Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Propane tank

Trying to fill our propane tank and gas will not go in.
Anyone have that problem? What was the verdict?
Dannyandkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
via forum member "wa8yxm"

There are 3 common reasons why a propane tank will not fill.

First "I know it's empty because I have no hot water".. Bad logic, I had no hot water on propane with a tank I knew for a fact was full cause the furnace worked.. Had to replace the control electronics (182 bucks) on the blasted thing.

Second: On motor homes, I, and others, have had the emergency cut off on the propane station's pump tripped, Happened to me twice, once mid fill (That was last week by the way).

3: Stuck Over Fill Protection valve.. This is more common on portable tanks, And it sometimes responds to a bounce.

If the tank is on a motor home.. The Visual Liquid Level Overfill Indicator Valve should be opened. If it spits WHITE (liquid propane comes out and turns to gas at about -40 slightly rounded) then the tank is full,, If it spits clear, tank not full.

Portable tanks have a valve like that too but you can scale them and see if they are full without venting gas.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

I had this problem on my Bounder last year. There is a 12v solenoid on the tank at its inlet and its fuse was blown. With no power applied, this solenoid will prevent gas going in or out.

Ed
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
I had this problem on my Bounder last year. There is a 12v solenoid on the tank at its inlet and its fuse was blown. With no power applied, this solenoid will prevent gas going in or out.

Ed
Most all propane tanks I have seen have the shut off solenoid valve after the regulator on the RV supply line........not on the tank fill? There is always a first..........
To the OP: If your tank internal pressure is a lot higher than the tank that is supplying the propane.......won't go. Needs to be equal or lower. Open your "spitter" on the tank and bleed the pressure down a bit. This is the only thing I can think of......
Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Actually one of the most common reason for not being able to fill a propane tank is an incorrect adaptor on the fill hose. There are at least 3 different style adaptors I am aware of. All of them have a different style probe that pushes against and opens a check valve in the fill port. The adaptors have different length and different shape probes.

We had trouble filling our tank last year at a campground. Close inspection revealed they didn't have an adaptor with a long enough probe to reach and open the check valve.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #6

Welcome.

Propane "tank?"

An ASME tank is on a MH of motor vehicle, is fixed, and does not come out. They are filled one way.

A DOT LP cylinder is portable, and on fifth wheels and bumper pull trailers. They are filled another way.

Then you have universal cylinders, or forklift cylinders. They are usually filled like an ASME tank, but can be a third way.

SOOOO what do you have?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

fixed horizontal with fill valve in front of bay onoff solenoid switch to the left of bay. we have used off this tank with no problems for two years. upon attempting to refill tank it leaks somewhere after the fill valve and before the tank by visual observance
Dannyandkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

So you have a remote fill? That's what it sounds like. Seems like if it's leaking between point A and D, someone needs to check B and C.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You don't say what your driving so not sure if yours is newer, same or older
On my 82 PA the places I have stopped at couldn't get it on the filler nozzle on the tank.
Horizontal tank.
So I know of 2 places that can get it filled and that is by going under the side of the MH and then attach their end to the tank and it takes some maneuvering too.
I have been in search of something that will work and found this and am hoping this will solve the problem. Otherwise I might just have to replace the tank.
70 bucks alot cheaper than a new tank.Around $3-$400.00 bucks.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank