Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

Pros & Cons of choosing a 36 ft vs longer

Hello, We are new to this site. We are considering buying a 36 ft Paeton or Bus. Any opinions on getting a 36 ft vs. a larger size unit? What are the potential disadvantages & advantages. We are thinking 36 ft is easier to manuver... and can get into more State & National parks. What are the down sides to this?

thanks,

~ ERIC & SANDI
Earthwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

A lot depends on how you plan to use it and if you can get the features you need in that floorplan. We are still part-time and a couple of years ago went from a 32 to a 38. In New England finding large enough campsites takes reservations in the busy season as most of the older campgrounds only have a couple that work well. Fueling with the toad attached is a little more challanging but you learn the types of stations you can get in and out of. Going down the road its not really much different. In summary for part-time I would stay as small as the required space requirement you have would allow or if you plan out of the way locations. If full timing is the game, get what you can live long term comfortable in and not worry as much about the extra size. Milage is not that diffrent, more storage the better and as you are looking Diesel power is not a issue either.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have owned a 39' class A now 44' so some may feel we are biased, not so. If you are considering spending greater than one month at a time, max in my opinion then sticking to state parks the vast majority of the time then yes stick with the smaller rig. If your plans are wintering or longer periods then go 39 or larger. Fleetwood and Thor have great new floor plans in the 33' range. IMHO go with the DP if you have long term purchasing goals. For our needs wish we had not purchased our first coach then the second. Lost some valuable time and money. Glad you are at IRV2. You will really get great info here!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwalker View Post
Hello, We are new to this site. We are considering buying a 36 ft Paeton or Bus. Any opinions on getting a 36 ft vs. a larger size unit? What are the potential disadvantages & advantages. We are thinking 36 ft is easier to manuver... and can get into more State & National parks. What are the down sides to this?

thanks,

~ ERIC & SANDI
Are you talking about a used or new coach? I can only give my experience. Your chances of staying with a 36 foot are slim if only for the extra space and storage. I would say go with a 40 at minimum. Your point is true about getting into state and National parks but you should not have any problem with a 40 foot. Some forestry campgrounds would be a problem even with a 36 foot. If you plan to use the coach often and stay for any length of time over a week you will appreciate the extra 4 feet. If you do go for a 36 foot I would recommend a good quality used coach, so when you decide to move up you will not take such a big hit. Many of us on this forum have been at the point where you are now. There is not a substantial difference in maneuvering especially after you have taken a few trips. The coaches you are looking at are both good quality and have a large following

Good Luck in your search
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the main thing is look at the floor plans and get what fits you. 36 or 40 foot is only four foot difference but three are lots of choices.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Recently moved to a 37' coach - really enjoying thr roominess - well outweighs the minor negatives.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

We currently have a 36 ft coach and for the most part have had no issues with CG's. Sure some are tight and some are just not going to work, but we investigate that in advance. For the most part, if a site will accomodate a 36 ft coach, a 40 or larger will fit. We have decided to get a new coach this year and will likely end up with something over 40 ft. The extra storage is handy plus when you get larger, you usually have more ammenities such as residential refer, aqua-hot,etc. .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

I too am new to the scene. We were looking at 30' Class C's and ended up walking away with a 37' Class A DP. I live in it five days a week then commute home on weekends. From a roominess and storage standpoint, there's no comparison for space as others have said. It did take a bit getting used to but now after two months of owning it i'm glad we went bigger.

One thing I have found out is while a foot or two here or there doesn't seem like much, it makes a big difference in things like counter space, vanity size, closet space, etc. Make sure to envision yourselves and all your stuff inside, see if the shower cuts it or you can live with a smaller closet than anticipated.

Personally I don't think my 37' is any harder to manuver than the 35' I drove first. After a few outings you don't even notice it. Get what feels right so you don't have regrets!
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote