Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Propane Tank and Y adapters

Was chatting with some 5th Wheelers and they all used a Y adapter to allow gas grills and such outside using the RV's main tank.

I have a Tiffin 32BA, with a 25 gal tank. The tank has a regulator that runs the gas to the furnace and stoves. I was thinking it would be nice to have a line outside with a Y. How do you all do that and keep the gas in the BBQ line from leaking out when not being used while the furnace is running for example??

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

A lot of people use one of these... or one like it.

Sturgi-Stay Propane Adapter Kits - PPL Motor Homes

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hose connections??

So looking at the above....disconnect the House Bus line from Tank, insert the T, connect the House Bus line back up the T. Connect the 12' hose.

When the 12' hose isn't connect to the BBQ, what keep the propane from coming out of the tank through the hose? Do I need another Diet Dr. Pepper to visualize this?? LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

I don't have one, but I believe there is a one-way check valve. Just passing on what I have read, and they seem to work.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, thanks for the info. Will have to check it out!!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr750nm View Post

So looking at the above....disconnect the House Bus line from Tank, insert the T, connect the House Bus line back up the T. Connect the 12' hose.

When the 12' hose isn't connect to the BBQ, what keep the propane from coming out of the tank through the hose? Do I need another Diet Dr. Pepper to visualize this?? LOL
On gas connections like this, each threaded connector point has sort of a built-in check valve. When you disconnect, as you unthread you'll here a hissing start, then abruptly stop as the check seal seats. Same on the connect.

I have an Extend-a-Stay on my coach (what you pictured above). Works great! The tee has a 3/4" connection that allows connection to a grill or some other appliance, and also a smaller (1/4"? 3/8"?) to allow you to feed your coach from a smaller aux tank. Well worth it.

Install the tee on your coach bulk tank between the shutoff valve and the regulator. This will extend the position of the regulator, so the plastic dust/dirt cover may no longer mount. Just hold it in position with Velcro or tie-wraps.

Also, buy an extra 12 ft hose.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I don't have one, but I believe there is a one-way check valve. Just passing on what I have read, and they seem to work.
The piece in the picture that sticks straight up has a threaded cap that you put on when not in use. Mine has no check valve...it's the cap that closes off that output from the T.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a Y adapter used that way, but I have seen a special T,

Back in my luggable tank trailer days I had the Marshall Brass "Extend-a-flow" I do not know if MB is still making it but someone is making one like it.

This was back before ACME connectors so it was all POL or QD, but it had a POL male fitting that screwed into the tank, and a FEMALE POL the tank hose (Tank to regulator) screwed into.

And a QUICK disconnect, basically this looks like the top end of a disposable Propane tank (The little 1 pound jobs)

ANd a hose that mated with it and had the same QD connector on it's other end.

When you disconnected either the grill regulator from the hose, or the hose from the "T" the valve in the QD closed, Just like a valve in a tire stem, and there was no leakage.

Now with my Class A I have the Extend-a-stay.. All the above plus an "INLET" check valve protected in my case.... I'm not sure the new ones still have that check valve on the inlet.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, great info!

Going to head out this weekend. Perhaps will swing by Camping World or a Propane store and check things out.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #10

I just bought one from Amazon. $79.80 for the Deluxe model, no tax & free shipping.
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Prices on RV parts!!

Has anyone else noticed that if the part is for and RV the price seems to double or triple?

28" Windshield wipers...$72 a set? Are they nuts? I just drilled out a set of Goodyears and they seem to fit and work fine...$16 investment.

A propane gas T, seems pricey from Amazon. Unless you can't get it anywhere else...but I also know we pay for convenience.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It could be worse. You could price a marine version.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr750nm View Post
Has anyone else noticed that if the part is for and RV the price seems to double or triple?
A propane gas T, seems pricey from Amazon. Unless you can't get it anywhere else...but I also know we pay for convenience.
Its a kit. Assembled for sale by a profit-making company. Someone has to pay for the machining. Someone has to pay for the manufacturer's product liability. Also keep in mind its not a simple tee- it has two different sized ports- with check seals- that flow in different directions, in addition to the pass through.

If you think its all too expensive, then by all means cobble something up with stuff from Home Depot. Its only explosive gas.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Its a kit. Assembled for sale by a profit-making company. Someone has to pay for the machining. Someone has to pay for the manufacturer's product liability. Also keep in mind its not a simple tee- it has two different sized ports- with check seals- that flow in different directions, in addition to the pass through.

If you think its all too expensive, then by all means cobble something up with stuff from Home Depot. Its only explosive gas.
Check out a local plumbing supply store. The T connector and hose (length can vary) can be purchased separately. I did that and saved better than half. Call it RV and the price does go up. When you are done, always check for leaks with soapy water!

Be safe
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, propane, tank