Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pros and Cons of the SaniCon

Since the new coach we have on order comes with a SaniCon macerator sewar hose, was just wondering what the real benifits of having one was.

I've never had any problems with a good 3" slinky and was just curious as to why I would want to use the SaniCon over the standard 3" Sewar hose

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

The ability to pump out rather than just gravity flow can be a plus. We got a Flo-Jet macerator pump for our trailer to pump out into our septic tank at home. Very handy!

Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Its mostly for pumping it long distances where some up hill may be needed.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why purchase one? If you have to park your unit and you can't drain it then it may be useful. But, why not just stop at Flying J, pilot or someplace and dump and forget about it. Macerator pumps can be a royal pain in the backside. They really aren't needed if one plans ahead of dump time.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I just read a guy that had a pump. The flow into the pump was so slow that after one year the black tank and valves were clogged with waste. They went back to 3 inch slinky and no issus.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I just read a guy that had a pump. The flow into the pump was so slow that after one year the black tank and valves were clogged with waste. They went back to 3 inch slinky and no issus.
If you had one, especially the SaniCon, you would realize how silly this quote sounds! People think they have to have the whoosh of a 3' hose to make your tank drain. Take a look at your tank, IT'S ANGLED, and most of your new coaches come with flush systems.

Some will like them and some won't. Mostly the people who never had one won't like them. We've been camping and dragging around sewer hoses for 31 years before we bought the coach with the SaniCon seven years ago. I wouldn't own a coach without one.

How they work: The pump sits in the utility bay next to your drain valves. They use a 1' hose that coils up in the bay and is capped. The hose will easily stretch 20' and you can use an additional 20', if needed, by just slipping it on. Extend the hose, remove the screw on cap and place in the sewer hole. The unit has a bypass that allows you to leave the grey water valve open during your stay. When it's time to dump the black tank, you close the grey valve, open the black valve and turn on the pump. Mine has a built-in flush that I run as I'm draining. The hose DOES NOT need to be cleaned, just put the screw cap back on when done.

I will be the first to say that a 3" hose will drain your tank quicker. We camp with another couple that uses the 3" hose. On occasions where we're just dumping at a dump facility, I can have my SaniCon in the sewer hole before he gets his hose out. We both finish about the same time and I never have to clean a hose or put it back into storage somewhere.

Benefits:

- When dry camping you occasionally run out of grey water space before black water space. Since most tanks sit side by side, you can open up both valves and the grey tank with more fluid will drain into the black tank until they equalize. Close the valves and you have some extra storage.

- I often do the above when I want to drain the tanks and don't have water to flush or don't want to hook up to water. I drain the black tank and then open the grey tank valve. The grey water flows into the black tank until they're equalized. I drain the soapy water from the black tank (which is good for it), close the black valve and then drain the remaining grey.

- A lot of states are now requiring that your hose be completely off the ground. Now you have to get out the stinky slinky and set it up. With the SaniCon, I just leave the hose in the coach until I'm full. I quickly drain the tanks and then put the hose, still connected back in the utility bay. No special procedure, just stuff it in a corner.

- Lastly, I never deal with sewer or the chance of touching sewer water. I don't have to rinse and dry out a hose.

When you get your new coach, give the SaniCon a chance. If you don't like it, go back to the 3"hose. One suggestion I would make. Before using it the first time, flush the tank a couple of times with a regular 3" hose. Often, debris like screws, plastic cutouts and other debris fall into the tank uring construction dand are hard on the pump. No feminine products or moist towletts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of questions for Diplomat Don:
  • Have you ever had to deal with a clogged or failed pump?
  • If so is it a DIY project?
  • How easy is it to clean the pump if it has a simple clog?
  • If it clogs, do you have the option to easily, without a mess, use a slinky until you can get it fixed?
  • If you are camping with the grey water open, do you use a slinky for the grey water or does each gallon of grey go through the macerator, or does it flow by gravity through the 1" hose?
  • Is the pump any more noisy than the RV water pump?
Frankly, these are reasons I have conjured up in my head to not use a macerator, but I truly don't know the answers and would like your feedback, as I am sure would the OP.

My only experience with an RV macerator was an RV neighbor a few years back that would sit next to his utility bay each morning, drink his coffee and run his pump. Seemed silly at the time as I assumed he was just playing with his new toy.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Quote:
If you had one, especially the SaniCon, you would realize how silly this quote sounds! People think they have to have the whoosh of a 3' hose to make your tank drain. Take a look at your tank, IT'S ANGLED, and most of your new coaches come with flush systems.

Some will like them and some won't. Mostly the people who never had one won't like them. We've been camping and dragging around sewer hoses for 31 years before we bought the coach with the SaniCon seven years ago. I wouldn't own a coach without one.

How they work: The pump sits in the utility bay next to your drain valves. They use a 1' hose that coils up in the bay and is capped. The hose will easily stretch 20' and you can use an additional 20', if needed, by just slipping it on. Extend the hose, remove the screw on cap and place in the sewer hole. The unit has a bypass that allows you to leave the grey water valve open during your stay. When it's time to dump the black tank, you close the grey valve, open the black valve and turn on the pump. Mine has a built-in flush that I run as I'm draining. The hose DOES NOT need to be cleaned, just put the screw cap back on when done.

I will be the first to say that a 3" hose will drain your tank quicker. We camp with another couple that uses the 3" hose. On occasions where we're just dumping at a dump facility, I can have my SaniCon in the sewer hole before he gets his hose out. We both finish about the same time and I never have to clean a hose or put it back into storage somewhere.

Benefits:

- When dry camping you occasionally run out of grey water space before black water space. Since most tanks sit side by side, you can open up both valves and the grey tank with more fluid will drain into the black tank until they equalize. Close the valves and you have some extra storage.

- I often do the above when I want to drain the tanks and don't have water to flush or don't want to hook up to water. I drain the black tank and then open the grey tank valve. The grey water flows into the black tank until they're equalized. I drain the soapy water from the black tank (which is good for it), close the black valve and then drain the remaining grey.

- A lot of states are now requiring that your hose be completely off the ground. Now you have to get out the stinky slinky and set it up. With the SaniCon, I just leave the hose in the coach until I'm full. I quickly drain the tanks and then put the hose, still connected back in the utility bay. No special procedure, just stuff it in a corner.

- Lastly, I never deal with sewer or the chance of touching sewer water. I don't have to rinse and dry out a hose.

When you get your new coach, give the SaniCon a chance. If you don't like it, go back to the 3"hose. One suggestion I would make. Before using it the first time, flush the tank a couple of times with a regular 3" hose. Often, debris like screws, plastic cutouts and other debris fall into the tank uring construction dand are hard on the pump. No feminine products or moist towletts.
X2 or 3. I've never used my stinky slinky in 5 and a half years. The pump requires some amount of maintenance but what doesn't. In all that time I've had to replace the rubber impeller once, but I clean the blades every year. Still worth it. Give it a try before you decide which way to go.
BigSkyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
[QUOTE

Great bit of info in your post Don, and it's making me look at the whole idea differently.

Really gotta thank you for the heads up on using the 3" hose the first couple of times, that's a great piece of info

Thanks
Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #10

I concur with Don. I've always used the slinky, and bought the sanicon box with my current RV. It is a great benefit and definitely much cleaner way of doing things. I get the added benefit of draining at home into a clean out at the side if the house. Most negative feedback I've read are people without them or some other type of brand.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I think the sanicon is a great system. My only complaint is it takes a little longer to drain.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
When it does clog at an inopportune time such as at the dump with people waiting it is VERY frustrating. This happened to me with our 06 and for the time being I am just using the regular hose. I used it for the first 3 months of ownership and thought it was pretty slick. I have no idea on previous maintenance but I do know if you have one you better have a plan in case it fails!
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #13

My feeling after having one that failed, motor stopped, I'm back to the good old dependable 3" gravity feed. I loved the sanicon when it worked. So easy to store the hose. Just flush it, cap it and stow her away. Very light weight hose. It is a lot slower to empty the tanks and I feel the quick purge of effluent out the 3" hose is better for cleaning out the tanks. When the unit stops you better have the tanks plumbed for the usual 3" hose. I reconfigured mine so I can use either system. I tend to now only use the 3" hose method. I lost faith in the sanicon, not sure why though. If you move from sites a lot and like hooking up to the sewer all the time then the sanicon is better.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
For us I find it's nice to have the pump feature (you can pump anywhere in any direction) and it's really clean (don't have to deal w/ hooking & unhooking any stinky hoses). I find it super-simple to use and never mind doing the dump job (yes, I am a woman).

It DOES require maintenance. Hair and other things can get wrapped around and "stuck" in the impeller blades and impede flow. We take it out once a year and clean it up. Veeery easy to do and I participate in that too.

Nina