Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #29

Do a search on Federal Law regarding safe carry of long guns. The problem you will discover is the interpretation (by law enforcement officers) of "passenger compartments" within motorhomes, hatchbacks, vans, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We use the much more mundane protection of wasp spray. It will go 20 feet and incapicitate anyone it strikes in the eyes.

Question for those of you who "pack heat" in your RV. Have any of you ever had to use your protection?
Yes, and legally. As to the OP question it was about legally transporting a firearm. As to the use of wasp spray you should also check the laws of using it in the various states. Wasp spray is a potent mixture of chemicals designed to kill wasps, and when sprayed into a humanís eyes or inhaled through the nose or mouth, the affects are quite hazardous and long-lasting. In fact, the attacker would suffer the symptoms until they acquire an antidote, which means a hospital visit. To anyone who has ever felt seriously endangered by an attacker, this may sound like karma stepping in to punish a criminal. In reality, what it means is that you can be held legally responsible for the damage that you caused by using wasp spray for anything other than repelling and killing wasps. If you read the label of most forms of wasp spray, it states that using the spray on humans is illegal, which means you are likely to end up sued even if your target attacked you first.

I think wasp spay is only a deterent when used and then the damage is done. I prefer to avoid inflicting harm if I can deter an aggressor with other options.

Check the laws for any weapon in each state you are traveling to understand what laws you may be subject too.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I was hit by law enforcement grade pepper spray once by mistake............took me out for about 30 min. Very painful!!!!!!! Does anyone know why you can't take bear spray into Canada?
I've been sprayed as well,... at The Police Acadamy. Your right the stuff works. However we were shown and taught that you can still see, fight, and shoot if you must after getting hit with its effects. It gets in your hair but you can't feel it there,....till you take a shower and rinse it out of your hair and onto your skin. You will feel it for about 3 hair washings.

As former LEO I carry a fullsize 9MM near my my bed. Mag loaded, no round in chamber. Since I can't go directly from Cab to the back where the bed is its not a issue.
Cops have much better things to do than hassle folks in RVs.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Per the so-called "Castle Law" referred to earlier:

By itself and without specific legislation it's not a law so much as a legal theory, much touted as doctrinally cast in stone Nationally, but rarely successful as a defense except in States that have some codified version of it.

It's not as cut and dried as some folks here seem to believe, and as with other gun-related laws there's considerable variation from State to State. Some have codified such a law; the majority have not.

Here's a Wikipedia link that briefly explains the concept, and which contains a reasonably up-to-date set of links to the statutes of the twenty or so States who have such a law on the books.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Do a search on Federal Law regarding safe carry of long guns. The problem you will discover is the interpretation (by law enforcement officers) of "passenger compartments" within motorhomes, hatchbacks, vans, etc.
Most are only interested to what is within reach without leaving the driver and/or passenger seats.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This site has a link which tells you which states will honor your permit.

Handgunlaw.us

Have a safe trip,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Yes, and legally. As to the OP question it was about legally transporting a firearm. As to the use of wasp spray you should also check the laws of using it in the various states. Wasp spray is a potent mixture of chemicals designed to kill wasps, and when sprayed into a humanís eyes or inhaled through the nose or mouth, the affects are quite hazardous and long-lasting. In fact, the attacker would suffer the symptoms until they acquire an antidote, which means a hospital visit. To anyone who has ever felt seriously endangered by an attacker, this may sound like karma stepping in to punish a criminal. In reality, what it means is that you can be held legally responsible for the damage that you caused by using wasp spray for anything other than repelling and killing wasps. If you read the label of most forms of wasp spray, it states that using the spray on humans is illegal, which means you are likely to end up sued even if your target attacked you first.

I think wasp spay is only a deterent when used and then the damage is done. I prefer to avoid inflicting harm if I can deter an aggressor with other options.

Check the laws for any weapon in each state you are traveling to understand what laws you may be subject too.

Very good point, but "packing" wasp spray doesn't get one into the potential legal jams that packing a Glock will. Here in NY the concealed weapons laws are very strict and the use of force of any kind can get you sued. If you have ever dealt with the courts of any kind, you know that legal hassles can be expensive and even though you are right, it may not do you any good.

I really question the need to carry any firearms in an RV. Are there bad people out there? Yep, no doubt, but is it really necessary to be armed to the teeth? The danger of a loaded weapon in a moving vehicle would seem to me to be far more of a potential hazard than the perceived bad guys out to get you.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, after reading these threads for years;

If you are on the road, then your RV is going to be considered a vehicle.

Once set up in a campground, your RV may or may not be considered your home as the laws are different in each state, county, township, parish, borough, city, town or municipality and the officer's understanding of said laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
True but the inside of your MH is your home and you can carry as long AS IT'S INSIDE. I know because we volunteer in state parks as host and so far all of the rangers have stated that.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
What not to do.

I can't stop laughing because of what Thread #11 said about Thread #8. I concur, does any one remember what it was like the last time you went to the 4th of July fire works display?
That may give you a sample of what to exspect if it did catch on fire.
Which I hope never happens.
Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
As is made clear by the discussion at My Firefighter Nation , ammo exploding in fires is no joke to those that have to fight those fires.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Did you know you can also get a Florida permit even when not a resident. Good in 33 states.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
As is made clear by the discussion at My Firefighter Nation , ammo exploding in fires is no joke to those that have to fight those fires.
One of the reasons all ammo except that which is on my belt is in the fire resistant safe, both at home and in the MH.

While we are free (to some degree) to own weapons and ammunition, it comes with a requirement to be responsible.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
IMHO, after reading these threads for years;

If you are on the road, then your RV is going to be considered a vehicle.

Once set up in a campground, your RV may or may not be considered your home as the laws are different in each state, county, township, parish, borough, city, town or municipality and the officer's understanding of said laws.
100% correct.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I think the best advise I can offer is to stop advertising with bumper stickers, warning signs saying beware of owner, gun club emblems and the like. Keep your gun a secret and use it only as a last resort. Be a responsible gun owner and keep a level head. There is a saying... I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by six. I would rather be alive and explain to the police and the courts why the burglar/mugger/rapist/psycho is dead on the floor then be plant fodder somewhere. JMHO

Closed Thread