Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
A couple of questions for Diplomat Don:
  • Have you ever had to deal with a clogged or failed pump?
  • If so is it a DIY project?
  • How easy is it to clean the pump if it has a simple clog?
  • If it clogs, do you have the option to easily, without a mess, use a slinky until you can get it fixed?
  • If you are camping with the grey water open, do you use a slinky for the grey water or does each gallon of grey go through the macerator, or does it flow by gravity through the 1" hose?
  • Is the pump any more noisy than the RV water pump?
These weren't directed at me, but I'll add our experience w/ the sanicon

-> Yes, we've had to deal w/ a clogged pump. Hair (especially) can get wound around the internal impeller blade and impede flow
-> Yes, and yes. It's super-easy to clean and a DIY job. Depending on your access you can either just take off the hose attachments and use one of those plumbing "grabber" tools to take out the clog, or unscrew the pump, take it out and clean it from there. We clean it out once/year and it takes no more than an hour to do the whole job (we're slow).
-> Yes, in our coach we DO have the ability to completely bypass the sanicon by simply attaching a regular stinky slinky to the tank drain valves. Just unhook the sanicon & hook-up a slinky.
-> If we're camping somewhere w/ the grey valve open we just let it gravity flow thro' the macerator 1" hose. Never had any issues.
-> I don't find the pump any noisier than the water pump. It certainly makes some noise, but it pumps fast

Nina

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
CJ7ole
  • To start, the SaniCon has a 3" hose that connects to "Y" on your coach that comes from the two holding tanks. The same "Y" you would use to connect a standard 3" hose. Last month, while at the Grand Canyon, an old piece of plastic bound up the pump blade (I have no idea where the plastic came from). My choice was to disconnect the SaniCon hose and put on a 3" hose or repair the SaniCon. In the case of a failure, you would have to drain whatever fluid is in the 18" long 3" hose from your drain valve to the SaniCon. On my coach, there is a 6" drain hole under the "Y" connection to drop a standard 3" hose through if you used one. I disconnected the SaniCon hose and let it drain through the opening into a bucket. I unscrewed the end of the SaniCon and removed the plastic. It took me about 15 minutes. In seven years of ownership, I took the pump apart the first year to clear out a moist towelette type towel. After 6 years I installed a new impeller as a prevenative measure and then this incident at the Grand Canyon. So three issues in 7 plus years.
  • If so is it a DIY project? Yes....about 20 minutes.
  • How easy is it to clean the pump if it has a simple clog? Disconnect the 3" hose, unscrew the nose cone, (pvc plumbing fitting) and remove clog. You can also leave the nose cone on and reach in with long needle nose or a grabber and remove clog.
  • If it clogs, do you have the option to easily, without a mess, use a slinky until you can get it fixed? If it clogs, you would have to drain about a quart out of the hose.
  • If you are camping with the grey water open, do you use a slinky for the grey water or does each gallon of grey go through the macerator, or does it flow by gravity through the 1" hose? The SaniCon has a bypass hose (on the unit) that allows you to leave your grey tank valve open. Grey water passes through the SaniCon unit and out the one inch hose. The one inch hose is connected to the drain, just like a 3" hose, just less hassle.
  • Is the pump any more noisy than the RV water pump? The pump is noisier than a water pump. It makes a humming noise. You only run it when breaking camp/when your tanks are full. If I'm parked close to another RV, I close the utility bay door while it's running. If you were sitting inside your coach 10' away, I doubt you would know it was running.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Gotta thank all who replied, I'm thinkin that I will have to give it a fair old try just to see how it works and then I guess I;ll figure which way I like best. Gotta admit I do like how easy it sounds to set up and put away too!
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
A couple of questions for Diplomat Don:
  • If so is it a DIY project?
  • How easy is it to clean the pump if it has a simple clog?
  • If it clogs, do you have the option to easily, without a mess, use a slinky until you can get it fixed?
  • If you are camping with the grey water open, do you use a slinky for the grey water or does each gallon of grey go through the macerator, or does it flow by gravity through the 1" hose?
  • Is the pump any more noisy than the RV water pump?
Not Don, but I have a Sanicon, so I'll give you my take on these.

1. Yes. Using "flushable wipes" rather than plain toilet paper can cause this. Or too much hair.

2. Yes. Tearing it down is not a major project, if it's easy to remove from your wet bay. That depends on how it was installed. Newmar didn't put disconnects for the 12V power, so I had to cut the wires and then add connections back in the first time I wanted to take it out.

3. Takes an hour or so to do the full teardown, clean out, and reinstall. For me, anyway.

4. Sort of. And it depends on the original OEM install. The messy part is disconnecting the large hose that feeds the macerator. If it's full, it can be a mess. But then you just connect your slinky instead of the Sanicon to the bayonet fitting and use it as normal.

5. Sanicon's have a small (1/2"?) bypass hose that goes "past" the macerator. If your gray valve is open, gray water should go through this small bypass and down the 1" hose to the sewer (gravity feed). So it doesn't go through the macerator.

6. Slightly noisier. But you're only running it for 10-15 minutes for a full dump.

One thing no one has mentioned yet - the impeller in the pump is made from rubber, and will wear out. So you have to plan on a tear-down eventually to replace it, even if you never get a clog. For us, as full-timers, that was about 3 years until it didn't pump at all. How long it will last for you will vary. But if you decide to do a tear down for a clog, replacing the impeller at the same time is probably a good idea. I wish I had the first time.

I'll also refer you to this post for further consideration.

http://blog.rv.net/2010/02/a-glimpse...ck-tank-tales/
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
One thing no one has mentioned yet - the impeller in the pump is made from rubber, and will wear out. So you have to plan on a tear-down eventually to replace it, even if you never get a clog. For us, as full-timers, that was about 3 years until it didn't pump at all. How long it will last for you will vary. But if you decide to do a tear down for a clog, replacing the impeller at the same time is probably a good idea. I wish I had the first time.
Yup we replaced our impeller blade this year (after 3 years of fulltiming & fulltime use of the sanicon). Wasn't difficult and a DIY job. We probably ran it slightly longer than we should have before doing the replacement too. I think the 2 year point would have been more prudent.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Sanicon but I still use the 3in hose with the slink when I'm parked for a minimum of 10 day or more in a campground because it's much faster to dump with the 3 inche hose. When I travel and during short stays I use the Sanicon which is easy to use without any installation. I also use it when I dump at Flying J while fueling. With the long 21 ft hose I can slide it under the motorhome and reach the dump station on the other side of the fueling isle.

I also use it at home to dump in my sewer which is far away. I than connect a 3/4 X 75 ft hose to connect it to the sewer. Also I've used it several times while dry camping for periods a week or longer. I can then dump the gray water into 2 6 gallon tanks and than bring those containers at the dump station.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I also use a nice Rhino 3" hose where we're out our summer lot in Michigan. As jacmat says, it's much faster to dump that way. But I only do that when we're somewhere for an extended period, and where the location of the sewer is a good fit for the length of the 3" hose. For short stays, the Sanicon is much more convenient.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Yup we replaced our impeller blade this year (after 3 years of fulltiming & fulltime use of the sanicon). Wasn't difficult and a DIY job. We probably ran it slightly longer than we should have before doing the replacement too. I think the 2 year point would have been more prudent.
Agreed. At 3 years it wasn't pumping at all anymore. The blades on the impeller were all about 1/4" long at that point.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pros and cons:

Pros: The pump can push the stuff from the tanks uphill and far away, 50-100 feet on level ground or a couple feet UP, I have been in parks where the sewer inlet was ABOVE the tank outlet, I've also been in places where I needed every inch of my 50 foot hose.

Fairly clean and neat.. Many people much prefer the smaller hose to wrestling with and storing the 3" stinky slinky.

Cons: IT IS SLOW, way slower than a good gravity dump.

Some folks feel that the "Woosh factor" is lost (The WOOSH fascor moves stuff that has not yet broken down out the outlet and into the hole in the ground) how much of an issue this is I do not know cause by the nest time you dump that stuff that remained behind, will be liquified.

IT EATS POWER and it can fail (jam, burn out, or otherwise fail).I mean it is a machine.

SEWER SOLUTION... This is a water powered competitor.. Same pros only it can't pump as far or as high

Same cons save mechinical break down, Uses a lot of fresh water to do a job that a few watts of electricity does better to make up for that one, REQUIRES WATER UNDER PRESSURE not always handy.

3" Quick, fast, low cost, only failure mode is leak or broken hose or connector comes off, all of which make a mell of a hess as they say.

I have a flo-jet portable, use it when I must, use 3" most of the time.

NOTE: The sanicon does have a short 3" hose, if it fails you can disconnect it and use a standard 3" dump hose.. This is a good thing.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
OK, where did you guys get the impellers for the sani-con? I've got the system and like most wouldn't be with out it. I haven't had any problems out of mine yet, but would like to be ready if the time comes...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
OK, where did you guys get the impellers for the sani-con? I've got the system and like most wouldn't be with out it. I haven't had any problems out of mine yet, but would like to be ready if the time comes...
We got ours directly from the manufacturer (Thetford). Might be other folks who know a cheaper place, but that's where we bought ours.
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/A...6/Default.aspx
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
It's a Shurflo 94-571-00 kit. You can find lots of places with a web search. I haven't figured out where's the best place to buy it. The last place I got one doesn't list them on their website anymore. He had a decent price, but way overcharged me on shipping (IMHO).
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #27

Run dry masticating pumps are available and removes the need to replace impellers. I got mine on ebay.

An added improvement, if you can swing it, is a 24 volt pump which is vastly more efficient.

Ed