Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The posts above pretty much covered the fact that it is much a preference. Just like a home, RV's can be all electric (for an RV, it's a mix of 12VDC and 110VAC) or also with propane.

We have natural gas at the studs and stucco house - just like we have propane in the RV. These systems create "direct" energy from burning the gas fuel. Electricity does work as a "secondary" energy (created/stored, then reused) and therefore are slightly less efficient.

It's a personal choice...and we choose more options.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This is one of those topics you can count on popping up on a regular basis. A search of the site will reveal many other threads on "all electric".

If looking at an all electric coach it is, no doubt, a diesel pusher and the hot water and interior heat will be provided by a diesel fired boiler. Starting with a full fuel tank you could go months without having to worry about refueling. You'll run out of water and other commodities long before the fuel runs out (unless you're "camping" in the frozen north). The one thing that would be more of a challenge is indoor cooking (unless it's raining, there isn't much of anything you can't cook on the grill). The microwave will run off the battery bank, but not for long. To power the electric cook top you would have to power up the generator. Other than that, you have the same staying power of any LP tank equipped rig. We've "boondocked" for up to a week, using the gen set a couple of hours per day to cook and/or recharge.

Why no LP? I gain extra storage space where the LP tank would otherwise be. While it was not a consideration at the time we bought, we also found it convenient not to have to route around tunnels up and down the east coast. I hated having to find an LP station I could access, particularly in smaller communities, with our past motor homes. And as I mentioned earlier, I could sit for months and have hot water as long as I have access to water, and all the heat I'd ever need. Get a cold snap where we winter (central Florida) and all the LP furnace rigs are scrambling to get the LP tanks re-filled.

Bottom line, it comes down to personal use and preference.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The future of large RV's with residential refers and hydronic heating will be all electric. My coach is basically all electric except for a small two burner propane stove. For us, most of our cooking is done in the convection/microwave, so the propane burner is rarely used. Next month, I'll be replacing the burner with an induction unit and gain a large bay where the propane tank is currently.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

As many have pointed out, it all depends on how you like to use it and what your other half wants. My DW cooks. WHen she really gets going the three burners on top are running, the LP oven is perking and the microwave is singing. In addition, we boondock a lot and the Hydro-hot system has an EXTREMELY high electric draw. It took us 3 years to convince Bob Tiffin to build us a 43' with a gas range, LP hot water (as well as electric) and LP gas heat. We've retrofitted with 540 watts of solar, all LED lights, and a dedicated inverter for the refrigerator, a basement freezer and a 17 cu ft chest freezer we use when fishing in Alaska.

Our rig also has an aux feed for the LP so I can hook up a 20# gas bottle (or larger) when in the woods, and a number of other power saving things. For us, this coach is perfect, for others, it might be their worst nightmare.

THe only issue we have is that we are definitely in the minority as tiffin has gone to all electric coaches. Bob has said he will not build another like ours, even for other people we've talked to, so this will be our last Tiffin.

By the way, we've found our basement and overall storage has increased, not decreased. We carry a 14' inflatable boat, boat trailer, all fishing gear for Alaska, including shrimp pots, retrievers, down riggers, and a 3.5 cu ft basement freezer, and enough tools to fix most any problem. Storage is not a problem in this rig.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you can always find a 50 amp site and never boondock or park on a 30 amp site all electric coaches may be OK,

But most of use sometimes find ourselves on a 30 amp or worse yet a zero amp (Boondock) site and when this happens.... You may find propane very useful.

So why even make all electric coaches.. Some folks FEAR propane.

Last night when I left for Darling Daughters to doggie sit I forgot to turn on the heat in the Motor home,, Cats were Ok, I mean they just ruffeled their fur coats a bit to provide better insulation.

But for me it was a bit chilly, I fired off both my electric heaters and burned propane to bring it up quickly. Then turned off the propane furnace cause.... Well,,,, Electricity included in site rental.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #20

Thanks for all the feedback. I can see from all the answers there is no perfect answer it really depends on an individuals needs and the way you plan to use your camper. Again thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
SCBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
... In addition, we boondock a lot and the Hydro-hot system has an EXTREMELY high electric draw..
Only if you turn it on.

When we "boondock", I leave the electric switch off and use the diesel burner exclusively.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 12-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Only if you turn it on.

When we "boondock", I leave the electric switch off and use the diesel burner exclusively.
?????? And if you don't turn it on, you don't have heat or hot water. I'm not talking about the resistance heaters, I'm talking about fans, pumps valves and burner.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #23

On those chilly nights where no wood campfires are allowed, propane, long hose with a quick connect, and our lp fire pit is just the answer to having a campfire. ( I do not want to carry one of those 20lb tanks)
I just plug the pit into my outdoor kitchen, along with my grill....oh yes, I second the quick response of the 2 lp furnaces mentioned earlier. BUT, a residential fridge is also an
Excellent choice!
I guess some of us want it ALL.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Personal preference for sure. We went all electric. After years of propane there is a learning curve. We overnight occasionally and have no issue with electric deficiencies. Batteries last and have ample power for overnight.

Running the generator is not an issue and regular excercising of it is recommended by all who write about generators.

Anyone who wishes to run the AC must run the generator or be hooked to land power.

I am not sure but I got the impression from some of the postings there is an option where you can have an aqua hot water heater and a propane furnace?? Or does the propane fire the aqua hot?? (Help with this) If that is the case the electric draw for both is likely the same and propane use is expanded to cover hot water (I think?)

There are numerous threads where solar panels allow serious successful off the grid camping. It is a matter of judicious use of power and sufficient panels to supply adequate power.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #25

I have a 2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus all electric. I like most was concerned about losing my propane option. Think about it. What do you use your propane for? Heat, hot water and cooking. If you are all electric, usually you have an aqua hot system which runs off diesel. Works great for Heat and Hot water. My cook top is electric induction and heats water in about 90 seconds, easy to clean too. Boondocking, who cares about environment, you are in a Walmart parking lot. run that generator. I can't remember the last time I had only a 30 am service even in state parks. Oh well I like it. Gives me an extra bay to put my ice chest and no more pulling up to the propane fill up.
yankeetroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
?????? And if you don't turn it on, you don't have heat or hot water. I'm not talking about the resistance heaters, I'm talking about fans, pumps valves and burner.
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were referring to use of the electric heating element.

As for using more power than the typical LP furnace (or likely two, if your rig is 30' or longer), you may be right. All electric coaches will typically come with more batteries though, 6 or 8 rather than 2 or 4.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
I've seen this 'all electric' question pop up a couple times. It seems reasonable to conclude that the best option is one that fits your particular needs, blah blah blah.

But I've always wondered what advantages there are to going all electric? I mean, why limit your options? Is it just because there's one less system to monitor and maintain? Or less weight to carry and account for?

For me, even if you never plan on using propane it would be nice to have it and not use it rather than need it and not have it. So I'm just wondering what part of the equation I'm missing?

+1. I agree.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
I've seen this 'all electric' question pop up a couple times. It seems reasonable to conclude that the best option is one that fits your particular needs, blah blah blah.

But I've always wondered what advantages there are to going all electric? I mean, why limit your options? Is it just because there's one less system to monitor and maintain? Or less weight to carry and account for?

For me, even if you never plan on using propane it would be nice to have it and not use it rather than need it and not have it. So I'm just wondering what part of the equation I'm missing?

Well, without getting into the "reefer fire" debate, and without a discussion about "all electric", I really prefer the residential reefer because of it's larger interior in the same footprint. Same thing for my all-electric hot water heater. In my case, they are conversions.

Tags
propane