Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Propane tank Refill?

In a MH how much hassle is it to get the propane tank refilled? How do You do it? Can you always get the MH situated close enough to the fill area.

Or do you just call a propane truck that will come to your site?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Community Administrator

It's really not much different from pulling up to a fuel pump.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any good propane refilling station will have a hose long enough to reach your RV. You pick the station that is easy to get access to. It is not a problem refilling your built in tank. good luck and seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Most of your Class A's have a onboard propane tank and getting close is not a problem. Most RV places (camp sights) have propane. With winter almost over propane will last without using the heater. We have a so called 40 gallon onboard tank and with the temps from 50 down to 20 at night a tank will last us 2 to 3 weeks. The Norcold and Hot Water tank run on propane also. I have not gotten a chance to fix my water heater so we can run most everything on electric. We do run the Norcold on electric.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Flying J has propane, as do most truck stops. also many campgrounds have propane, although at higher prices. Ace hardware has it at many locations. I have also stopped at 7/11 stores when I see a LP tanker parked there (the guys were getting a coke and taking a break) and asked for a fill. I have had a motorhome since 1974 and have never ran out of LP or had a problem getting a fill.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

I never really paid attention to how long the refill hoses are. I will the next time I a at one.

The current station I use for other stuff has it's propane fill in tight corner off the side of the building.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
In a MH how much hassle is it to get the propane tank refilled? How do You do it? Can you always get the MH situated close enough to the fill area.

Or do you just call a propane truck that will come to your site?
Many commercial campgrounds have propane fill stations easy to get to, although if you are price sensitive they may not be the best places. Many Flying Js have accessible fill stations. My favorite places are propane distributors. Normally you can pull through the same fill stations they use to fill their own trucks and tanks, and because you are using the truck lanes, access is not a problem. We did have a delivery truck stop and fill our tank in a campground once, but I have been told most do not like to do that, and I have heard that new laws prevent that in some states.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As noted, filling propane is as easy or as hard as getting fuel. Same process, just different connection. Make sure that you don't park too close so that you can't open the propane hatch or connect the propane hose. As noted, usually gas stations that carry it will be the cheapest, though I found a rental center that also carries it for a dime or so cheaper.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

Just turn off the fridge and HWS and furnace when you pull in. The operator should grill you about it anyway. Also suggested you turn off the main outlet valve at the tank - and remember to turn on on again afterwards.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

You might also check some of the local LP gas companies; I called several last fall about filling an RV tank and was quoted prices from $3.00 per gallon to as low as $1.86 per gallon. Those two prices were less than 2 miles apart.

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
One consideration in asking for propane delivered to your RV. In South Carolina, called local propane company, he wanted $60 surcharge to run the truck to the campground. (7-8 miles??)
On the other hand, at a dog show, (Water & elec. only) they had a propane truck available and a honey wagon.

Usually propane is not hard to find, and most hoses are on a reel with plenty of reach.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

I wonder if a note was posted at the club house about splitting the delivery charge if you would get any takers. At the place I will be staying next winter there are cliques that might group together and coordinate propane delivery.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could get an Extend a Stay installed and use an external bottle which could be taken for filling without moving the motor home.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #14

bdickson - I will look into the 'Extend a Stay'.

Thanks