Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I fill mine at one of the local lp distributors. Last week they were $2.75 per gallon. Rv dealer right next door was $3.99 per gallon Guess which one I went to. Topped of tank before leaving on a short trip. Only needed 10 gallons. Like the folks above said it is pretty easy to get lp for your rv.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
bdickson - I will look into the 'Extend a Stay'.

Thanks

I wonder, could you use this to fill the on board propane? I other words, would I be able to empty the portable tank into my on board tank as to avoid having to drive and fill it?

Sorry for bumping such an old thread.
ScotchJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nope, you need high pressure to fill on board tank, extend a stay flows to on board regulator, will not back fill!
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
You could get an Extend a Stay installed and use an external bottle which could be taken for filling without moving the motor home.
bdickson,Were did you find the extend a stay.We have found our self having to stay (for medical) in a cold area this winter.i have a portable 100lbs tank and can move it a lot easier than the motor home.We use the heat pumps during day when above 35 but at night it has been 20 so switch to LP.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
With the aps available for dump stations and campgrounds, I am surprised there isn't one for places to get propane with pricing.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two methods depending on where you are and one other thing.

Normally: I know where my propane tank is (Just under the kitchen sink) so I know how far to pull up when I pull up by the propane cage, Only once have I ever had to adjust the position of the RV.

Currently: that is not possible.. So i contacted the local RV wholesale/retail place.. I told 'em where I was parked and why I'd not be pulling the rig into their lot (Blown engine), they said "OK, next time the truck goes that way".

Well, a couple Fridays ago while I was 60 miles away at a medical clinic (I am part lab rat don't you know,,, in the 4-legged sense not the lab technician sense though I have a bit of training there too). the truck came by, topped off the tank and left a bill on the picnic table.. Friend found it and I paid it the following Monday.

I think I'm good since I use mostly electric everything here and the propane is for emergency (power fail) use only. And since arriving in June we have had a few short lived power fails already.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
In the SW many CGs have truck that come through once or twice a week. You just put a sign in your windshield or sign up and they stop and fill.

LEN
Old 11-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
The larger U-Haul stores have propane and they give discount for over 10 gallons...Best price in my area
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Last week I noticed an RV refilling propane at Costco.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #24

All Camping World superstores sell LP, they fill DOT cylinders and MH ASME permanent tanks. The only downside, you'll likely have to unhook the towed to get to the fill site and back out again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
KOAs and other RV campgrounds usually have propane and are set up for RVs. They can be pricey, although I have also found some to be very competitive. Call ahead for info
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
The cheapest I have found are the trucks that refill home tanks. Twice I have found a L P truck at a gas station. One was getting gas, the other was getting a Coke. I asked both for a fill and they both filled my tank.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
bdickson - I will look into the 'Extend a Stay'.

Thanks
The Extend-a-stay was made by Marshall Brass (Key word WAS)

Today look for the Stay-A-While by Mr, Heater or check out Camco's offering, both of those appear to be identical products.

On the road I normally get Propane at Flying-J, but there are other options.

In Flint, MI. there is a propane wholesale firm, Parkers. Best price in the area.

In Teknosha, MI at 3635 14 mile road is Carmichael's Propane, this place can be a tad hard to find if you do not know how to get there but.. Well, as they say, "With my eyes closed" (ok DO NOT DRIVE with eyes closed) I know the address well (used to be mine when it was a dairy farm instead of a tank farm).

In South Carolina I'm likely to go to ACE Hardware (the tank farm in Seneca is way over priced)

Normally, campground Propane is high priced, but not always.

Where I'm stuck with a blown engine.. The local propane supplier stopped in on his way to another customer(s) and topped me off, reasonable price, about 3.00/gallon.

Some areas they are not allowed to do that.

Someone in another thread ask about pulling up to the pump.

KNOW where your tank is (The compartment can not be locked) Pull up to the propane cage far enough away that both compartment and gate can be opened but try to line the compartment up with the gate.. Very easy on my cocah. Way easier than lining up on a gasoline pump (OK, so I fixed that problem).
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
With the aps available for dump stations and campgrounds, I am surprised there isn't one for places to get propane with pricing.
It's not an app, but this website has a map that shows propane fueling places, some with prices.

Alternative Fuel Fill Stations and Prices

Click on LPG (and unclick CNG) to get propane stations.

The content is user-driven, though, and is not very current, although they do give the age of the reported price. And it can be a lead on a place to get propane.

I wish more RVers would use it. I always submit an update if I call and get a price, and I submit a comment that indicates whether they can fill an onboard tank on an RV.

I'll disagree with most here and say that getting propane is a hassle. We have a 40-foot motorhome so we can't pull into just any U-Haul place, and since we fulltime, we don't have a known local "go-to" place.

At Flying J, they frequently position the propane fill area so you have to drive against the normal traffic in the parking lot, mixing it up with cars and RVs that are using the fuel pumps out front. It can be done, but you're not going to make any friends.

And right now, we're staying literally next door to Ferrelgas. It's a huge facility, but when we went to fill up there, it turned out the area where they fill consumer tanks is actually kind of tight and took some maneuvering, and we didn't even have the toad.

Filling the propane tank is probably my least favorite RV issue. At least with diesel, you can find truck stops all over the place, and they're highly visible, not to mention that their prices are posted outside. Propane couldn't be more different.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote