furnace when you travel. I don't because the dash heat does a good job for me.
The engine heat is piped through your water heater so you have 6 gals. available while you travel without using propane
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Our Itasca Suncruiser (sister to the Adventurer) also has a remote heat source from the engine that has outlets undet the bed in the rear. It has a switch to turn this off, or low or high heat. If you have and use it, be sure the heat outlet vents are not covered by blanket overhang or something similar. Our furnace has not worked in years, but this remote heat has been more than enough most of the time. We also carry a couple of cube heaters for colder days. We also run the genny when we travel for A/C or cube heaters, if needed, and for the fridges and medical equipment for our kids.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

The Motoraid will heat the 6-gallons of water but it may or may not be as hot as it would be if you were using the normal electric or gas mode. It's a neat feature as you have hot water to wash your hands at any time, etc.

A "sticky" thread is one that continually stays at the top of the forum ...opposed to a regular thread like this one which will only stay towards the top if new posts are added to it. A moderator designates a sticky thread when they think it's something important to keep at the top of the forum.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
The Motoraid will heat the 6-gallons of water but it may or may not be as hot as it would be if you were using the normal electric or gas mode. It's a neat feature as you have hot water to wash your hands at any time, etc.
On ours the water gets to the same temp as the engine coolant at 180°+. After we stop we have to be careful not to get scalded for a couple of hours. The dealer accidentally ordered it and I didn't find it till too late to cancel, now that we've lived with it for 11 years I'm glad I didn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You should not need to turn off the gas unless you are fueling, on a ferry boat, or refilling the propane tank as far as I know.
You don't have to turn off the propane when fueling either. However, you DO have to turn off any propane appliances to prevent them from sparking (DSI appliances) or operating their pilot lights. It is sparks and open flames you have to prevent while fueling, not propane itself.

You may be required to turn off the propane tank itself in some tunnels.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You don't have to turn off the propane when fueling either. However, you DO have to turn off any propane appliances to prevent them from sparking (DSI appliances) or operating their pilot lights. It is sparks and open flames you have to prevent while fueling, not propane itself.

You may be required to turn off the propane tank itself in some tunnels.
Thanks for the clarification. Our Dometic refrigerator has the Temporary Gas Lockout, so that when the fridge is set to "auto", the gas operation is automatically locked out for 15 minutes when the engine is switched off. This will prevent gas operation e.g. when stopping at a refueling station. We always travel with the water heater off, too.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If your refrigerator runs on propane you will need to leave the gas on. You should not need to turn off the gas unless you are fueling, on a ferry boat, or refilling the propane tank as far as I know. Have fun.

"Sticky" threads are "stuck" to the top of the list.
Plus some tunnels, ie, Chesapeake Bridge Bay Tunnel you must turn off the propane at the tank...check your route to make sure you are in compliance. Some tunnels have a pull over to allow you to turn off your propane tank.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane