Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Spending Christmas & New Year in Congress Arizona. Next Quartsite and/or Yuma
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Update NFPA 58

Ok I contacted the Propane Tank Manufacturer, mine is Manchester Tank in Elkhart Indiana. The governing document is the "National Fire Protection Association 58".
I have provided a link below to download a free copy of the 104 page document.
Papa Jim, During my conversation with Manchester Tank, I was asked if I am going to OR planning a trip to Canada in my RV, If so ensure I have my "OVER TEN YEAR OLD ASME TANK" Re-Certified prior to my trip and keep the paperwork handy.

NFPA 58www.nfpa.org/.../58/58-98-PDF.pdfNational Fire Protection Association

Thank You All So Much For The Help, The Links provided will be used to educate those in the future who are confused with portable and installed tanks. ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Thank You All So Much For The Help, The Links provided will be used to educate those in the future who are confused with portable and installed tanks. ...
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

ASME Tank. DOT Cylinder.

But good to know about Canadian regulations.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Papa Jim, During my conversation with Manchester Tank, I was asked if I am going to OR planning a trip to Canada in my RV, If so ensure I have my "OVER TEN YEAR OLD ASME TANK" Re-Certified prior to my trip and keep the paperwork handy.
Wow! It gets muddier and muddier. Of course, everyone knows that the colder air in Canada is much thinner, so that allows a propane tank to explode easier!

What!

The bottom line. Do we have an official document that we can print to show to these 'yahoos' that think they are knowledgeable enough to condemn our ASME tanks?

I have given this a lot of thought, because our propane tank is almost 20 years old. It's beginning to look old and rusty. Maybe I should pull it out of the coach and 'recondition' it with a bit of paint.

I haven't had any problems with it, except for a 'knowledgeable' young fella that overfilled the tank and caused the main propane regulator to blow apart the first time I opened the tank valve!

Thanks.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
While there is certainly no harm in having documentation to prove that re-certification isn't required, I have to believe that this was most likely an isolated event with someone who didn't really know the rules and differences between tanks. As for going to Canada... The ASME tanks up here don't require re-certification. That I got straight from the RV Technician Program Instructor Head at Okanagan College. This is a a technical college that trains Certified RV technicians and includes all the why's and whats of propane tanks, pressure testing, adjustments and repairs to propane systems. That is unless something significantly has changed in the last 3 years.

People who fill the tanks are required to give them a visual inspection to look for any issues that might relate to safety (corrosion and so on) but not once have I heard anyone tell of having issues with getting their ASME tank filled or being told it needed to be re certified.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post

I have given this a lot of thought, because our propane tank is almost 20 years old. It's beginning to look old and rusty. Maybe I should pull it out of the coach and 'recondition' it with a bit of paint.

I haven't had any problems with it, except for a 'knowledgeable' young fella that overfilled the tank and caused the main propane regulator to blow apart the first time I opened the tank valve!

Thanks.

Jim
It took me a week to re-paint our tank what with the drying times and all since I used an acid etch to convert the remaining rust to something black, then primer, then paint.

As far as filling, I'm usually asking the technician to open the outage valve some more so that I can hear the escaping gas so that I can confirm for myself that the tank is filled only to the 80% line. Liquid propane expands and contracts a lot with temperature changes and it ain't the contraction I'm worried about.

Tags
propane, tank