Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Balancing beads cost me $4 per tire, why would I not have them put in.
I did get a bad Goodyear tire once that was way out of balance.

Jerry

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #16

I have 11R-22.5 tires on my Vectra, I have never heard of tires that size ever going on a balancing machine. My dumptrucks have the same size and I know they have never been balanced. How does one balance such large and heavy tires?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
As a former tractor trailer driver from many moon ago, I was taught the reason you needn't balance truck tires was because due to their large size, they just do not rotate at the same RPM as smaller car tires do therefore no need to balance.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
As a former tractor trailer driver from many moon ago, I was taught......
With absolutely no offense intended, you were the victim of the perpetuation of an urban legend. Although the RPM might be somewhat less, due to the weight of the larger tire/wheel, the amount of imbalance can be potentially greater. There's no reason to transmit these imbalance forces into the drivetrain (axle/hub bearings, suspension, etc.) or chassis when they can be checked and corrected by balancing.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
With absolutely no offense intended, you were the victim of the perpetuation of an urban legend. Although the RPM might be somewhat less, due to the weight of the larger tire/wheel, the amount of imbalance can be potentially greater. There's no reason to transmit these imbalance forces into the drivetrain (axle/hub bearings, suspension, etc.) or chassis when they can be checked and corrected by balancing.

Rusty
it could also be when I was a trailer jockey, it was in the mid to late '70s when the national speed limit was 55. at that speed you could actually count the revolutions of the tires.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I think that they all need to be balanced so the tires can wear correctly with no lumps or dips in them mainly auto and tractor tractor tires or tires that are designed to go more than 55 MPH.

I use EQUAL tire balance powder, works well.

Happy RVing, James
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #21

I just had 6 new Michelins installed three months ago. The company that sold and came to my yard and installed them did not balance any of them. Their policy is that if there is a balance issue with them then they will address it at no cost to the customer. After driving over a thousand miles they are shake free.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #22

I recently had dually valves installed by Freigtliner on my rears. The guy who was removing the tires asked me if I wanted the tires balanced due to the increased weight of the valves. Long story short. I thought it was a good idea and told him to go ahead. We kept talking during the install and I said to him that I had not noticed any vibration coming from the rear. He explained to me that most often out of balance rear tires will not be noticed while driving as opposed to the front where you are sitting right over the tires and have your hands on the wheel. He said that while changing tires their shop always balances all tires. 90% of their business is long haul trucking companies.

Dick
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just bought 6 new michelins and had all of them spin balanced. One did not require any weights. It's spin balance only for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #24

Just ordered a set of centramatics wheel balancers today for my 2013 Newmar Baystar. It seems to ride very smooth up to about 70 mph. But ithe centramatics are said to do wonders for ride and tire wear. Also ordered a set for one of my semi trucks, and I have never tried them before. Will report soon on their performance!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #25

By the way we have never balanced the drive axles on our semis in the 39 years I
Have been in the trucking for 39 years. But we will give it a try. Only about $200 dollars a axle to do the centramatic
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If it rotates, balance it.

Rusty
x2

balance them puppies
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
As others have stated, the cost to use balaning beads is so low why not do it. I used Magnum Beads in my 6 new tires. Nice smooth ride. Just because you cant feel it in the streering wheel doesnt mean the tires are rolling true
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
As others have stated, the cost to use balaning beads is so low why not do it. I used Magnum Beads in my 6 new tires. Nice smooth ride. Just because you cant feel it in the streering wheel doesnt mean the tires are rolling true
Have used beads on the steer of semi trucks. Could not tell any difference, with or without them. Used the beads on a half ton gmc and it shook so bad we had to take it back to Goodyear, have the beads removed and spin balance the tires and use regular lead weights. Beads are a joke and I will never use them again. It's computerized spin balance only for me now. On the centramatics you spin balance you tire and wheel first, then install the centramatics on the hub, before the wheel, or between the wheels on dual wheel applications. Then they keep the whole wheel end balanced. Tire, wheel, brake rotor and bearings. They run right at $200 per axle. Have a set coming for the motorhome and a semi, and may have them on this week.

Tags
tires