Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane Tank Expiration ?

Now on my 3rd motorhome it has occurred to me that I've never thought about propane tank expiration. I know with our gas grill tank there is a date on them. It is generally about 10 or 12 years.

Does anyone know about MH tanks ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Now on my 3rd motorhome it has occurred to me that I've never thought about propane tank expiration. I know with our gas grill tank there is a date on them. It is generally about 10 or 12 years.
Does anyone know about MH tanks ?
LSC9901
Portable propane bottles/tanks need periodic inspection and re-certification
Mounted/permanently attached MH propane tanks do not.
Google "LP tank inspection".
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YIKES !!!! I Googled what you said and this is what I came up with ???

Do Propane Tanks On RVs Need To Be Recertified After A Certain Amount Of Time?

Upon further searching I did find the following:

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

They are different. I know when I had my 73 Winnie that the tanks were not affected when the new style valve became law. Even though the tanks were almost 40 years old, I was still able to get them refilled.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Getting these inspected is news to me. On our MH, the tank is mid-belly, underneath. There is a remote connection under a small door on the street side, and that is all any propane company has ever looked for. Nobody has ever stopped and slid on the ground underneath the chassis to look for a date stamp before filling my tank.

If it is required, and nobody is enforcing it, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Getting these inspected is news to me. On our MH, the tank is mid-belly, underneath. There is a remote connection under a small door on the street side, and that is all any propane company has ever looked for. Nobody has ever stopped and slid on the ground underneath the chassis to look for a date stamp before filling my tank.

If it is required, and nobody is enforcing it, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

\ken
Depends on whether you are talking about a "fill in place" ASME PROPANE TANK or a removable/portable DOT PROPANE CYLINDER.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Well ... that's what I thought. Until I read the link in Post#3. Led me to believe that all tanks should be inspected. And that includes direct-connect, permanent tanks. And that is what I am surprised to hear. \ken

PS. I see there's an update now regarding ASME tanks, though, in the YouTube vid. That video makes more sense to me.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Well ... that's what I thought. Until I read the link in Post#3. Led me to believe that all tanks should be inspected. And that includes direct-connect, permanent tanks. And that is what I am surprised to hear. \ken

PS. I see there's an update now regarding ASME tanks, though, in the YouTube vid. That video makes more sense to me.
If you listened closely to the narrative he said "We need to inspect them regularly". Since he didn't mention any authority governing an inspection, nor did he recommend any type of service facility that should be making the inspection I believe he was referring to "we" as the owners.

He mentioned taking a flashlight and inspecting for dings, dents, gouges, or any other obvious damage. A line of text rolling across the screen also advised a "Professional Inspection" for cases of severe rust.

I believe the recommended regular inspection was to be done by the owners and is intended as precautionary maintenance. It is intended to be solely for the safety and peace of mind for the owner and not required by any government entity.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Depends on whether you are talking about a "fill in place" ASME PROPANE TANK or a removable/portable DOT PROPANE CYLINDER.
Correct.
The difference is:
The ASME PROPANE TANKS used on MHs, SHOULD be inspected, (but need NO re-certification).
DOT PROPANE CYLINDERS, (the tanks/bottles used on travel trailers, 5ers, BBQ grills, etc), MUST be inspected and re-certified periodically.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #10

Propane DOT cylinder inspection and re-certification. Propane ASME tanks have no re-certification requirement. The following is from Propane Questions

Propane Inspection

by Frank (Nanaimo B.C.)
Question: Do I need a propane inspection in order to sell my RV privately?

Answer: First, there is a differences between a DOT propane cylinder and an ASME horizontally mounted propane tank.

The DOT cylinder is removable and is subject to recertification 12 years after the manufactured date. DOT cylinders are portable and removable from the RV. When empty, you take them to a refilling station. DOT cylinders are found in travel trailers, 5th wheels, and backyard gas grills. With a DOT cylinder, you have the choice to recertify it (if you can find a recertification facility, which are not easy to find), or just replace it before the expiration date.

ASME tanks on the other hand, are permanently mounted horizontal tanks found in most motorhomes. To refill them you must take the motorhome to a propane filling station. The ASME tanks do not require recertification. They should still be inspected periodically for rust and dents. Eventually they may need to be replaced.

The general recommendation is that once a year you should have the entire propane system inspected for leaks, rust, and proper regulator pressure settings. The inspection should include all propane-powered appliances like a stove, refrigerator, furnace, hot water heater, and propane powered generator, etc. .

In selling your RV, we aren’t aware of any official requirement to have an inspection aside from what is stated above. In our view, both buyers and sellers should take steps to ensure that the propane system is in good condition and operating safely. In unsure, then call in a qualified professional to do an inspection, and definitely look at the expiration date on DOT tanks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane tanks come in two types.
Those were you can remove them and cart them to the refill station

Those that are BOLTED firmly to the frame of the Motor home so you either drive the house to the propane, or the propane (Delivery truck) to the house..

The first type have an exprination date, I think it is 12 years from original date of manufacture, then they need to be re-inspected and ever decade after that but this may be a bit too simple to get them re-certified you may need a Propane Wholesale place such as Parkers Prpane in Flint MI or Branches here in the Darien/Townsend GA area.

Bolted in place tanks (Class A motor homes typically have this) do not hae an expiery date the pump jockey does a visual inspection and if he sees Serious "Issues" he may refuse to re-fill (Very heavy rust, Discolored Brass to name but two) if he sees minor issues (Light rust) he may just call your attention to it.

I do know what discolors brass, but If you have that problem, the pump jockey might just do more than refuse to refill. (Like buzz the fuzz). but that has to do with why it is discolored, and what color it is.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
One issue that hasn't been brought up and I wish I knew more exact information on it is about horizontal mounted propane cylinders. On my 5th. wheel, my tanks (30 lbs) were mounted horizonatally but not permanently mounted and were not subject to re-certification. I guess looking back they must have been ASME tanks. I bought my 5er in 1990 and sold it 2012, not once did I ever have an issue about removing them and taking them to a fill station. I was told way back then that since they were horizontal cylinders they did not have to be re-certified. Obviously there was something stamped on the cylinder to advise the fill station employee of this. Apparently has something to do with the valve??? and internal piping (I don't know).
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

It makes good sense to visually inspect your propane tank on a regular basis, remove any dirt or grunge, check for rust, etc. Last year are smelled what I thought was sewer but turned out to be a leaking regulator. To my knowledge there is not mandatory inspections or recerts required for mh propane tanks.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
PHMSA - Cylinders - Overfilling Prevention Device (OPD) FAQ
Mine. in 2000 was made with a internal shut off fill......80%. No inspection required.

Tags
propane, tank