Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Propane regulator

I have gone through 2 propane regulators in the past month, and today my new one just started leaking through the vent hole, the same as the one last month. These regulators are manufactured by Camco. The problem seems to happen when I disconnect my extended stay tank and put my motorhome tank on line to get ready to go for a trip. Can anyone tell me why these regulators keep failing? It's getting expensive and frustrating. Thanks.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

The only reason I can think of is because they are cheap junk. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything that could be causing them to fail.

I assume you are not connecting in such a way as to put high pressure on the low pressure side of the regulator. I'm not sure that would rupture the diaphragm anyway but it probably would.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

Perhaps try a made in the US model, maybe https://smile.amazon.com/Marshall-Ex.../dp/B00KTS0N9Q I bought one a few months ago to replace an old leaking regulator and it is working great.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nope. The regulator is installed properly and all I'm doing is removing the pressure from the outside tank and valving in the motorhome tank. Then the regulator clicks and starts leaking propane from the vent hole in the regulator.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wonder if there is a low point oil is gathering while on the extended stay. Then when you unhook and turn on the built in tank it's ramming that oil into the regulator causing the fail.

LEN
Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Did you get the replacement regulators from the same source? Maybe a bad lot?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

One of the tanks is perhaps pushing liquid LP or oils into the regulator, which will kill the gas flow quickly. Do you use a Tee fitting (Extend-a-stay or similar), or are you physically screwing the extension hose into the regulator? What about the hose itself, e.g. does it have a low spot that can accumulate oils of liquid LP and then it runs into the regulator when you change over?

Sometimes a bottle or tank gets contaminated with mercaptan (the stinky stuff in LP) or globules of water & oil that can clog a regulator in no time. It's more common in portable bottles than fixed tanks, but possible in either.

There is such a thing as a filter for LP gas lines. Maybe you need one (but that is rare).
Gas Filters and Filter Mats
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Wonder if there is a low point oil is gathering while on the extended stay. Then when you unhook and turn on the built in tank it's ramming that oil into the regulator causing the fail.

LEN
I have seen a lot of oil. This could be the problem. What do I need to do to solve the problem?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Did you get the replacement regulators from the same source? Maybe a bad lot?
Yes, I did.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Perhaps try a made in the US model, maybe https://smile.amazon.com/Marshall-Ex.../dp/B00KTS0N9Q I bought one a few months ago to replace an old leaking regulator and it is working great.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
One of the tanks is perhaps pushing liquid LP or oils into the regulator, which will kill the gas flow quickly. Do you use a Tee fitting (Extend-a-stay or similar), or are you physically screwing the extension hose into the regulator? What about the hose itself, e.g. does it have a low spot that can accumulate oils of liquid LP and then it runs into the regulator when you change over?

Sometimes a bottle or tank gets contaminated with mercaptan (the stinky stuff in LP) or globules of water & oil that can clog a regulator in no time. It's more common in portable bottles than fixed tanks, but possible in either.

There is such a thing as a filter for LP gas lines. Maybe you need one (but that is rare).
Gas Filters and Filter Mats
Along these same lines as Gary mentioned, there may be an oil blockage or contamination issue going on. Here's a link that may get you going in the right direction to troubleshoot:
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. It looks like I may need to regulate my extended stay tank to 15 psi before my TV regulator.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricere View Post
Thanks. It looks like I may need to regulate my extended stay tank to 15 psi before my TV regulator.
RV regulator.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It looks like I may need to regulate my extended stay tank to 15 psi before my TV regulator.
Why? There is no requirement for that anywhere. The unregulated pressure from either fixed tank or portable bottle is about the same and the onboard regulator is designed to handle either.

If you are seeing any fluid dripping, either from the regulator or a detached hose, that is your problem. Whichever tank is pushing the oil into the lines needs to be emptied and cleaned. If it's the portable bottle, probably cheaper to repalce it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane